• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Global warming? Venice flooding

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by Mountainmanbob, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+8,243
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Venice suffers worst flooding in 50 years, mayor blames climate change | Fox News

Venice is susceptible to some flooding — or "aqua alta," as it's regionally known — every year when high tides mix with heavy rain and strong winds. However, Brugnaro noted, yesterday's intense surge was exceptional, and almost certainly linked to the increasingly powerful storms fueled by global warming.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Here in California probably not a good idea to buy or own beachfront property. As shown in video.

People being displaced by the rising seas seem to blame officials for not doing their job and helping to save their homes? Flooding and erosion should be expected occasionally if living next to the ocean.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

We ride our bicycles around this area each week and the homes are worth proxy 10 to 50 million dollars.

It may be time to sell and head for the mountains?
    Get out while the getting is good?

Maybe the rich can afford to lose a house or two every once in a while?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+3,425
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    I would never buy a house close to a cliff like that . But most Americans don’t even understand middle school science . That’s a pet peeve of mine. They wouldn’t fall for marketing crap if they understood basic geology.

3. Brightmoon

+3,425
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    The government okays building permits . Which means that whoever rubber stamps these should have a minimum understanding of geology and how it affects the local environment. So if an area is found to be geologically unstable after the fact then yes the government should pay to relocate people.

4. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+8,243
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    If I know the dangers and buy a (permitted) treehouse and years later the tree rots away and falls should the government pay to relocate me?

5. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+1,000
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Meh...If those richy-rich folks can afford homes like that, I'm sure they have very pricey homeowners insurance. No loss.

6. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+13,154
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Once that row of houses slides off into the sea, the people across the street will have a much better view ---- for a while.

7. Brightmoon

+3,425
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Don’t be ridiculous, you know that treehouses are temporary structures.

8. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,730
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    The situation of Venice reminds me of the situation of Balboa Island, of Newport Beach, California. They also blame global warming and rising sea levels for their perilous situation. They raised their sea wall recently. They get high tides that are higher than ground level for the entire island. Fact is, though, it's nothing but mud and sand, and the island is slowly sinking.

People externalize blame.

A man builds his house on a sandstone or shale cliff that gets buffeted perpetually by waves. Water attacks his foundations constantly. When the cliff falls, he's like, "Oh, man, no one could have ever seen that one coming!"

People externalize blame. It's my fault for driving to work this morning, trying to earn a little daily bread.

9. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,372
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I like the Carl Cantrell alternative theory on stabilization of the climate a lot more than the idea of a Carbon Tax.

We Canadians produce only two percent of global atmospheric carbon dioxide so it is hard to see how our burdening our taxpayers and companies with billions in a carbon tax would assist in protecting the especially vulnerable Bay of Fundy real estate?

You might find this idea somewhat encouraging?

Concept for a Christian documentary starring Ms. Greta Thunberg....

10. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,153
    Anabaptist
    Realist-ically,
    Except MILLIONS OF 'poor' people who pay insurance, pay for the replacement of what the rich lose when it is insured. The poor have been conveniently oppressed and robbed this way ever since the insurance industry started (and they knew it then - few remember it or know it today).... (and no, they did not admit it then openly or publicly , only 'privately' to other rich folk they were in cahoots with)

11. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+1,000
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Man, I bet you're a hoot at social gatherings.