global warming may take a decade off

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Projection, noting the belief in a pseudoscience that predicts future climate based on, well, nothing unless you count speculation

You were already shown the evidence that the models accurately reconstructed past climates. That is something. In fact, that is a lot. Ignore it all you want. The evidence is on our side.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
[serious];66381733 said:
You know, none of the last few pages have anything to do with scientists predicting the pause in the broader warming trend before the meme got started.

If you see someone trying to go off in the weeds here, you don't HAVE to follow.

Hear hear!

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You were already shown the evidence that the models accurately reconstructed past climates. That is something. In fact, that is a lot. Ignore it all you want. The evidence is on our side.
You merely showed evidence that would convince believers, like preaching to the choir

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, those spectrophotometers are all believers that are fooled into thinking that carbon dioxide absorbs IR photons.
:D:D:D You forgot about actual climate change, which remains speculative

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
:D:D:D You forgot about actual climate change, which remains speculative

Yes, the climate that has no choice but to warm due to an increase in gases that absorb IR. The only speculation going in this thread is when you will address the evidence that we have presented you.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, the climate that has no choice but to warm due to an increase in gases that absorb IR. The only speculation going in this thread is when you will address the evidence that we have presented you.
When that evidence actually demonstrates climate change/global warming that is man caused

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the evidence we presented you. Can you at least address it?
I did. It doesn't support the case for global warming. It's just so much fear mongering looking to control people's behavior

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Poptech

Jun 18, 2011
✟15,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
Please quote where he claimed that he claimed there was "no such thing as science." Of course by the standard you've set we are expecting to see "that exact phrase."
I already quoted it, go look it up. I also suggest following the conversation which you were not a part of.

Upvote 0

Poptech

Jun 18, 2011
✟15,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
Then they qualify. The problem for you is that they are in the extreme minority. As shown in the survey in a previous post, 90% of climatologists with 10 or more peer reviewed publications agree that AGW is real. That is the consensus.
No such valid survey exists nor has any such consensus been shown.

Upvote 0

Poptech

Jun 18, 2011
✟15,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
We are beginning to think that your head has an impenetrable dome around it, given your inability to address the evidence.
I am responding to nonsensical statements made by others here. The Earth's atmosphere is not like a "greenhouse" as no such glass dome exists. So please do not use flawed analogies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It does? Please provide that definition from a dictionary using that exact phrase.

Yay! Metadebate over semantics and appeals to the dictionary. I forget, did tactics like these impress the folks on JREF forum or not? :doh:

Upvote 0

Poptech

Jun 18, 2011
✟15,318.00
Faith
Agnostic
Yay! Metadebate over semantics and appeals to the dictionary. I forget, did tactics like these impress the folks on JREF forum or not? :doh:
Oh, I am sorry are you now attempting to fabricate the definitions of words on your own? Last I checked dictionaries existed so we could communicate properly with each other. If you are free to redefine words how you feel like, how is that communication supposed to happen?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I am sorry are you now attempting to fabricate the definitions of words on your own?

Oh give us all a break The "show me exactly and verbatim in X source where it defines this phrase as Y" gambit is tired, transparent and frankly pathetic.

Science denier is does not have a long etymological history. It primarily is used to describe those who deny AGW or evolution. A simple Google search could have spared you all the high dudgeon.

Last I checked dictionaries existed so we could communicate properly with each other. If you are free to redefine words how you feel like, how is that communication supposed to happen?

You might want to check on how dictionaries work. They record the usage of words (much less so than phrases like "science denier") at the time the dictionary is being compiled.
Merriam-Webster Online
How does a word get into a Merriam-Webster dictionary?

This is one of the questions Merriam-Webster editors are most often asked.

The answer is simple: usage.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

Also all the recent papers that show that CO2 has much less effect than previously thought

So you are saying, to be technically correct here, that the climate sensitivity (that is the term you are looking for) is lower than 2-4.5degC/doubling?

But really, "ALL" of the recent papers? Or just a couple?

I'm fond of this graphic which shows multiple methods of estimation as well as the error bands for the estimation of climate sensitivity of CO2

Climate_Sensitivity_500.jpg

(SOURCE Knutti and Hegerl, 2008, HERE)

Some papers from 2012, like Fasullo and Trenberth (HERE) indicate that with equilibrium climate sensitivities <3degC models tend to fit the observations worse.

What I was able to find about your claim of ever lowering climate sensitivity was mostly limited to the Lewis and Curry paper (HERE) from this month.

It is interesting that you would gladly throw out all the OTHER data in preference to one article (maybe two if you include Otto et al, 2013) and then call that one article "All the recent papers".

Interestingly enough Curry and Lewis actually falls within the IPCC range of climate sensitivity for CO2!

Lewis and Curry's range solidly overlaps IPCC. Not sure if this is worth all the excitement in the denialosphere, but OK.

Here's a bit of critique of the Lewis and Curry (HERE)

Upvote 0