Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you see the wretchedness of your own soul? Some may be offended by such a question. But if we understood the Mercy of God, and realized that it is our “wretchedness” that enables Him to be glorified the most, we would not shy away from such a thought. Many want to be holy and to see themselves as holy. It’s easy to think, “If I am good, God will be pleased.” But what we fail to realize is that God is glorified most when we see our littleness, our nothingness, and our wretchedness before Him. It is then that He can manifest His glory to the greatest extent through us. True, we have infinite dignity and value as persons as a result of being made in God’s image and as a result of God taking on our human nature. But in our actions, we are sinners incapable of doing anything good. When we realize this, we open the door for God to enter in and manifest His Mercy. We let Him act through our weakness and do glorious things. This is the way we give glory to God.

When you consider your holiness, do you tend to think highly of yourself, as if you have done many good things for God? This is pride. Humility is the virtue that allows you to see your weakness and complete dependence upon the Mercy of God. It enables you to realize that without Him, you can do nothing. It enables you to cry out with St. Paul, “Wretched man that I am” (Romans 7:24). But in that cry, you also perceive the unlimited Mercy of God using you in your weakness and, thus, become an image of His glory.

Lord, help me to see clearly my weakness. Help me to humble myself before Your greatness and, in that act, to be open to Your transforming power in my life. I give my littleness to You, dear Lord. Manifest Your glory through me as You desire. Jesus, I trust in You.

Source: Reflection 163: Glorifying God in Your “Wretchedness”

Reactions: icxn