• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

glutamate / glutamic acid supplement safety

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have found that taking about 100 mg of glutamic acid helps greatly with depression for about 2 hours, so I'm planning to experiment more.

Has anybody else used glutamate or glutamic acid supplements? I was wondering if you might have pointers for safety and so forth. If I used 100 mg every 2 hours then I would be taking 500 mg per day.

Also I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for other things I might try that are related to glutamic acid. I am puzzled that glutamic acid helps, because my diet has plenty of glutamate. Something is fishy.

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am puzzled that glutamic acid helps, because my diet has plenty of glutamate. Something is fishy.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Your normal dietary requirement was undoubtedly already met, but taking large amounts to obtain a substantial psychological or physiological response is different. In that case, it is similar to taking a drug -- and in fact some prescribed drugs are effectively large doses of ordinary nutrients.

I have had experience with large amounts of sharp cheese bringing temporary relief from depression. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some relationship to your experience, although I've forgotten the biochemistry involved.

In the old days, they used to prescribe tricyclics and similar drugs, with known specific effects on the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. I don't know what specific biochemical reactions can be claimed for the newer drugs.

I recommend you look at webmd or similar for toxic levels and effects of glutamine. You might also try searching for glutamine toxic level or poison or similar.

I wish you the best. There is probably not a great risk in experimenting with glutamine to determine what doses are effective, but you should be more cautious about using large doses long term.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0