Dec 3, 2004
Sowega
✟11,386.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
porcupine said:
This is true of GOVERNMENT giving, but not of INDIVIDUAL giving.

The US ranks 22nd in the world when you consider only government spending as a percentage of GNP. When you factor in private contributions we only move up to 7th in the world. Not very giving for the wealthiest nation in history if you want my opinion.

Click here for the statistics.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
sinner/SAVED said:
The US ranks 22nd in the world when you consider only government spending as a percentage of GNP. When you factor in private contributions we only move up to 7th in the world. Not very giving for the wealthiest nation in history if you want my opinion.

Click here for the statistics.

What I mean is to look at individual contributions alone -- not mixed with government. Government "giving" is not compassion or charity, it is force.

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is true that a lot of the money that goes toward world relief comes from people in the US individually giving. But compare that to the amount they spend on pet food.
It has been estimated that it would take about 13 billion dollars a year to end world hunger. In the US alone, more than that is spent on pet food. Since world hunger is still an issue, I'm guessing that we're not giving nearly that much. Not that I'm saying having pets is wrong. However, most of the people I know spend a lot more on luxuries for themselves than on their pets. If we were to continue feeding our animals while redirecting those luxuries to the dire needs of others, we could make a difference.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
die2live said:
It is true that a lot of the money that goes toward world relief comes from people in the US individually giving. But compare that to the amount they spend on pet food.
It has been estimated that it would take about 13 billion dollars a year to end world hunger. In the US alone, more than that is spent on pet food. Since world hunger is still an issue, I'm guessing that we're not giving nearly that much. Not that I'm saying having pets is wrong. However, most of the people I know spend a lot more on luxuries for themselves than on their pets. If we were to continue feeding our animals while redirecting those luxuries to the dire needs of others, we could make a difference.

1. We don't know if the same INDIVIDUALS are spending more on pet food than their charitable giving. (Of course, most INDIVIDUAL charitable giving is "off the books" -- that is, people give to friends, relatives, and strangers who are in need, but not through any organization or group that would report figures.)

2. I can find lots of frivolous things people spend money on (based upon my opinion of "frivolous"), but that doesn't negate the giving done -- even if both the frivolous spending and the giving are done by the same people. (In my experience, people who are obsessed with expensive pets, hobbies, etc. are verly unlilely to be generous givers. Their treasure is mostly in the wrong places. The most likely givers on an individual level are often those that might do with some receiving themselves.)

3. It depends on what you describe as a "pet."

Upvote 0

God Child

Anointed Servant
Apr 25, 2005
fairbanks, Alaska
✟23,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Goodness is the fruit of the spirit i would associate charity with...one must be willing to give up their posessions, not being attatched to the things of this world. It is hard to separate from the world, but it needs to be done...

Reactions: die2live
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.