Glaciers all gone now - its 2020... or ???

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 270132 We went there this summer and it's worth the trip if anyone as the chance. I didn't see any signs like was mentioned. The picture is a glacier pond that is created every summer, but I wouldn't swim in it. Not that its dirty or dangerous, but 20 minutes prior it was part of a glacier, and can you say COLD?! I went up to my knees and said THAT'S enough! I'll just enjoy the beauty instead. lol!
So where was this? :)

We went to both Alaska and Montana in recent years.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Remember the most recent Ice Age caused lower sea levels until about 12,000 years ago when sea levels started to rise as ice cover melted. More recent warming is linked to greenhouse gases.

Yep. We should be entering a cooling period, based on solar output. Instead, we're seeing record high global temperatures.

And alpine glaciers continue to shrink as predicted in Hansen's model prepared decades ago.

What's more disturbing is that Greenland glaciers are melting faster than predicted:
Greenland's ice melting faster than scientists previously thought

The pace of ice loss has increased four-fold since 2003 as enormous glaciers are depositing ever larger chunks of ice into the Atlantic ocean, where it melts, causing sea levels to rise
Greenland's ice melting faster than scientists previously thought – study

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Glacier National Park!

Let's see how those glaciers are doing...

151021-news-glacier-park-melt-vin_ds1502001-172_final_1024x576_548682307708.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F05%2Fbefore-after-glacier.jpg

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yep. We should be entering a cooling period, based on solar output. Instead, we're seeing record high global temperatures.

And alpine glaciers continue to shrink as predicted in Hansen's model prepared decades ago.

What's more disturbing is that Greenland glaciers are melting faster than predicted:
Greenland's ice melting faster than scientists previously thought

The pace of ice loss has increased four-fold since 2003 as enormous glaciers are depositing ever larger chunks of ice into the Atlantic ocean, where it melts, causing sea levels to rise
Greenland's ice melting faster than scientists previously thought – study
Australia had its hottest year on record in 2019. According to one report being passed around, fires there have burned as many acres as there are in England.

The sunspots are near a minimum.

Temperatures are supposed to drop to the 30’s in SW Florida tonight. This cold can not last.

I expect 3” - 4” sea level rise in the next 10 yrs, unless the forecast changes. I moved up out of a coastal flood zone to higher ground. Not needing to move again.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see how those glaciers are doing...

151021-news-glacier-park-melt-vin_ds1502001-172_final_1024x576_548682307708.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F05%2Fbefore-after-glacier.jpg
I recall hiking to Iceberg Lake early one morning when I last visited Glacier. Wonderful hike—I had the whole lake to myself. I read that it was created by runoff from a glacier that no longer existed.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Australia had its hottest year on record in 2019. According to one report being passed around, fires there have burned as many acres as there are in England.

The sunspots are near a minimum.

Temperatures are supposed to drop to the 30’s in SW Florida tonight. This cold can not last.

I expect 3” - 4” sea level rise in the next 10 yrs, unless the forecast changes. I moved up out of a coastal flood zone to higher ground. Not needing to move again.

There's a lot of potential tipping points. The loss of a big ice shelf in Antarctica would be a disaster and rapidly raise sea levels. Not because of the shelf itself, but the fact that it would greatly increase the rate at which Antarctic ice would then flow into the ocean.

A slightly more rapid rate of permafrost thawing would release huge amounts of methane, which is a more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

If these don't happen, then the previously predicted rate of rise would not be exceeded by very much.

Upvote 0