Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I got a few gifts at my confirmation in 2017: an icon of Saint Andrew the Apostle (my namesake), a very special rosary that the woman who leads a prayer team at my parish made for me, and a wearable crucifix that was blessed by Saint John Paul II that the former bishop of my diocese received in 2004 during his ad limina visit to Rome.

I didn't have a chain for the crucifix until recently and I started wearing it last year. I've never been one to wear jewelry but as my workplace got more and more hostile to the faith I thought it'd be good to wear that (I should really wear my brown scapular to but that's another topic) so the rough edges of the crucifix could be felt on my chest. I think it's gone a long way to keep my mind connected and focused on the good, the true, and the beautiful while I'm immersed in the sludge of my work culture.

My question, is there anything wrong with giving my confirmation gift to someone? Not lightly as if I just gave it to a stranger at a bus stop (although I suppose if Our Lord compelled me in an undeniable way I'd do it) but I'm thinking more if I gave it to a future spouse or someone with that kind of relationship to me. Since it was given to me for my confirmation and it's tied to my reception of the Sacraments for the first time, is there any reason I shouldn't gift it to someone?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got a few gifts at my confirmation in 2017: an icon of Saint Andrew the Apostle (my namesake), a very special rosary that the woman who leads a prayer team at my parish made for me, and a wearable crucifix that was blessed by Saint John Paul II that the former bishop of my diocese received in 2004 during his ad limina visit to Rome.

I didn't have a chain for the crucifix until recently and I started wearing it last year. I've never been one to wear jewelry but as my workplace got more and more hostile to the faith I thought it'd be good to wear that (I should really wear my brown scapular to but that's another topic) so the rough edges of the crucifix could be felt on my chest. I think it's gone a long way to keep my mind connected and focused on the good, the true, and the beautiful while I'm immersed in the sludge of my work culture.

My question, is there anything wrong with giving my confirmation gift to someone? Not lightly as if I just gave it to a stranger at a bus stop (although I suppose if Our Lord compelled me in an undeniable way I'd do it) but I'm thinking more if I gave it to a future spouse or someone with that kind of relationship to me. Since it was given to me for my confirmation and it's tied to my reception of the Sacraments for the first time, is there any reason I shouldn't gift it to someone?
No not at all. You could gift it to someone special. I assume it’s been blessed and is now a sacramental?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No not at all. You could gift it to someone special. I assume it’s been blessed and is now a sacramental?

Yes, it was blessed by Saint John Paul II about 13 years before it was given to me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it was blessed by Saint John Paul II about 13 years before it was given to me.
I would just make sure the person had a clear understanding of sacramentals and how they are to be treated. But I got a feeling that won’t be a problem if it is a future spouse or fellow Catholic.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would just make sure the person had a clear understanding of sacramentals and how they are to be treated. But I got a feeling that won’t be a problem if it is a future spouse or fellow Catholic.

Right the person I have in mind understands them very well.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I wouldn't give them away but I don't think it's wrong. Good job on wearing the crucifix btw.

... If you care my name is Andrew too

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wouldn't give them away but I don't think it's wrong. Good job on wearing the crucific btw.

... If you care my name is Andrew too

Ah yes! A fellow Andrew, a strong name!

It's funny I've always been surrounded by other Andrews in one way or another. One of my three best friends since I was a toddler is also named Andrew, we were in school together all our lives so we always went by Andrew B. (Him) and Andrew S. (me) in class. By the time I was in high school I think I had 5-6 other Andrews in my circle...funny how that is.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah yes! A fellow Andrew, a strong name!

It's funny I've always been surrounded by other Andrews in one way or another. One of my three best friends since I was a toddler is also named Andrew, we were in school together all our lives so we always went by Andrew B. (Him) and Andrew S. (me) in class. By the time I was in high school I think I had 5-6 other Andrews in my circle...funny how that is.
I have the opposite experience lol. When I was in school there was only two other people to my knowledge with the name Andrew. In the entire school. I don't recall meeting someone with my name after school either.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have the opposite experience lol. When I was in school there was only two other people to my knowledge with the name Andrew. In the entire school. I don't recall meeting someone with my name after school either.

Ha that's interesting! Must be the difference in naming trends at the time between the UK and US.

Is there something you need to tell us Andrew? :)

We'll see! After this evening I'll know more for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keep us updated... if you feel comfortable of course. :)
Ha that's interesting! Must be the difference in naming trends at the time between the UK and US.

We'll see! After this evening I'll know more for sure.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0