Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

Girl Scouts no longer "compatible" with Gospel, Archdiocese of Kansas City says

This is ridiculous. It also undermines claims that the Church's opposition to women's ordination and contraception are entirely theological and not at all driven by misogyny. Some of these right-wing priests and bishops are even banning women from being altar servers in certain parishes and dioceses. And now Catholic young women can't even be Girl Scouts in the Diocese of Kansas City, because some male Archbishop is in a rage because the Scouts allegedly highlight iconic female role models who fought for greater civil rights for women (I guess in some pamphlet or something?). I'm sorry, were the Girl Scouts supposed to promote women being barefoot and in the kitchen instead?

I don't know what this alternate "Heritage Scout" thing is, but you can be sure I would be putting my daughter, if I had one, and she was interested scouting, in the *real* Girl Scouts that teaches women how to be strong and independent, and not some conservative knockoff that's opposed to that, even if I had to drive her to a Protestant congregation or the local library or where ever else real Girl Scouts meet in dioceses where some people seem to have watched one too many episodes of The O'Reilly Factor on FOX News.

This is appalling on the Archdiocese's part. You can bet the Virgin Mary and Mary Madelene would not approve of this. Neither would Jesus Christ. The nuns who taught me in elementary school would be appalled as well. This is not how Catholicism is supposed to work.

And the Heritage Scouts sound about as real as the "thin mints" you buy at the Dollar Store. The real Girl Scouts are the ones with the real thin mint cookies. Accept no immitations.

Last edited:

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
Link:

This is ridiculous. It also undermines claims that the Church's opposition to women's ordination and contraception are entirely theological and not at all driven by misogyny. Some of these right-wing priests and bishops are even banning women from being altar servers in certain parishes and dioceses. And now Catholic young women can't even be Girl Scouts in the Diocese of Kansas City, because some male Archbishop is in a rage because the Scouts allegedly highlight iconic female role models who fought for greater civil rights for women (I guess in some pamphlet or something?). I'm sorry, were the Girl Scouts supposed to promote women being barefoot and in the kitchen instead?

I don't know what this alternate "Heritage Scout" thing is, but you can be sure I would be putting my daughter, if I had one, and she was interested scouting, in the *real* Girl Scouts that teaches women how to be strong and independent, and not some conservative knockoff that's opposed to that, even if I had to drive her to a Protestant congregation or the local library or where ever else real Girl Scouts meet in dioceses where their bishops have watched one too many episodes of The O'Reilly Factor on FOX News.

This is appalling on the Archdiocese's part. You can bet the Virgin Mary and Mary Madelene would not approve of this. Neither would Jesus Christ. The nuns who taught me in elementary school would be appalled as well. This is not how Catholicism is supposed to work.

And the Heritage Scouts sound about as real as the "thin mints" you buy at the Dollar Store. The real Girl Scouts are the ones with the real thin mint cookies. Accept no immitations.
I was actually happy to see trad Catholics hanging in there. I see no issue with being opposed to the Girl Scouts, which is overwhelmingly worldly and degenerate in nature. However, the Boy Scouts has become the same way. Another Catholic posted about the same story on here and agreed with the decision.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
overwhelmingly worldly

At a time and in a country where Donald Trump is President, I would say that an organization that teaches girls that they have value and can do anything they set their minds to is the opposite of worldly. The Girl Scouts, in that sense, are countercultural in the best sense of the term. They're a light in the darkness, which is also what the Church is supposed to be in emulation of Christ (See the Gospel of Saint John, Chapter 1).

However, though I used the word countercultural, the Girl Scouts are actually a beloved American institution that has met in Catholic parishes for many decades, and in the church buildings of some fairly conservative Protestant churches and denominations, as well as in the Mormon church (Which is also conservative). They do hiking and camping and sell cookies. I'll bet there is even a knitting and sewing badge. This isn't exactly some radical organization. That they are being considered as such by some elements of the religious right now just shows how hard right that the religious right has gotten. What's next, boycotting the American flag because sometimes people like me elect Democratic Presidents and Congresspersons? Maybe they'd like to say something negative about apple pie and Superman while they're at it. I don't understand this mentality. I was almost shanghaied into the Cubs Scouts (The Boy Scouts' organization for kids not old enough to be Boy Scouts) when I was young by my parents and the other Catholic boys and parents at my parish! And it was a conservative parish!

I also see the type of edicts ans pronouncements like the one in the article as part of a pattern of the politization of the Archdicese of Kansas City that has been going on for many years now over multiple bishops. Its kind of weird how much news like this comes out of there relative to the average diocese. Maybe Pope Francis will change things up next time there is a vacancy and send them a moderate or a progressive bishop. The Kansas City diocese had serious issues with sexual abuse of minors as well that continued past the point where a lot of the rest of the church had cleaned up its act. Maybe its something in the water.

That said, I'm sure the area is a nice place with some very nice people. I remember watching on TV when the Orioles used to play away games against the Kansas City Royals at the old Kaufman Stadium when I was growing up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My two youngest daughters are currently in Girl Scouts, Fish. But my husband and I moved them to another group because the group they were attending in a church was teaching our girls things we did not approve of, like forcing them to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We are relatively happy with the secular approach of the new group, and it is not right-winged influenced either.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

I don't know what this alternate "Heritage Scout" thing is, but you can be sure I would be putting my daughter, if I had one, and she was interested scouting, in the *real* Girl Scouts that teaches women how to be strong and independent, and not some conservative knockoff that's opposed to that, even if I had to drive her to a Protestant congregation or the local library or where ever else real Girl Scouts meet in dioceses where their bishops have watched one too many episodes of The O'Reilly Factor on FOX News.

I agree. The Girl Scouts of America welcomes all girls, just like the Boy Scouts of America welcomes all boys (and the BSA Venture Scouts welcomes both girls and boys), to learn and develop team-building skills while having a good time. Unfortunately, denominations and churches have become upset with certain views that they perceive as 'liberal' in the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. What is forgotten in that kind of reactionary position is that, conservative or liberal, we are all called to minister and show hospitality to everyone. The Girl Scouts is not a Catholic organisation or a Baptist organisation. They are made up of members from many many religious backgrounds.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
ADMIN HAT ON

Cleanup was done. First, please stay on topic. Trump is not the topic. Conservatism vs liberalism isn't the topic, except in a theological sense that relates back to the OP. Secondly, this is the Liberal Catholic forum. Guests need to be respectful of that. And members need to remember to show a measure of respect to Catholic Heiararchs, even ones they disagree with.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here's the actual statement from the Archbishop:

Statement Regarding Archdiocesan Transition from Girl Scouts to American Heritage Girls By Archbishop Joseph F Naumann May 1, 2017

After several consultations with the Presbyteral Council and with the recommendation of our Office for Youth Ministry, I have asked the pastors of the Archdiocese to begin the process of transitioning away from the hosting of parish Girl Scout troops and toward the chartering of American Heritage Girls troops.

Pastors were given the choice of making this transition quickly, or to, over the next several years, “graduate” the Scouts currently in the program. Regardless of whether they chose the immediate or phased transition, parishes should be in the process of forming American Heritage Girl troops, at least for their kindergarteners, this fall.

The decision to end our relationship with Girl Scouting was not an easy one. Over a period of many years, our Archdiocesan Youth Ministry staff spent hundreds of hours researching concerns regarding the policies of both the International and the National Girl Scouting organizations. In addition, they have spent hundreds of hours in dialogue with Scouts, parents, pastors, and national Girl Scouting representatives regarding our concerns with disturbing content in materials and resources developed and promulgated by the national organization. I personally have been in conversation with national and local Girl Scout leaders regarding my concerns about the new direction of national Girl Scouting reflected in the content of their program materials.

Eventually it came down to this. Our greatest responsibility as a church is to the children and young people in our care. We have a limited time and number of opportunities to impact the formation of our young people. It is essential that all youth programs at our parishes affirm virtues and values consistent with our Catholic faith.

To follow Jesus and his Gospel will often require us to be counter-cultural. With the promotion by Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) of programs and materials reflective of many of the troubling trends in our secular culture, they are no longer a compatible partner in helping us form young women with the virtues and values of the Gospel.

The national organization, for example, contributes more than a million dollars each year to the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGS), an organization tied to International Planned Parenthood and its advocacy for legislation that includes both contraception and abortion as preventive health care for women.

Margaret Sanger, Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem are frequently held up in materials as role models for young Scouts. These as well as many other “role models” in the GSUSA’s new manuals and web content not only do not reflect our Catholic worldview but stand in stark opposition to what we believe.

While I am grateful that offensive and completely age-inappropriate material was recently removed by GSUSA from portions of their Journey series of manuals in response to concerns raised by the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas and others, it is disturbing such an intervention on our part was necessary. We prefer to partner with youth organizations that share our values and vision for youth ministry, not ones that we have to monitor constantly to protect our children from being misled and misinformed.

American Heritage Girls, a program based on Christian values, we believe is a much better fit for our parishes. I encourage you to read more about the American Heritage Girl program by going to its website, www.americanheritagegirls.org. For more information about the history of and issues surrounding our Girl Scouting decision, go to www.archkck.org/scouting-home.

On a final note, I want to express my appreciation for the many extraordinary Girl Scout leaders of the archdiocese who have served so many so well. We look forward to having as many of them as are willing join us in leadership roles as we take this new step into the formation of our girls. I will always be grateful for their exceptional service.

https://www.archkck.org/document.doc?id=7629

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We let our daughter be in GS because the local council does not contribute to Planned Parenthood. The same cannot be said of every council. If a council is doing that and more involved with the WAGs end younger then Catholic churches should not be hosting sites and sponsors. And the bishop has every right and in fact an obligation to be on top of that.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,808.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My daughter was a girl scout for about nine years in three different states, and I never found anything morally objectionable about any of their programs. One of her troops was a Catholic school troop. The other two were ecumenical.

In our current state in particular the Council was very active, had a great campground, and even took girls on international trips to a scout festival in West Sussex, England.

To me, if the national organization donates to Planned Parenthood that is very, very far removed from what happens on the troop and council level. If you don't want your money to go there, don't sell the cookies.

It's sort of like investments. There are socially responsible investments. In terms of individual stocks, I wouldn't want to invest in companies that were environmental polluters or manufacturers of weapons of wide destruction. Or firms who made their money buying companies and selling them in pieces, laying off thousands of people in the process

But if such a company was in a mutual fund in our IRA's, I really wouldn't know...

You know, Jesus said, "You are the light of the world. You are the salt of the earth..." He never said, "Raise your children in a bubble where they only interact with sheltered little girls and boys whose families all think and act according to exactly the same moral code."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have cherished memories of being a Girl Scout, and am proud my youngest sister currently is one. The useful skills I was taught bolstered my self-sufficiency capabilities and resourcefulness and are utilized often to this day. Of equal importance were the interpersonal and social skills it taught me about how to be a good friend and classmate, how to work cooperatively with others to achieve a goal or bring a project to fruition, how to behave with diplomacy and manners but not timidity, how to stand with courage and race forward in purposefulness without trampling upon others. Being a Girl Scout helped to cultivate my curiosity about the world and confidence and willingness to interact with it. During my time with it I worked on achieving improvements for my community and myself, and made many true friends. The founder, Juliette Gordon Low, said that "scouting rises within you and inspires you to put forth your best." That was certainly true for me, and it's satisfying to see how it is doing the same for my sister.

My heart cheered when I saw this: This Czech Scout Stood Up to Extremists at a Neo-Nazi Rally
girl-scout-nazi.jpg

She's a member of the Scouts and Guides of the Czech Republic, which is a part of World Organization of the Scout Movement (that also includes the Girl Scouts of the USA); it's the largest voluntary movement dedicated to girls and young women in the world. She has an opportunity that many boys and girls of past generations in her area were deprived of, because Scouting was twice banned in Czechoslovakia. Nevertheless, Scouts persisted. Communism did not eradicate them; they continued to build and found new groups while in exile, and eventually Scouting was restored. American Scouts should also persevere.

Edit to add: A friend and I were just talking about this -
Research - Girl Scouts
And it made me smile. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many conservative protestant denominations cut off ties with the Girl Scouts back in the late 1980s and early 90s due to their support for abortion "rights."

Upvote 0