tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
I agree that 10% is biblical but I think that it is a principle and not a hard fast rule. What I mean is that we must remember the spirit of the law and the spirit of our worship to God. If some one can't give 10% to God becasue they are very poor then I think that they give as they can and they still are worshipping God.

Just to speak from my own personal experience...Give the 10% and stand on faith that God will fulfill his promise to take care of us.

At times in my life when i have not tithed, it didn't seem to matter how much money i was making. I was always broke and looking for more money. When I tithe as God commanded my finances almost miraculously come under control. Funny thing is, I can't point to one single thing I was doing differently...except tithing.

Remeber we live by faith. God knows our needs.

Upvote 0
The tithe was of the Law !

Abraham gave a tenth from the spoils of war. He never gave a tenth from his wealth ! And Abraham was wealthy , and God prospered Abraham with much !

You can not use Abraham as an example of why one should give the tithe ! Because Abraham never gave from what God had prospered him, but only from the spoils of war. Going to war was not the "only" way in which God prospered Abraham. So ask yourself this, why did not Abraham give a tenth from those things that God prospered Abraham ?

If you claim that the tithe is the minimum to give to God, you are wrong ! God always looks at the heart !

You can not find one record in the NT that shows us that we as Christians are responisble to give of the tithe !

If you do on part of the Law, you are a debtor to do the whole Law - Galatians 5:3

If you want to learn about giving , as taught in the first century Church, then read II Corinth. chapters 8 & 9 . And Acts 2:44 - 47 and Acts 4:31 - 35. And Romans 15:25 - 28

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You can not find one record in the NT that shows us that we as Christians are responisble to give of the tithe ! "

Umm..tithing is quite biblical in my opinion. Its a disciple of submisison to God, acknowledging all you have is his. your galaitains verse really isn't applicable because as christians you don't throw away the law all togehter, you use it as a guide to live, but are not condemned if you don't follow it perfectly.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell there are several options before me on giving, I can either:
1) Refuse to give to the ministry
2) I can wait until "the Spirit moves me"
3) I can give an Old Testament tithe
4) I can follow the example of my heavenly Father and give generously Luke 6:38 "Give, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over" "Be you perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Mt. 5:48).

Upvote 0

rwc109

Feb 18, 2002
meditation moving mighty mountains - more moonston
✟1,275.00
Faith
Marital Status
Engaged
The early church had EVERYTHING in common, what's to give to whom?
Who looks after ALL the poor and needy BEFORE TAKING from the church these days?
Why do clergy think themselves more right to take money than others.
Why is there a hierarchy now so that some of the 'congregation' have more rights about the communal money than others???
[some don't even think they are of the congregation, but even may say they are more holy
...do they deserve a better standard of living than the poor for their 'holiness' that would hardly please God??]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by rwc109
The early church had EVERYTHING in common, what's to give to whom?
Who looks after ALL the poor and needy BEFORE TAKING from the church these days?
Why do clergy think themselves more right to take money than others.
Why is there a hierarchy now so that some of the 'congregation' have more rights about the communal money than others???
[some don't even think they are of the congregation, but even may say they are more holy
...do they deserve a better standard of living than the poor for their 'holiness' that would hardly please God??]

I guess it depends upon what kind of church you belong to. Are you describing your church?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.