Glenn Greenwald quits The Intercept, the site he co-founded, because they censored his Biden article

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Who needs freedom of speech at news outlets?" files: Glenn Greenwald quits The Intercept, the site he co-founded, because its editors censored his Biden article

The 53-year-old shared his resignation letter in a tweet to his more than 1.5 million followers on Thursday afternoon, in which he accused editors of refusing to publish an article he wrote unless he removed "all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression."
Greenwald, who came to prominence for helping break the news on classified documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, has built a reputation as one of the media's most combative and contrarian voices.
He has also emerged as a vocal critic of the mainstream media, accusing it of quashing alternative views when it comes to coverage of certain news stories. In his resignation letter, Greenwald accused Intercept editors in New York of becoming "increasingly authoritarian" and "repressive."
"I reasoned that as long as The Intercept remained a place where my own right of journalistic independence was not being infringed, I could live with all of its other flaws," Greenwald concluded. "But now, not even that minimal but foundational right is being honored for my own journalism, suppressed by an increasingly authoritarian, fear-driven, repressive editorial team in New York bent on imposing their own ideological and partisan preferences on all writers while ensuring that nothing is published at The Intercept that contradicts their own narrow, homogenous ideological and partisan views: exactly what The Intercept, more than any other goal, was created to prevent."
Good luck to Glenn Greenwald wherever he goes. His readers will follow him. I'd guess that The Intercept's editors will be looking for new jobs in the near future as their readership leaves.

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟260,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
That’s not a freedom of speech issue. The Intercept can choose to publish or not publish anything they like. They may be sued for libel for outright lies but otherwise it is entirely their decision as a private company.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Aw bless. Glemm has gone to Tucker Failson's show, aka his safe space - where he can defend Mr Trump (who he does not support) to his heart's content ^_^

Edit: meanwhile, have a giggle at the level of shade The Intercept throws at him in their response ^_^

Glenn Greenwald Resigns From The Intercept

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From the "Who needs freedom of speech at news outlets?" files: Glenn Greenwald quits The Intercept, the site he co-founded, because its editors censored his Biden article

The 53-year-old shared his resignation letter in a tweet to his more than 1.5 million followers on Thursday afternoon, in which he accused editors of refusing to publish an article he wrote unless he removed "all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression."
Greenwald, who came to prominence for helping break the news on classified documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, has built a reputation as one of the media's most combative and contrarian voices.
He has also emerged as a vocal critic of the mainstream media, accusing it of quashing alternative views when it comes to coverage of certain news stories. In his resignation letter, Greenwald accused Intercept editors in New York of becoming "increasingly authoritarian" and "repressive."
"I reasoned that as long as The Intercept remained a place where my own right of journalistic independence was not being infringed, I could live with all of its other flaws," Greenwald concluded. "But now, not even that minimal but foundational right is being honored for my own journalism, suppressed by an increasingly authoritarian, fear-driven, repressive editorial team in New York bent on imposing their own ideological and partisan preferences on all writers while ensuring that nothing is published at The Intercept that contradicts their own narrow, homogenous ideological and partisan views: exactly what The Intercept, more than any other goal, was created to prevent."
Good luck to Glenn Greenwald wherever he goes. His readers will follow him. I'd guess that The Intercept's editors will be looking for new jobs in the near future as their readership leaves.

Yeah I thought about doing a thread on this but more due the censorship of the news media in favor of Biden.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟359,472.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
He believes that anyone who disagrees with him is corrupt, and anyone who presumes to edit his words is a censor. Thus, the preposterous charge that The Intercept’s editors and reporters, with the lone, noble exception of Glenn Greenwald, have betrayed our mission to engage in fearless investigative journalism because we have been seduced by the lure of a Joe Biden presidency. A brief glance at the stories The Intercept has published on Biden will suffice to refute those claims.

The narrative Glenn presents about his departure is teeming with distortions and inaccuracies — all of them designed to make him appear as a victim, rather than a grown person throwing a tantrum.
Why do grown men resort to that tactic?

It's just disappointing the followers don't get it

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do grown men resort to that tactic?

It's just disappointing the followers don't get it

The irony, if his "totally unexpected" and "sudden" appearance on Tucker's show tonight wasn't the giveaway, is that this crap plays well with uncritical right-wingers.

If he's trying to grift, he's picked the right way of going about it.

Upvote 0

WonbyOneanddone

Oct 14, 2020
ohio
✟34,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That’s not a freedom of speech issue. The Intercept can choose to publish or not publish anything they like. They may be sued for libel for outright lies but otherwise it is entirely their decision as a private company.
Censorship is not freedom of speech, it it power over another's speech.

And although it may be legal, it is still silencing speech just the same.

So I guess the name of the game is gaining control of the major voices we use to communicate on the internet in order to spew propaganda and/or disinformation to control the populace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Censorship is not freedom of speech, it it power over another's speech.

And although it may be legal, it is still silencing speech just the same.

So I guess the name of the game is gaining control of the major voices we use to communicate on the internet in order to spew propaganda and/or disinformation to control the populace.

If you're worried about disinformation, you'll blow your top when you hear what show Glemm appeared on today!

Upvote 0

WonbyOneanddone

Oct 14, 2020
ohio
✟34,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you're worried about disinformation, you'll blow your top when you hear what show Glemm appeared on today!
All men lie.

The Left wants "Truth commissions" to determine what is true and what is not so that it may be published or cancelled.

I'll give you a hint as to who will be on that commission.

As it is, Trump's Twitter account has been shut down, which was the only way he had to communicate with people since the media is completely against him.

Truth and Reconciliation Commissions? Why not just make ready the guillotine?

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All men lie.

The Left wants "Truth commissions" to determine what is true and what is not so that it may be published or cancelled.

I'll give you a hint as to who will be on that commission.

As it is, Trump's Twitter account has been shut down, which was the only way he had to communicate with people since the media is completely against him.

Truth and Reconciliation Commissions? Why not just make ready the guillotine?

Heck, if you want to deal with the problem of disinformation I'd cancel your subscriptions to wherever you're hearing this stuff

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Truth and reconciliation commissions were a response to systemic crime and oppressive behaviour in South Africa as an alternative to mass reprisal and imprisonment to try and bring a divided country back together again

I'm not surprised the GOP are ignorant about this, because it involves black people, but it is precisely the opposite of bringing out the guillotines. It's done in order to move society awayyyyy from the sort of tensions that would result in guillotines ^_^

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure they will be the first to go.

Then we can have utopia.

You know the authoritarians are in power right now, right ^_^

And heck, maybe if people don't want prison sentences being dished out, maybe GOP politicians shouldn't have propped up a blatantly corrupt oligarch clan

Upvote 0

WonbyOneanddone

Oct 14, 2020
ohio
✟34,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Truth and reconciliation commissions are a reference to systemic crime and oppressive behaviour in South Africa as an alternative to mass reprisal and imprisonment to try and bring a divided country back together again

I'm not surprised the GOP are ignorant about this, because it involves black people, but it is precisely the opposite of bringing out the guillotines. It's done in order to move society awayyyyy from the sort of tensions that would result in guillotines ^_^
Division is always a bad thing?

Division is a disagreement, and the bigger the disagreement, the bigger the division.

Mankind, being a fallen race and never right about everything, now wishes to manipulate conformity on every issue in the name of truthiness?

I follow the example of Christ. Speak the truth in love and it will prevail. I don't need to manipulate anyone on what the truth is, but the devil has to work the other way because only through manipulation and control can he have success because there is no truth in him.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Division is a disagreement, and the bigger the disagreement, the bigger the division.

Mankind, being a fallen race and never right about everything, now wishes to manipulate conformity on every issue?

This is a lot of waffle to ignore the fact that the current administration has increased division to a danger point and repeatedly broken the law - propped up by a load of sycophantic followers who frankly should have known better..

But this is getting aside from the point. Calling a reference to reconciliatory post apartheid South African politics a call for guillotines is either outright lying, or massive stupidity. Pick one.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Mankind, being a fallen race and never right about everything, now wishes to manipulate conformity on every issue in the name of truthiness?

I follow the example of Christ. Speak the truth in love and it will prevail. I don't need to manipulate anyone on what the truth is, but the devil has to work the other way because only through manipulation and control can he have success because there is no truth in him.

If you're concerned about truth then why are you posting GOP misinfo lol

Upvote 0