Giving and tithing

How much are we to give?

• 10% is what God expects

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • We don't have to give

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • At least 10%, a smaller percentage if we are poor, a highter percentage if we are rich

• Less than 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We owe everyting to God, so more that 10%

• Total voters

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How much are we to give?

Are you able to produce any verse from the New Testament which gives any instruction as to how much?

If your belief is 10% what is it based upon, the Old Testament Law which was only given to the Jews?

Therefore are we required to give anything?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
How much are we to give?
The thing is, if tithing is an obligation then it's not an act of generosity. As I read it, Christians are not under the law, but under grace. Generosity is an act of grace. Note how it is described in 2Cor 9:7 "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

How much to give? I say don't give if you're being manipulated or compelled to give. And don't give more than you would be reluctant to give. Generosity should be from the heart. It's what you cheerfully give. If you don't feel cheerful to give, then don't give.

However there is also the issue of paying for services rendered. Paul mentions in 1Cor 9 his right to get paid for ministry. But he goes on to mention that out of his own generosity he relinquished getting paid for ministry. And in fact elsewhere like Acts 20:33-35 he encourages others to follow his example in doing ministry free of charge. Generosity is not just give money freely, but also can be rendering service freely. And there are other such ways generosity can be exercised.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How much are we to give?
It really comes down to one's conscience. There are good [Old Testament] Biblical reasons for the 10% tithe, but it isn't a New Testament mandate.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you able to produce any verse from the New Testament which gives any instruction as to how much?

If your belief is 10% what is it based upon, the Old Testament Law which was only given to the Jews?

Jesus is priest after order of Melchizidek.
Abraham tithe to him even tho there was no Priesthood and no Jews .

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How much are we to give?
The process of giving 10% is in the spirit of "first fruits."
Given that 30% of spending is discretionary, this can result in 20% more income.
So in giving 10% you are left with 20% to spend on the needs of others.
Or shoes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Jews were consider God's chosen people and that was a model for all believers as God's chosen people.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
How much are we to give?
I always talk it over with the Lord. On top of my financial assistance, I spend several hours every Monday at the church doing maintenance chores, and frequently go up to the church other days of the church to do more.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course we are to give since Jesus tells us so. How much I think depends on how much we have. If we are really poor, it can be practically impossible to give any money. If we are rich I believe we are to give a bigger percentage. The more we have been given the more we are to give. I know there is no law for Christians to give 10%, but I think the 10% is a good base to work from, but we can give more or less depending on our situation.

What Paul says about being a cheerful giver has been an excuse for not giving. Of course we are to give even we may not be cheerful about it. But if we come to the understanding that everything we have has been given us from God, it's easier giving cheerfully. Also when we remind ourselves that all we give to others we give to Christ.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: creslaw
Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I always talk it over with the Lord. On top of my financial assistance, I spend several hours every Monday at the church doing maintenance chores, and frequently go up to the church other days of the church to do more.

Great! We can also serve in other ways than with money.:oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Jews were consider God's chosen people and that was a model for all believers as God's chosen people.

They are the example of what not to be as Gods people.

If there was a way for them to rebel they found it every time, they were of the world, earthly, sensual we on the other hand are Spiritual, not of this world.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you give here on Earth is “treasure in Heave “. You don’t have to give a dime .One can be saved and spend eternity broke.It is wiser to give.Eternity could turn out to be a long time....why spend it on the bottom rungs?The more you give here, the more you get There. Wesley kept 10% and gave 90% of his income.If I give nothing I should not expect the same rewards that he will be blessed with . If you are a Christian God is gonna make a giver out of you.You will be eternally grateful.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul said we are to share materially with the one who brings you the Gospel.The more you give, the more you get .Some get rewarded in this life.....some get it in Heaven......some get both.....you can tithe all of your life and die broke, but your reward will awaiting you “ over there.”

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Giving is rewarded.

Matthew 6:3-4
But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Cornelius was blessed because of his generosity.

Acts 10
1 Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort, 2 a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to the Jewish people and prayed to God continually. 3 About the ninth hour of the day he clearly saw in a vision an angel of God who had just come in and said to him, “Cornelius!” 4 And fixing his gaze on him and being much alarmed, he said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and alms have ascended as a memorial before God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
People who do not agree with tithing must consider why they give less (if they do) ... and who they choose to give it to.

I give less than 10% because i can't afford to give 10%. God is not going to pay my rent if i give him my rent money. As a Christian you have to be ecomonically responsible.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I give less than 10% because i can't afford to give 10%. God is not going to pay my rent if i give him my rent money. As a Christian you have to be ecomonically responsible.
Eh, you'd be surprised. God may well send someone to pay your rent should you step out in steps of faith (whether it's money or anything else).

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course we are to give since Jesus tells us so. How much I think depends on how much we have. If we are really poor, it can be practically impossible to give any money. If we are rich I believe we are to give a bigger percentage. The more we have been given the more we are to give. I know there is no law for Christians to give 10%, but I think the 10% is a good base to work from, but we can give more or less depending on our situation.

What Paul says about being a cheerful giver has been an excuse for not giving. Of course we are to give even we may not be cheerful about it. But if we come to the understanding that everything we have has been given us from God, it's easier giving cheerfully. Also when we remind ourselves that all we give to others we give to Christ.

You know what's worse? Handing over the primary portion to one's religious organization where most of it is absorbed into the support of the facility, utilities and materials. That is nothing more than the people reaping direct benefit from their so-called "giving".

Look, when we give to the poor and needy to meet their needs, we reap nothing in return on this earth, but rather store up treasure in Heaven. Much of what one gives to a church organization where they attend, that portion is not giving at all, but rather paying their dues. Buildings, parking lots, carpeting, Sunday school wings, offices, et al, those are luxuries, not necessities.

I have no problem with a group of people having a communal facility and all its various trappings and horrendous expenses. Just don't call that "Giving to God." That is a false claim when one considers that the building and everything around it will burn with this earth. It's literal hay, wood, stone and stubble. The early Church had no such practice, and yet people the world over continue trying to build institutionalism upon the framework of the Bible.

Give the primary, largest portion of your "giving" to meet real needs, and THEN hand over what's left to support that dead building and its expenditures. It is then that we better align ourselves with the Bible rather than to fool ourselves into a false sense of having done what is pleasing to the Lord what clearly contradicts the very book most claim to believe and follow.

Jr

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know what's worse? Handing over the primary portion to one's religious organization where most of it is absorbed into the support of the facility, utilities and materials. That is nothing more than the people reaping direct benefit from their so-called "giving".

Look, when we give to the poor and needy to meet their needs, we reap nothing in return on this earth, but rather store up treasure in Heaven. Much of what one gives to a church organization where they attend, that portion is not giving at all, but rather paying their dues. Buildings, parking lots, carpeting, Sunday school wings, offices, et al, those are luxuries, not necessities.

I have no problem with a group of people having a communal facility and all its various trappings and horrendous expenses. Just don't call that "Giving to God." That is a false claim when one considers that the building and everything around it will burn with this earth. It's literal hay, wood, stone and stubble. The early Church had no such practice, and yet people the world over continue trying to build institutionalism upon the framework of the Bible.

Give the primary, largest portion of your "giving" to meet real needs, and THEN hand over what's left to support that dead building and its expenditures. It is then that we better align ourselves with the Bible rather than to fool ourselves into a false sense of having done what is pleasing to the Lord what clearly contradicts the very book most claim to believe and follow.

Jr

Just make sure you do what Christ asks you, and that is to give ;)

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just make sure you do what Christ asks you, and that is to give ;)

I'm not saying that it's your position, but I have yet to find anyone who can show me where Christ asked that we give blindly, and primarily to that from which we directly benefit.

Why?

Because that isn't giving. It's paying one's dues.

Upvote 0