Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for answers on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I've been asking to receive this for 3 years now, and I don't know why I haven't. My husband received it while praying one day and he didn't even ask for it, it just happened. In fact, he had told me not long before that day that he wasn't sure he would ever want it. And then all of a sudden he just received. I don't understand. I've asked my pastor and he said most of the time it's because of a lack of yielding. I don't think that's my problem, though. There's been times I've sat here with tears running down my face, not understanding why it doesn't happen. I've asked God to show me if there's something my life that's preventing it, but i don't feel like there is. I know I'm saved, I've had prayers answered, I've been healed, I've felt God's presence on more than on occasion when I've been praying. What is wrong? Is it me, am I doing something wrong? I know it's different for everyone - my husband is an excellent example of that - but I simply don't understand what's preventing me from receiving and I'm becoming so distraught over it. Can someone help me understand?
I suggest that you take this post over to either the Spirit-filled/Charismatic or Pentecostal forum because they are safe forums that do not permit the Cessationists and other trolls muddying the waters for you. Trying to answer your questions on an open forum like this will end up being a confusing mess with trolls attacking the Charismatic or Pentecostal experience.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm looking for answers on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I've been asking to receive this for 3 years now, and I don't know why I haven't. My husband received it while praying one day and he didn't even ask for it, it just happened. In fact, he had told me not long before that day that he wasn't sure he would ever want it. And then all of a sudden he just received. I don't understand. I've asked my pastor and he said most of the time it's because of a lack of yielding. I don't think that's my problem, though. There's been times I've sat here with tears running down my face, not understanding why it doesn't happen. I've asked God to show me if there's something my life that's preventing it, but i don't feel like there is. I know I'm saved, I've had prayers answered, I've been healed, I've felt God's presence on more than on occasion when I've been praying. What is wrong? Is it me, am I doing something wrong? I know it's different for everyone - my husband is an excellent example of that - but I simply don't understand what's preventing me from receiving and I'm becoming so distraught over it. Can someone help me understand?
God's ways are not our ways. He does what he does and is to be thanked and praised for it. His promises are reliable, but our understanding is not --he owes nobody anything.

In a similar way to the fact that my boss relies on me more than on others, and therefore gives me more to do than I want, and rather unfairly at that, only shows that I have been useful to him, more than others (It is an honor.), God leads some people through places he does not lead others. Job went through unbelievable things, not because he deserved it, though perhaps he did, but because God had his reasons, and only Job, of all those quoted in the whole conversation that is the book of Job, is credited by God for saying what is right, i.e. that God did what he did, not because of Job's having earned his misfortune.

I think it would be well to note, though, that not only misfortune, but fortune, are not for the person receiving it, but for God's own purposes.

It is also worthy of note that nothing we understand as principles of Christian living is of itself the whole story. You may well not ever receive what you think is the "baptism of the Spirit", yet God remain true.

This is not about us. Do not focus on this problem you face. It, to some believers, is even irrelevant, and maybe they are right --who knows.

This life is not about this life.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God's ways are not our ways. He does what he does and is to be thanked and praised for it. His promises are reliable, but our understanding is not --he owes nobody anything.

In a similar way to the fact that my boss relies on me more than on others, and therefore gives me more to do than I want, and rather unfairly at that, only shows that I have been useful to him, more than others (It is an honor.), God leads some people through places he does not lead others. Job went through unbelievable things, not because he deserved it, though perhaps he did, but because God had his reasons, and only Job, of all those quoted in the whole conversation that is the book of Job, is credited by God for saying what is right, i.e. that God did what he did, not because of Job's having earned his misfortune.

I think it would be well to note, though, that not only misfortune, but fortune, are not for the person receiving it, but for God's own purposes.

It is also worthy of note that nothing we understand as principles of Christian living is of itself the whole story. You may well not ever receive what you think is the "baptism of the Spirit", yet God remain true.

This is not about us. Do not focus on this problem you face. It, to some believers, is even irrelevant, and maybe they are right --who knows.

This life is not about this life.
So you don't know how to assist someone to receive the baptism with the Spirit...

The OP firmly believes that the baptism with the Spirit is God's will for him and he wants practical guidelines on how to receive it. It may not be God's will for you and there is no problem about that, but be careful not to impose on the OP what you believe is God's will for you. If he believes it is God's will for him, then you may be opposing the Holy Spirit and quenching it in him if you are not careful and sensitive to him and his expressed spiritual need.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello, welcome to CF:). I was baptized in the Holy Spirit about six years after my salvation. It was a time of complete surrender to the Lord Jesus and much like wandering in the wilderness (Numbers 32:13) due to my rebellion and resisting His call to preach. Only after complete submission to the Lordship of Christ, did the word of the Lord began coming to me (Jeremiah 1:4) in the Holy Spirit, and with Him power and holiness. It may have been an instantaneous experience to others (Luke 3:22). So, if your baptism in the Holy Ghost is being delayed don't despair. Hope that helps. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

sunday823

Nov 22, 2018
Utica
✟8,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suggest that you take this post over to either the Spirit-filled/Charismatic or Pentecostal forum because they are safe forums that do not permit the Cessationists and other trolls muddying the waters for you. Trying to answer your questions on an open forum like this will end up being a confusing mess with trolls attacking the Charismatic or Pentecostal experience.
Thank-you Oscarr, I believe I will do that, as the two replies I received have left me feeling worse than I did before I came on here. Boy, talk about making someone feel unworthy. I know it is God's will for EVERY believer to be filled, it's a gift for all who ask, and to tell me it 'may not for for me' is insenstive, and wrong. yep, I get what you mean about 'muddying the water'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Sunday 823. can u send me a message. im new and can't start conversations
Big - she cannot send a message as you need 20 posts to be able to do that. Also - she has not been here in almost a year.

Upvote 0