Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I have an external hard drive. On it are two folders. When I add the sizes of them, I get X gigabytes. Then when I right click the drive and hit properties, the used space says X+2.7 gigabytes. There's 2.7 gigs of unknown data on there. What's that all about? How do I find out what it is and if I can eliminate it? It's a 30gig hard drive.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Files you've sent to the Recycle Bin (or Trashcan) but haven't cleared can do that very easily. It could also be an issue with your restore points - the drive could be set to have a certain percentage set aside for such things and it's filled that reserved space, fully or partially. Seeing as it's an external drive, I don't think that would be necessary at all, and you could turn it off.

But my first course of action would be to check the Recycle Bin.

Upvote 0

wguimb

Loving Jesus
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, Texas USA
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It could be a system page file as well. Try to delete the folders and see if it tells you they are in use. If they delete ok, then problem solved. Otherwise, open Control Panel --> System --> Advanced Tab --> Performance Settings Tab and then check the Virtual Memory settings to see if that external drive is in the list.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Probably not a recycle bin problem. that's on my main hard drive. this is just an external that I hook up iwth a usb only when I want to back up my music or data.
The Recycle Bin stores the items sent to it on the same drive they were on - I have a couple of externals, and if I go down to say, 13 gigs, I might delete 20 gigs' worth of files. Some of those might be automatically cleared because I have the Recycle Bin's storage set at like, 1 percent, but it won't get the data off and if I want the whole 33 gigs I would've had I still need to clear it out.

In other words, if you've deleted stuff from the external, then it might cause that, and wouldn't appear in the Recycle Bin unless the external is running. If you have Windows set to display system files (not just hidden files), then take a look in the RECYCLER folder and see if the files there have the space you're missing. Emptying the Recycle Bin normally should clear them out, but sometimes they can put up fits and refuse, or even store data that doesn't appear in the Recycle Bin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums