Give me one beneficial mutation.

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
I am not an expert in the field of biology, but I am willing to take one on.
You admit that you know little of biology, yet you think you can effectively debate an expert in the field. I think there’s a word for that.

In any case, you asked for a single instance of evidence of a beneficial mutation. You’ve been given several now by people who appear to know a good deal more on the subject than you. Are you ready now to take the advice in your signature?

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟10,237.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Heaven-Sent,

There are three things i would like you to do.
1. Define "mutation"
2. Give a example of a non-beneficial mutation
3. Define beneficial

I think that between the three of them the goalposts should be fairly steadily locked down.

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
I
My cat eats cat food, but will also eat yogurt if I drop it on the floor. I made a smoothie earlier and some split on the ground, she ate that too. Like a vacuum cleaner, but no work involved.

Can your cat digest Nylon?

Let me ask you this....what would you accept as a "beneficial mutation?"

All of these are just using added existing code.

So what would qualify as new code?

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Creationism is beneficial, however some would argue it's not a mutation.

Sane people will argue that creationism doesn't exist

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
Is is any of our local creatins going to give us an example of what a beneficial mutation would look like? Some how I highly doubt it...

Here, I'll even give you a hand. Below is an example of a genetic sequence:
acaagatgcc attgtccccc ggcctcctgc

Now please show us what a "beneficial mutation" should look like.

Upvote 0

greenery

Aug 31, 2010
✟7,662.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Is is any of our local creatins going to give us an example of what a beneficial mutation would look like? Some how I highly doubt it...

Here, I'll even give you a hand. Below is an example of a genetic sequence:
acaagatgcc attgtccccc ggcctcctgc

Now please show us what a "beneficial mutation" should look like.
Please remember that creationists are designed to be parrots and as such are only capable of repeating what they have been told, they know nothing about the questions they ask and would not understand any answers they were given.

I often think a creationists is like a person who learns to asks what the time is in a foreign language,
they can ask the question but are unable to understand the answer.

When a creationist gains actual knowledge they soon stop being creationists.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My cat eats cat food, but will also eat yogurt if I drop it on the floor. I made a smoothie earlier and some split on the ground, she ate that too. Like a vacuum cleaner, but no work involved.

Can your cat digest nylons and actually use it as food?

If you cant understand the answer to the question you asked, it will always seem unanswered. You probably cant even explain what type of answer your looking for. And if you cant do this then their is no point to answering your questions.

Upvote 0

Heaven-Sent

Sep 3, 2010
✟15,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In every case given here, the mutation involves existing code. Show me the addition of new code. To put it simply:

A car has many parts. To make it run faster, louder, or more efficiently I can change the arrangement of parts, add more of the existing parts, or take parts away. In every case I am not adding anything new to the car.

This is how all of the mutations listed in this thread have been. I've yet to see something with new code.

See sig...

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
In every case given here, the mutation involves existing code. Show me the addition of new code. To put it simply:

A car has many parts. To make it run faster, louder, or more efficiently I can change the arrangement of parts, add more of the existing parts, or take parts away. In every case I am not adding anything new to the car.

This is how all of the mutations listed in this thread have been. I've yet to see something with new code.

See sig...

Here's an example of a genetic sequence:
acaagatgccattgtcccccggcctcctgc

Please give us an example of what "new code" would look like.

If you're not going to tell us what you would accept as "new code" then you have no business asking for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟10,237.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

See sig...

so just in case you missed it..

1. Define "mutation"
3. Define beneficial

Upvote 0

Heaven-Sent

Sep 3, 2010
✟15,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
so just in case you missed it..

1. Define "mutation"
3. Define beneficial

1. Mutation - A relatively permanent change in hereditary material involving either a physical change in chromosome relations or a biochemical change in the codons that make up genes.

2. A 5 legged horse.

3. Beneficial - Receiving or entitling one to receive an advantage.

Note: A 5 legged horse will not run faster then a 4 legged horse. An advantage would be for a horse to mutate wings and be able to fly. I would trade my car in for one of those bad boys. Scientists, get to work!

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. Mutation - A relatively permanent change in hereditary material involving either a physical change in chromosome relations or a biochemical change in the codons that make up genes.

2. A 5 legged horse.

Note: A 5 legged horse will not run faster then a 4 legged horse. An advantage would be for a horse to mutate wings and be able to fly. I would trade my car in for one of those bad boys. Scientists, get to work!

your question was answered in the second post. new information was added and the old information was wiped this resulted in a benefit.

Upvote 0

Aianna

Vibrant Vegan
Oct 2, 2007
New York
✟15,303.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
how about adding any letter besides a, c, g, or t.

So like when uracil was replaced by thymine when DNA evolved? I don't think that was a mutation, but you seem to be confused as to what a mutation is.

DNA is made up of four molecules that pair up with one another in sequence. The four main bases of DNA are cytosine, guanine, adenine, and thymine.

You CAN have bases other than those from mutations after the DNA has formed. One example of such a base is 5-methylcytosine.

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist

All the examples given to you conforms to that definition.

All the examples given to you conforms to that definition.

A horse mutating wings wouldn't be evolution; that would be magic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
how about adding any letter besides a, c, g, or t.
all dna is comprised of acgt. all that changes is length and sequence. New information can be added with a mutation that changes the order of the dna. the new information replaces the old information.

Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
Gene duplication is not new code.

Gene duplication is a mutation. This thread is about beneficial mutations. You specifically asked for mutations not "new code." What part of that don't you understand?

Oh yeah, I'm still waiting for that example of what "new code" would look like.

Reactions: driewerf
Upvote 0

Flatland

Aug 25, 2010
✟15,374.00
Faith
Atheist
How would this be magic? How did birds evolve?

Birds evolved through slow successive changes. They did not mutate wings. That would be magic.

In other words, birds evolved wings through many many (thousands, millions etc...) of mutations and not just through a single mutation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0