Giving Alms

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
When we do good works, giving to others who may be in need. Are we giving from the the heart, or doing it so that others will see our good works? There are many different ways we do good works. And the following scripture tells us it's better to do certain things in secret.

Matthew 6:1-4
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

I sat one night considering for quit some time all the different ways we might give alms. And I also took some time to consider some of the reasons for our acts of kindness to be done in secret.

Sure we will be rewarded for doing our good works in secret. But I think there's a much deeper reason why we should do some things in secret.

The number one thing that hit me was while it is wrong for us to try and make ourselves look good in the eyes of others, by boasting about things we do, or by showing everyone this great deed we have done. There's something else that we are doing that we might not be able to see when we try to help another and make it a public affair. In effect we tear down that other person who needed the help, we put them on the spot before others, to them it might feel we are showing everyone else how poor and pitiful the person we're trying to help is, so that others can see how great we are. When we do this in the wrong way we are not truly thinking about the feelings of the one we are trying to help, but only ourselves.

So in a way if we give alms in public we build ourselves up and tear another down. When we should be doing all we can to build that other person up.

I thought it might be interesting to come up with some ways we might give alms, as in acts of kindness or charity towards others. And the best ways to go about doing such so we can look at some examples.

Can anyone come up with some examples, of how we should, or shouldn't give and how the way we go about giving can effect the person we are trying to help?

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Ah, GOOD job, GMI!!! It is hard for humans to do acts of kindness in complete secrecy. We tend to want, at least the receipients of our kind deeds, to know who it was that blessed them.

At a Church I once attended, there was a custom of seeking out those in the community (whether they went to that Church or not) in need and supplying those needs. I remember one occassion where the people had no money and no food. So, in typical fashion, everyone brought to the Church a can or two, from their cupboard, of food they would never eat anyway, and took it to them. Good grief!

My heart was touched and so I thought it would be more appropriate to do something on my own, so I went to town and bought the things they did not get. I bought eggs, and meats, and chickens, and cooking oil and flour and all the things one normally needs to feed a family decent food for a couple of weeks untill they could get on their feet.

They were, of course grateful to get them, and I felt blessed to be able to help, as it was a bit of a sacrifice for me at the time. Nevertheless, I went away less blessed than I could have been. It was not for a long time that I realized what I had done wrong. I failed to insure that only God receive the credit and glory for the act.

What I should have done was take the stuff in the evening and leave it on the porch, unnoticed. Then when they found it they could only have given credit to God, and I would have been doubly blessed. It is sad that, sometimes, it takes us so long to learn the proper way.

Upvote 0

nomad

Mar 7, 2003
Minneapolis
Visit site
✟570.00
I've got to tell you GraftMeIn there is always something about your posts that just "I can't put it into words".

Keeping good works private keep those who may become jealous or misinterpret your intent off your back is a good reason to do as much in secret as possible.

I would have posted anonymously but you can't do that.

Pray for someone you know who needs it but are to afraid to ask.

Give a monetary gift to your Pastor anonymously in an envelope with his/her name with a note this is for you only and not the church.

Sending flowers anonymously to someone you know is blue.

Hiring some teens to mow the lawn for an elderly person with instructions to keep it anonymous but with a note "Jesus Loves You your not forgotten."

Getting that special toy for that child who's parents would like to but can't because they don't have the money and send it anonymously.

Slip a scripture verse in the persons mailbox anonymously that you know needs to be reading it.   Same goes with a Spirit led word of advice.

Slipping a five dollar bill in the hymm book of your neighbor so they have something to give when the plate is passed.

Sending anonymously to that couple with three kids a monetary gift with instructions to hire a baby sitter and get out on a date.

Pray secretly for God to open your eyes to the needs of those in your church and anyone in whom you can fill a need yourself anonymously.  He will answer you. 

There is great reward and greater profit to the Kingdom of God to be had when you go in stealth mode to do your works.

May God Bless You

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we do good works, giving to others who may be in need. Are we giving from the the heart, or doing it so that others will see our good works? There are many different ways we do good works. And the following scripture tells us it's better to do certain things in secret.

Today at 03:25 AM Gerry said this in Post #2

Ah, GOOD job, GMI!!! It is hard for humans to do acts of kindness in complete secrecy. We tend to want, at least the receipients of our kind deeds, to know who it was that blessed them.

What I should have done was take the stuff in the evening and leave it on the porch, unnoticed. Then when they found it they could only have given credit to God, and I would have been doubly blessed. It is sad that, sometimes, it takes us so long to learn the proper way.

Oh this hits home to me.  I have always been one to help others without a second thought, but always for wrong reasons.  To affirm i'm a good person, and to win approval.  While in the world, this is noteworthy, in Christ, this is sin disquised.  watch out, satan loves this one.

This thread witnesseed to me a great deal, along with practical ways to give the love of Jesus without taking the credit.  

:bow: :clap:  thank you

Upvote 0