• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Glaciers all gone now - its 2020... or ???

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by BobRyan, Jan 11, 2020.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,294
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Curtis.Hilliker

Curtis.Hilliker Now what.......

+604
    United States
    Charismatic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    lol I read that too. I was there a few years ago, such a beautiful place.

3. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+32,051
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    When they placed those signs years ago I’m sure the local chamber of commerce helped fund and put them up.

You have to admit that at the time it was a brilliant marketing strategy.

All they have to do is change the “2” to a “3” on the trailing “20” and they can keep the signs up and be up to date with the current predictions.

Or have a new marketing strategy...”Come to Glacier National Park and see the glaciers again.”

4. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,778
    United States
    Christian
    Single
  5. Curtis.Hilliker

+604
    United States
    Charismatic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    Genesis 8:22

The worldly idea that the climate is out of control because of us is a complete lie.

6. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,385
    Messianic
    While the Arctic glaciers shrank, the Antarctic glacier's grew.

For those who haven't tried this experiment, it might help with the worry about global warming. Take a glass of water, throw some ice cubes in it. Mark the height on the glass. Wait until all the ice has melted. Mark the new height... hint.. there is no change.

7. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,017
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    "The problem is complex".......meaning they were wrong
    and the glaciers are still there.

8. dqhall

+1,778
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    For years the Antarctica ice pack grew. Within the past five years the fringes of Antarctica have begun to melt and large chunks of the sea ice shelf have broken off.
    Polar Warning: Even Antarctica’s Coldest Region Is Starting to Melt

9. visionary

+6,385
    Messianic
  10. dqhall

+1,778
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Australia had its warmest year on record in 2019 with tempatures more than 2 degrees Centigrade above normal. The fires are still burning.
    Annual climate statement 2019

11. Curtis.Hilliker

+604
    United States
    Charismatic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    The fires in Australia are a result from arsonists, not climate change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. visionary

+6,385
    Messianic
    I saw a map of Australia showing where the fires are. Interesting that it is in the "sort of" shape of the [​IMG][​IMG]without the turn... The fires circle Australia except for the slash across Australia...

13. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,855
    Methodist
    [​IMG] upload_2020-1-13_1-18-48.gif

A hundred years ago the Titanic sank. It was supposed to be unsinkable. If they were going to make that same cruise again today, thanks to global warming they would not have to worry about icebergs.
    - David Letterman

14. dqhall

+1,778
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The monsoon season may be starting in Australia. This might provide relief. The heat wave accompanied a record drought. On the other side of the world Crete got a year’s worth of rain in a week. Israel rainfall totals broke 50 yr records in some places.

15. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,969
    Christian
    Married
    glacier national park.jpg We went there this summer and it's worth the trip if anyone as the chance. I didn't see any signs like was mentioned. The picture is a glacier pond that is created every summer, but I wouldn't swim in it. Not that its dirty or dangerous, but 20 minutes prior it was part of a glacier, and can you say COLD?! I went up to my knees and said THAT'S enough! I'll just enjoy the beauty instead. lol!

16. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,478
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    Glacier National Park is one of the most beautiful paces on the planet. I am glad they are wrong about the glaciers disappearing by 2020, but I fear that it is just a matter of time. We humans have screwed the climate up so badly...

17. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+5,687
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Alpine glaciers have been rapidly shrinking, but continental glaciers until recently, have been getting larger. How could that be? Warmer oceans mean more snow at the poles. Because it's really cold there, it doesn't normally snow much. (cold air has less moisture) So Antarctica was getting more ice mass in the center of the continent, even as glaciers are shrinking at the edges. However...

Ice Gains In Some Parts Of Antarctica Aren't Offsetting Its Losses
    ...In a study published in 2017 scientists were able to combine information from satellite altimetry, gravimetry, and GPS to measure the ice balance in East Antarctica from 2003-2013 When looking at this data they were unable to confirm Zwally’s findings. This study concluded that gains in East Antarctica are smaller than losses in West Antarctica. In fact, the gains in East Antarctica were about a third of what Zwally’s study believed them to be.
    Ice Gains In Some Parts Of Antarctica Aren't Offsetting Its Losses [Infographic]

Your idea works on sea ice. But it won't work for glaciers, since they don't float on water. Arctic sea ice could melt entirely, with no change in sea levels. Greenland and Antarctica ice melts completely and you better not live near the sea; it would submerge Florida.

If all of Greenland's ice were to melt, it would raise sea levels 23 feet, submerging some coastal cities. In the US, that would put everything south of West Palm Beach, Florida underwater.
    If both Antarctica and Greenland's ice sheets were to melt, that would lead sea levels to rise more than 200 feet (and Florida would disappear).
    Greenland is approaching the threshold of an irreversible melt, and the consequences for coastal cities could be dire

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. visionary

+6,385
    Messianic
    With the wobble of the earth, the rise and fall of the depth of glaciers will continue to fluctuate. It has been going on for millenniums. Arctic melts, Antarctic freezes. Earth wobbles, north pole drifts south east Sun beats down harder on the north west.

19. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+5,687
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    There are long-term cycles and short-term cycles, and then there's something new today. You see, we're well into a solar minimum (which is also a cycle) and we should be getting colder as the Sun's output falls a bit. Instead, we're getting record high global temps. The difference? All that CO2 being dumped into the atmosphere. The predicted (from the 1800s) rise from such a change is the salient fact of climate today.

And yet, man has managed to mess it up. Recently, we've gotten the bad news that the increased snowfall in Antarctica (that's also due to climate warming) is not enough to offset the melting along coastal areas.

Floridians are not going to like what happens. Up until this decade, most of the sea rise was actually thermal expansion as the oceans warmed up. That's now changing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. dqhall

+1,778
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Remember the most recent Ice Age caused lower sea levels until about 12,000 years ago when sea levels started to rise as ice cover melted. More recent warming is linked to greenhouse gases.