'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
a periodic cooling cycle caused by changes in ocean currents may give balance global warming for the next 10 years. the cooling cycle is temporary and the period after that will see even more rapid warming putting the overall warming trend back on schedule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/mobile/bbc_news/sci_nature/737/73763/story7376301.shtml?

[waits for "science makes accurate predictions and thus it must be wrong!"]

_Zap_

Aug 21, 2004
Uh...
✟8,046.00
Faith
Protestant
[serious];46694589 said:
what? no interest? come on, we have enough global warming deniers here that someone's got to take the bait...

Anyone who uses the words "global warming deniers" already has far too much of a bias to be swayed by rational debate. There's absolutely no point in arguing with a true believer of the Goracle.

Upvote 0

Open

Oct 15, 2007
✟7,905.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
PS Before anyone blows a gasket, my first thread was meant as a joke.
Whilst I am open minded on the matter, I do not see sufficient proof to convince me that changes in global are man made, or even uner our influence.
I'm all for conservation of resources and remewal energy (that makes sense inthe long term), but not convinced by the evidence for man made global warming.

Phew!

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bump, Since this has come up again, I just want to remind everyone that this was known about by real scientists well prior to all the current nonsense.

Also, We totally called what the response would be from the right.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Does this mean the glaciers will come back?

Muir_7a_1892_tn.jpg

Muir_7b_2005_tn.jpg

Muir_8a_1880s_tn.jpg

Muir_8b_2005_tn.jpg

Images from USGS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1Sam15

Anyone who uses the words "global warming deniers" already has far too much of a bias to be swayed by rational debate. There's absolutely no point in arguing with a true believer of the Goracle.

How about arguing with those of us who have no interest whatsoever about what Al Gore says?

I follow the SCIENCE, not the talking heads. Al Gore is a meatpuppet.

But I generally kind of agree with a dislike of the word "denier" since they are a vanishing species these days. They took a hit when the warming data become incontrovertible a few years back, now most are just "skeptical" of whether mankind is responsible.

I prefer to use the term "skeptic" but even then I feel uncomfortable because skeptics often have a rational basis and technical understanding of what they are skeptical of.

Most people on discussion forums who are "Skeptics" appear to have almost no understanding of the science.

I wish there was a better word.

Upvote 0

1Sam15

Quite true!
Funny. When I debate with 'Pro-global warming' persons, they tend to shy away rfom science.

You won't find that from all of us. Many of us actually have taken a long look at the data. Some of us have even done some of the calculations ourselves and graphed the data for ourselves.

There is plent information out there, but not a lot of unbiased debate.

There IS plenty of info out there and sadly the debate isn't really unbiased because the data shows a pretty clear picture. It's hard to debate against facts.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS Before anyone blows a gasket, my first thread was meant as a joke.
Whilst I am open minded on the matter, I do not see sufficient proof to convince me that changes in global are man made, or even uner our influence.
I'm all for conservation of resources and remewal energy (that makes sense inthe long term), but not convinced by the evidence for man made global warming.

Phew!
Well, we have data on what we are doing.

The world uses 89,271,200 barrels of oil per day.
8,000,000,000 cubic meters of natural gas.
16,000,000 tonnes of coal

That adds about 30,000,000,000 metric tonnes of CO2 to the atmosphere per year just from fossil fuels.

The absorption spectrum of CO2 is accurately known. Add to this other CO2 sources and other man made greenhouse gases and we get a calculable first order impact. Where things get a bit fuzzier is the second order effects like methane degassing, increased water vapor positive feedback, decreased albedo effect from decreased ice cover, and so on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The flip side of the coin may be that the "global warning" stage may just be a case of the new ice age we learned about in the 70's taking some time off

"We" learned about no such thing. There was a couple of popular press articles that have achieved near mythological proportion with denialists.

The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley – Greg Laden's Blog
...one of the fake-skeptics’ favorite myths: The 1970s Ice Age Scare. It goes something like this:

- In the 1970s the scientists were all predicting global cooling and a future ice age.
- The media served as the scientists’ lapdog parroting the alarming news.
- The ice age never came—the scientists were dead wrong.
- Now those same scientists are predicting global warming (or is it “climate change” now?)

The entire purpose of this myth is to suggest that scientists can’t be trusted, that they will say/claim/predict whatever to get their names in the newspapers, and that the media falls for it all the time. They were wrong about ice ages in the 1970s, they are wrong now about global warming.​

What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?
GlobalCooling.JPG

RealClimate: The global cooling myth

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Get back to me after the next barley harvest in Greenland.

Awesome. Denmark will be able to produce a few thousand bushels to make up for the 10s of millions lost in Sahel region countries like Mali, Senegal, Sudan and Ethiopia.

That should do wonders for world stability. :doh:

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"We" learned about no such thing. There was a couple of popular press articles that have achieved near mythological proportion with denialists.

The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley – Greg Laden's Blog
...one of the fake-skeptics’ favorite myths: The 1970s Ice Age Scare. It goes something like this:

- In the 1970s the scientists were all predicting global cooling and a future ice age.
- The media served as the scientists’ lapdog parroting the alarming news.
- The ice age never came—the scientists were dead wrong.
- Now those same scientists are predicting global warming (or is it “climate change” now?)

The entire purpose of this myth is to suggest that scientists can’t be trusted, that they will say/claim/predict whatever to get their names in the newspapers, and that the media falls for it all the time. They were wrong about ice ages in the 1970s, they are wrong now about global warming.​
What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?
GlobalCooling.JPG

RealClimate: The global cooling myth
Hmmm. An unsourced pie chart. Why am I unconvinced?

Upvote 0