Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I always feel guilty. But the reality is they s/b going to the church & not doing it @ busy intersections. The church is happy to help.

It's okay to give even if you think you're doing it for selfish reasons. The reality is we're all human & have sinful thoughts.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am jusually afraid of not giving to beggars and I feel better doing so than not but at the same time I know it is for selfish ambitions. It feels better to give because then I feel less guilty. Should I still give to beggars even though I do not actually care too much?
Welcome to CF! God knows your heart and your motivations. We can not hide from Him. That being said, ask Him to help you love those who are in need so that all guilt is lifted from your heart.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will not give money but I will give food. Not long ago I was coming out of Golden Corral. A "homeless man" approached me outside the door. I offered to take him inside and buy him a meal, He said, "No I want a hamburger." I said, "Good luck." And went on my way.
On another occasion I was entering Cook Out fast food restaurant and was approached by a homeless man. I took him inside and bought him a meal. He asked me what he could order. I said anything you want.

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I try to keep a few $10 bills in my wallet, and if asked I’ll give one, no questions asked, no exceptions, no expectations. I think it was John Piper who said that he couldn’t imagine getting to Heaven and having Jesus tell him “You know, I really appreciated how shrewd you were with helping out people with your money”.

• Haha
Reactions: Br4nd0n
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I sometimes wonder what it would feel like if I lost my home and had to go out onto the streets to fend for myself.

The humiliation of being thrown out of my home would be one thing. The heartbreak of leaving behind the things I cherished the most, such as family and companionship, would be another.

Being totally uprooted, I would be left to wonder the streets, not knowing where to go or where to turn. With hundreds of unkind faces staring at me, judging me, when they don't even know who I am or where I come from.

I reckon it must take a lot of courage for a beggar to ask someone for their help, knowing fine well that most of the time they will be given the cold shoulder. I think most of us take for granted that there is always someone in our lives we can ask for help. Even if they might not be able to, at least they care about us enough to acknowledge us.

One thing a beggar will quickly recognise is kindness when they see it: the couple who stopped by to chat. The lady who brought them a sandwich to eat. For them, one single act of kindness would be like the sun coming out and shining on them all day.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found that there is a difference between a professional beggar and one who has experienced homelessness through hardships in life. One is willing to work and the other isn't. One is shameless, the other embarrassed at there situation. One strives to better their circumstances, the other boasts about it.
One is thankful for blessings, the other believes they are entitled to what you have.

2 Thes.3:10 For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.”

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,851.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have found that there is a difference between a professional beggar and one who has experienced homelessness through hardships in life.
I believe this is a good point. I always thought grouping everyone together under one banner, who is holding up a sign as strange. Where I live they are all called "homeless". (We would never use the term "beggar" because it seems insulting.) Some are homeless, some aren't. Some can't work and some don't want to. Some are truly needy and others are a scam. Etc. Etc. Their situations and motivations are very diverse. That is why I say if you truly want to help the "needy" giving to a shelter is much more effective.
My church has been helping the homeless for years. (Often to an extreme that angers the neighbors...)We found out pretty quickly that not all that ask, really need help. If you have unlimited resources, great give to every con artist that comes along. However, if you desire to help those who truly need help, giving to an entity that helps the homeless, insures your funds are used to help those in need.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am jusually afraid of not giving to beggars and I feel better doing so than not but at the same time I know it is for selfish ambitions. It feels better to give because then I feel less guilty. Should I still give to beggars even though I do not actually care too much?

It is good that you recognize that even in your good works you are still sinful. That is a proper understanding of how the Law condemns us in our sin. But what you are missing is the Gospel: Christ came to save sinners, you. God loves you, a sinner, and gives you the righteousness of Jesus Christ as a pure gift as His grace toward you. Though even in your good works you still sin, take hold of the promise of God which is yours in Jesus who forgives you all of your sins. You are forgiven.

And the person on the street still needs food, shelter, and water. So give. Giving won't make you righteous, but it does mean your hungry neighbor can eat.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums