Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wondering what your views are on this. Especially those who live in a big city. I went to one of the nations largest this weekend and there were a lot of homeless people there.
So how do you handle this?
I want to help and if buying a pack of smokes makes them a bit happier, I'll do it. And I'm sure many are addicted to drugs as well, and of course that's no good.
So what do you do when you are approached and ask for money or pass by a guy with a can of change?

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It depends on what the Holy Spirit directs you to do at that time. The Apostle Peter didn't have any money and spoke to the cripple "Silver or gold I have none, but that which I have I give unto thee. In the Name of Jesus Christ rise and walk." Not only was the cripple healed and made a productive citizen, he was also saved. That being said, I've given money in the past and do so now (both in America and India).

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wondering what your views are on this. Especially those who live in a big city. I went to one of the nations largest this weekend and there were a lot of homeless people there.
I want to help and if buying a pack of smokes makes them a bit happier, I'll do it. And I'm sure many are addicted to drugs as well, and of course that's no good.
So what do you do when you are approached and ask for money or pass by a guy with a can of change?
I never give money directly to the homeless. There are too many unproductive things that they may do with it. I donate to different charities that seek to minister to the homeless. They are better equipped to handle the situation.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can expect to see them in a big city on the sideways, and plan ahead for that moment. Here's an idea I am wanting to remember for next time I go into the city -- to pack several (I think about a dozen) high nutrition bars to hand out, perhaps more than 1 at a time when the person looks hungry. This is a real gift, of something actually needed, and meets a real need. One could say to them something, if the spirit moves you, words that come to you to say.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Stop.
Don't give until the truth is learned. OR/and if possible, Jesus says to.

Otherwise, in the situations you describe, think about this:

would you give wittingly, knowingly,
a sharp knife to someone who then later, insidiously, cuts themselves or other people while they sleep ?

(i.e. giving poisons or toxins to people, whether in cgs or alcohol or anything unhealthy to a body, unhealthy to a mind, especially an unstable mind controlled by the demons every day, leads only to loss as the enemy comes only to kill, steal, and destroy)

What are the "needs" as written in God's Word ?

"With FOOD and CLOTHING , BE CONTENT" (completely satisified) .....

and
"IF " you see someone HUNGRY, FEED them.....
needing clothes? , a coat ? and you have one, give it to them .....

as written simply, clearly, and truthfully in Jesus' Word.

Start with a glass of water, giving or receiving a glass of water in His Name

Learn from Jesus.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can expect to see them in a big city on the sideways, and plan ahead for that moment. Here's an idea I am wanting to remember for next time I go into the city -- to pack several (I think about a dozen) high nutrition bars to hand out, perhaps more than 1 at a time when the person looks hungry. This is a real gift, of something actually needed, and meets a real need. One could say to them something, if the spirit moves you, words that come to you to say.
This is a nice thought. I may try this.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I never give money directly to the homeless. There are too many unproductive things that they may do with it. I donate to different charities that seek to minister to the homeless. They are better equipped to handle the situation.
Perhaps good and fine.
I have seen many, many people give even automatically every month, to a church or charity,
but refuse to help people in their own family, in their own neighborhood that they see every day for years, and know, and so forth.....
Synagogues, Churches, and so on may do what is right, or may not,
still a lot of the poor and homeless fall through the cracks/ requirements/ credit checks !!! (yes, of charities - "not enough need"/ "didn't tithe enouth"/ "3 days a month food is our limit" / "we don't have funds for that " (food, water, medicine, transportation needed, etc etc etc )

Perhaps, love hoping for the best, all these things when needed are personally provided,

while not neglecting the other (churches, charities, etc etc etc) ....

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i was on my way to work one day, and i saw a homeless man sitting on a patio chair outside a cafe, reading a Bible, of all things. I did a double-take, and turned around and gave him what was in my pocket, and commenting on his reading the Bible. He was overjoyed and stood up and gave me the biggest hug. We had a conversation about God, and his circumstances, etc. It was precious.

I don't believe in "accidents".

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

Upvote 0

ashleycarly

Jun 7, 2017
Washington, DC
✟8,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a beautiful story, brinny. But I've also had the same concern when I see homeless people. I've given money, but I've also given water -- especially on hot days -- and granola bars. But week after week I see the same people in the same places. Nothing I do ever seems to be enough. The only way I see us improving their lot is to get rid of the factors that lead to homelessness. But because that task seems too impossible, we stick to doing easier things. It's like treating the symptoms of a disease rather than the disease itself.

Even though Jesus healed the sick and resurrected the dead, He said we can do "even greater things than these" (John 14:12, NIV). So, impossible as it may seem, if we all work together, I know we could end homelessness forever. But that would require changing society, which starts with changing how people think. We have to take the emphasis off money and put it on helping each other. And no one can do this alone.

~ Ashley C.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So, impossible as it may seem, if we all work together, I know we could end homelessness forever. But that would require changing society, which starts with changing how people think. We have to take the emphasis off money and put it on helping each other. And no one can do this alone.
We have done this (IN THE MIDST of a wicked society, NOT changing society) , and can do this, where people are willing .... as YHWH accomplished.....
Read the finest example, the purest, and best,
NOT ONE PERSON HAD A NEED, that was not met.
They OBEYED YHWH, spontaneously (not as if by law or rules), and everyone share what they had, and if anyone needed anything, it was provided. (no, not big screen tv, not stereo, not nke tennis shoes, not a Lexus automobile) ---- provided: food , clothes, place to sleep, righteous company, fellow worshippers, TORAH instruction by speech and by example, DAILY, DAILY, DAILY, every day.....
again in ACTS, as written, and Ephesians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 & 2 Corinthians, 1 & 2 Timothy, 1 & 2 Thessalonians ..... etc etc etc
Not Forgetting nor neglecting Deuteronomy, Genesis, Psalms, and Malachi..... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes, but the problem is we haven't continued that tradition. Otherwise we wouldn't have homeless people.

~ Ashley C.
"We"* have (continue in righteousness in Jesus, by faith and grace; NOT in tradition like the worldly church(es) ).
*(Ekklesia immersed in Jesus Name, obedient to Him, all around the world; Anabaptists et al ..... ) .

As far as there still being homeless people, what did Jesus Himself say about the poor ?

Upvote 0

ashleycarly

Jun 7, 2017
Washington, DC
✟8,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you're referring to Jesus talking about the poor always being with us, you have to remember that Jesus often spoke in parables. I don't think He was saying we shouldn't care about the poor because there will always be poor people. I believe He was more emphasizing that His disciples needed to spend time with Him because He wouldn't always be there with them, physically. He had to return to His Father.

And if the state of the poor didn't matter, the book of Acts -- as you pointed out -- wouldn't celebrate the believers not having any lack.

~ Ashley C.

• Useful
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's a beautiful story, brinny. But I've also had the same concern when I see homeless people. I've given money, but I've also given water -- especially on hot days -- and granola bars. But week after week I see the same people in the same places. Nothing I do ever seems to be enough. The only way I see us improving their lot is to get rid of the factors that lead to homelessness. But because that task seems too impossible, we stick to doing easier things. It's like treating the symptoms of a disease rather than the disease itself.

Even though Jesus healed the sick and resurrected the dead, He said we can do "even greater things than these" (John 14:12, NIV). So, impossible as it may seem, if we all work together, I know we could end homelessness forever. But that would require changing society, which starts with changing how people think. We have to take the emphasis off money and put it on helping each other. And no one can do this alone.

~ Ashley C.

God bless you Ashley, yes it can seem overwhelming...i've given water on hot days to the homeless, etc.

I've been homeless myself, and was pregnant at the time. When i see a homeless person, especially what seems like just a heap o' rags, blankets that they're sleeping under, i begin a conversation. Another homeless guy who would sit in his wheelchair and ask for money, come to find out, was a veteran. He was also depressed and was, one night, attempting to wheel his chair into heavy traffic. i took hold of the back of the chair, and prevented him from wheeling it into the traffic. He was furious. I told him that it just wasn't his night to die, go ahead get mad. i called police, and they knew him. i also called his social worker to get things moving for intervention. And i prayed the entire time. Still am. Many of our veterans are homeless and are experiencing PTSD, depression, etc.

That night? i just sorta asked God for help while i prevented one of our veterans from killing himself.

This may sound strange, but many times i could'a sworn the many homeless ones i saw and ran across were quite possibly "angels unawares".

db286ed976a9c833a3d416e54b0a918c.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ashleycarly

Jun 7, 2017
Washington, DC
✟8,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no doubt that many of them are "angels unawares."

It's tragic how so many of our veterans are reduced to that life, but I'm so grateful you were there for that man. I hope his life will be forever changed as a result -- and not just physically, but spiritually too, knowing that someone cared enough for him to do something like that.

I'm sorry you once found yourself in a state of homelessness as well, but I praise God that He brought you and your child (or children) out. Now you know better than most people how to comfort those currently passing through that stage. I just wish we could end homelessness for good. I wish our society wouldn't accept that condition for any human being. But I know wishing doesn't do them much good.

~ Ashley C.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,593.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I give the homeless money if I have it to spare. It's the one charity where you can guarantee zero percent going to administration costs or some organisation I may or may not agree with.

I understand that in some cases the money i give might be fed into addictions or other unwise choices, but I figure this person is already in a desperate situation and they don't need my judgment or to be treated like a child.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I love challenging our preconceptions and notions of right and wrong... So let me ask you....

Is being homeless really so bad?

I remember watching documentaries on sweat shop conditions in Asia. People working 14 to 16 hour grueling days, basically being fed gruel in the form of porridge or watery rice and a smattering of vegetables. The company had their employees living in barracks, often 3 or 4 families (yes families) sharing a room 50 x 50 foot space. The barracks often had one or two bathrooms per floor shared by 20 or so families...

In other parts of the world, people toil in the fields for much of the day, then come home to a hut with no electricity or running water then do it again next day...

IN the West, we have been conditioned to regard homelessness as this condition akin to hell. But truth be told, being homeless in America is a better standard of living than probably 50% of the people on the planet. If you are homeless in America you have access to libraries, you can go and watch TV on the computer, you can get a book. You can then panhandle for change and eat at McDonalds. There are plenty of places that look the other way and allow homeless people to use the bathrooms (McDonalds, Starbucks, public libraries most major fast food restaurants not located in Downtown areas and of course homeless shelters). Homeless people often actually have cell phones and laptops and belong to their own homeless communities.

Is everything roses if you are homeless? Of course, not. You face dangers from not only other homeless people but the police as well and rich kids looking to have a bit of "fun" with homeless people because society will look the other way...

hmmm... so what is the point of my post? Well, I thought I would just introduce a different perspective on homelessness before I launch into my second argument.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One of the major problems with giving money directly to panhandlers (and I don't use that term pejoratively) is that many of them are begging as a career. Some of us get up, shower, put on a shirt an tie and go to an office every morning. Some others throw on rags and stand on a street corner with a can and a cardboard sign. By giving them money you never truly know whether you're helping someone in need or not. And worse yet, every dollar given to a scammer is one less dollar for someone who actually needs it.

This is why I feel it's better to donate directly to soup kitchen, shelters, and outreach programs that directly help the homeless. I want to make sure my money help people who actually need it.

Upvote 0