United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If they seem mentally ill and/or aggressive, I keep walking.

If they don't seem that way, I'll give them food if I have some on me.

If I don't have food, I'll give information. "There's a food pantry at the intersection of X and Y," for example.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have no doubt that many of them are "angels unawares."

It's tragic how so many of our veterans are reduced to that life, but I'm so grateful you were there for that man. I hope his life will be forever changed as a result -- and not just physically, but spiritually too, knowing that someone cared enough for him to do something like that.

I'm sorry you once found yourself in a state of homelessness as well, but I praise God that He brought you and your child (or children) out. Now you know better than most people how to comfort those currently passing through that stage. I just wish we could end homelessness for good. I wish our society wouldn't accept that condition for any human being. But I know wishing doesn't do them much good.

~ Ashley C.

Thank you Ashley. Yes, i was pregnant, and with two li'l ones. We all slept, huddled in a corner outside a building, on concrete on a cold October night. There was an entry way nearby with lights, and the entire night, those tall columns transformed into tall "angels" keeping watch. It was something that God granted me vision to see because of the circumstances, i believe.

God transformed me from that crisis experience (and several others) to live out what is written in Isaiah about speaking out for, and defending those who cannot speak out for and defend themselves, and to clothe the naked, give warmth, feed, give water, shelter, and to be the one who speaks out for and defends those without a voice of their own.

It's true that we don't know where those "angels unawares" might be. Sometimes they can be in the most unlikely of "disguises.

God bless you Ashley.

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." ~Matthew 25:40

8e4f98e120a2ce2c7cd3feca940e10c4.jpg

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wondering what your views are on this. Especially those who live in a big city. I went to one of the nations largest this weekend and there were a lot of homeless people there.
So how do you handle this?
I want to help and if buying a pack of smokes makes them a bit happier, I'll do it. And I'm sure many are addicted to drugs as well, and of course that's no good.
So what do you do when you are approached and ask for money or pass by a guy with a can of change?

Honestly, I usually just ignore them. Not because I don't care, but quite simply because I don't have the means to help them all, nore do I consider it particularly helpfull if I would give them some change... I consider it a job for the government and/or specific organisations to give structural help to these people.

I don't have the time nore the resources to consider every single one of their life stories to evaluate how to best help them etc.

However, I do have a soft spot for when they also have children besides them. It happend multiple times that I went to buy a cheese-sandwich or whatever to give to those children. I prefer that over giving the parent money instead - because at that point I can't be sure that it would be used for food for the child.

I'll happily contribute to homeless shelters and don't have any problems with volunteering there either.

But honestly, I don't see the point in giving beggers some change, because I feel like all I'm doing at that point is upholding the status quo.

I do feel bad for them, but what am I gonna do or supposed to do? I'm not the saviour of the world and as bad as some of them have it... there are entire countries out there of which the average citizen even has it worse still.

Sure, you can go an give a dollar to a homeless guy and feel great about yourself. But more often then not, that guy will just buy cigarettes or beer. And there you then are, with your fuzzy feelings inside - wich accomplished absolutely nothing.

I'll happily donate €200 to an organization that provides structural help over giving a single dollar to someone who'll more then likely just buy booz with it.

Upvote 0