Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
George Gillespie:

Heresy is neither to be so far taken at large, as to be extended to every error, which may be confuted by Scripture, although happily such an error be too tenaciously maintained. Nor yet is it to be so far restricted, as that no error shall be accounted Heretical, but that which is destructive to some fundamental Article of the Christian faith, if by a fundamental Article, you understand such a truth without the knowledge and faith whereof, ‘tis impossible to get salvation. When Peter Martyr defines Heresy, he makes no mention of a fundamental error, but of an error contrary to the Scriptures, loc: com. class: 2. cap: 4. § 50. So Calvin: Instit: lib: 4. cap: 2. § 5. understands all such to be Heretics, as make a breach in the Church by false Doctrines. Walaeus, tom: 1. pag: 57. saith, Heretical Churches do either err in the foundation, or only in some other things built upon the foundation.

When Peter speaks of such Heresies, as take away the very foundation, Jesus Christ, he thinks it too little to call them simple Heresies, but he calls these damnable Heresies. But if you understand by fundamental truths, all the chief and substantial principles (I do not mean only the first Rudiments, or A, B, C, of a Catechism, which we first of all put to new beginners, but I mean all such truths as are commonly put in the confessions of faith, and in the more full and large Catechisms of the reformed Churches, or all such truths, as all and every one who live in a true Christian reformed Church, are commanded, and required to learn and know, as they expect in the ordinary dispensation of God to be saved,) in this sense, I may yield that Heresy is always contrary to some fundamental truth.

‘Tis one thing to dispute of the absolute sovereign power of God, and what are the truths, without the belief whereof ‘tis absolutely, and altogether impossible that one can be saved: Which question (I doubt) is hardly determinable by Scripture, nor do I know what edification there is in the canvassing of it: sure I am ‘tis a question much abused. ‘Tis another thing to dispute what are these truths, which in a Church where the Gospel is truly preached, all and every one, (come to years of knowledge and discretion) and having means and occasions to learn, are bound to know, (and according to the revealed will and ordinary dispensation of God) must learn, as they desire or expect to have a true fellowship with Christ in the Sacrament of the Lords supper, or to be accepted of God, and saved eternally.xiii, A Treatise of Miscellany Questions