Giving advice is a double edged sword. Regarding humble, OSAS, salvation, correction, judgment...

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If someone is a christian but also holds views that are far from christian, like reincarnation, some of the bible isn't real....etc, they are living a certain lifestyle choice. Are they "saved"? The problem is in this forum we cannot tell someone they are not saved. And its judgemental. And its true that we don't actually know if someone is saved or not. Only God knows.

However I'm always confused in these situations because how do we respond to such people then? If I replied to said person "I cannot judge if your saved or not, but many of your beliefs are not biblical. What I do believe is the bible says many will stand before Him and He will say Go away, I do not know you!"

Is that judging? I never said the person was not saved. Where does correction and reproof play a role? I see it as correction/reproof.

I guess the bigger issue is we get into the whole OSAS thing. So for people that believe in OSAS they would tell every person they got nothing to fear. But I don't believe in OSAS because it would mean technically you can do whatever you want and still go to heaven. Like maybe be a pedophile and serial killer. Some OSAS followers would say "But that person was not saved to begin with then!". Which makes little sense. If they have Jesus in their heart then in your own words, they have nothing to fear right?

Which is why I go back to said person at the top. I feel what I said was ok. Sure, obviously I have no idea if said person is saved or not. Not my call. But if someone is far from God in their beliefs I believe they can lose salvation.

The last issue that comes up is if I add to remark to him that "Even I don't know, maybe God will want me to go away too!". Then people will say I don't have enough faith to say something like that. But if I don't say something like that, then I would be prideful for thinking anything I say doesn't apply to me too. AKA we all are not perfect. And if I respond I said that because I am humble enough to admit I am not perfect nor know the future even though I believe I am saved and will see heaven. People would then say humble people don't say they are humble. Its why sometimes I don't wish to help people at all because its always taken out of context or someone complains. And ironically since I said that some would say not trying to help people or lead people is wrong also.

So it seems in general trying to talk to anyone about anything can be frustrating. No matter what you say or don't say people will assume things. But then I guess thats just how life is as a christian. And why in the end you can try your best to give advice, but only God knows you and your intentions when giving advice to people.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a general rule of thumb:

speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15 NASB)

Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. (Colossians 4:6 NASB)

Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. (Galatians 6:1 NASB)​

If you are still misunderstood and misinterpreted after you have done that, just remember, it does not matter how people see you, what matters is, how God sees you.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are they "saved"?
My grandmother did not get saved until she was close to 100 years old. I believe that her last year of life was her best because she had a peace in her life that she had never experienced before. I use to witness to her and she always said that what I told her sounded good and that was something she wanted. Then the day came when they took her to church and she went to the altar and she was a different person after that. Like I said she has a lot more of the peace of God in her life. She was no longer troubled like she had been before. She had times in life when she said she felt "punk" like she had the flu. Otherwise she was pretty healthy all of her life and she had a few minor strokes but nothing all that serious.

Upvote 0