• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraB

He's still working on me
Jan 18, 2007
USA
✟8,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have read that bi-polar people are often gifted creatively in different ways. What gifts have you been blessed with along with this illness?
Kingskid:)
Don't forget to add yours. ;)

I wouldn't say I am gifted (see my bio, lol) but I do enjoy taking pictures, drawing, painting, writing poetry/songs....stuff like that.

Part of my therapy was for me to do drawings and painting for my doc to interpret.

Reactions: GaelSong
Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read that bi-polar people are often gifted creatively in different ways. What gifts have you been blessed with along with this illness?
Dear Xxkingskidxx

I would say the ability to
" FOCUS ".

REMEMBER:

“ Believe “ in Greek is a verb and has three components which are: hearing, accepting, and then acting ( COMMITING ) upon that which you have accepted.

X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O
( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Great Question!

I'm an artist favouring drawing: graphite and charcoal, ink designs, graphic design and crafts. I also write poetry and stories and I love scrapbooking. I''m also a very literary person: I enjoy reading and writing analyses of the pieces hence the reason I study Literature at college.

My pdoc introduced me to 2 books by Kay Redfield Jamison called "The Unquiet mind"and "Touched with Fire:Manic Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament" which deals with the link between mania and creativity. He has one other patient that I know of who is also an artist and he tends to give artists a wide berth as he put it. He is much more sensitive to those needs.

I expressed to him so many times the "fire" that went missing when I was on Lithium and my creativity seemed to dampen. He explained that that was normal and that I should still try to express myself even though I didn't feel the frenzy that came with mania and extreme creativity.

This is what he said:
> Dear Brianna, I wouldbevery happy if you wrote about mental illness in the Caribbean evenbetter, about the bridge between creativity and mental illness, we haveseveral examples here in Trinidad which we could discuss. The majorissue about the frenzy is the control, can one have it and remainincontrol, because even for artists, there needs to be the discipline toexpress their inspiration in a way that does justice to the muse. Younever passed for the prescription and I have some more Paxil. See yousoon, _______>

Dear Dr. _______,>> How are you? I’m good. Socializing these days; I’m actually talking to> people. I just finished my poetry exam…it wasn’t bad at all. I find it> easier to talk about stuff. A girl (a fellow artist and writer) and I were> musing today about why it is that artists always seem crazy. She stopped> taking her Prozac after a year of being on it; she’s really weird but> extremely intelligent and very talented. We’re alike (not that I’m> weird…smile) I commented that if I could find a way to do my thesis on> mental illness in the Caribbean I would because it’s one of my pet> subjects; she found the incredibly funny. I would though. Her minor is art> and she says it takes up a lot of her time. It really is a fine line> between genius and madness, creativity and mania, isn’t it? That’s sad> though. I get why she stopped taking> her meds. I know how she feels. I miss that…fire I used to feel before.> It’s a burn that never stops; I can go for days, rambling, drawing, and> musing. I miss that at times: musing. I feel normal now…which isn’t bad> but I miss the frenzy sometimes.

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thankyou for all the replies. I thought it was an interesting question too. I have just read Patty Duke's "A brilliant madness" which is about her battle with bi-polar disorder and found out some very famous people were bi-polar. For example Spike Milligan, a few famous composers of classical music, even Abe Lincoln had it I heard. These people seem to have done their most creative work during mania and some even controlled and channeled their mania so I understand what you are saying youthwalk.

I have never dispaired over this illness and do see it as a gift. It enables me to actually walk with others who have a mental illness and sometimes we actually laugh at ourselves and some of the crazy things we do when really unwell.

I don't really have any gifts other than a love for writing. I would say hospitality would be the greatest gift.

Keep those replies coming, as I love to hear how God blesses people!
Kingskid :)

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

willmrcd1

Aug 17, 2006
Brooklyn
Visit site
✟7,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a great question! Well I love writing poetry and just became a published author for writing "A Touch of Peace", a book of poems about bipolar/autism and how God has helped through the ups and downs.

I love taking pictures and creating stuff from junk. Since I am a special education teacher I have the opportunity of using my creativity with middle school students who are so open-minded.

I also love writing short-stories for children.

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What a great question! Well I love writing poetry and just became a published author for writing "A Touch of Peace", a book of poems about bipolar/autism and how God has helped through the ups and downs.

I love taking pictures and creating stuff from junk. Since I am a special education teacher I have the opportunity of using my creativity with middle school students who are so open-minded.

I also love writing short-stories for children.

Wow, it's at Amazon with good reviews.

WOW, I will definitely be checking into it!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have pages of poetry and I wrote a book - didn't get published - but I wrote it nonetheless.

Gerry

Reactions: GaelSong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use to write, I'd go to a park, or near any body of water and pour my heart out on paper, the simple things in life inspired me its been a long time since I have felt centered enough to explore in this area. hopefully someday I will get that back

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

SaraB

He's still working on me
Jan 18, 2007
USA
✟8,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lemonflavor

Feb 21, 2006
✟16,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I did this right. ;) I posted this under the forum suggestion.

http://www.christianforums.com/t467...ntal-health-bipolar-section.html#post31195953

If I stepped on toes or something, let me know. ;)

Sara

I can't believe you did that! Just kidding. Thanks for doing that. Very appropriate for this forum.

Your poem was very good. I could really identify with it, and I wish I didn't. Very expressive.

Angelkiss is also a good poet, some can be seen on her blog. Goldenviolet who used to be here also wrote poetry. And I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Upvote 0

SaraB

He's still working on me
Jan 18, 2007
USA
✟8,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Cool I have another community I post in that has a thriving bipolar poetry section. Would be nice for some of us to ahve that outlet to share with each other here.

Wait couldn't we just start a thread here in bipolar?
The thing about the thread idea is I am afraid someone's hard work wouldn't get the recognition it deserves. That is might get overlooked.

With a separate place to post individual threads, it would make it easier to receive comments on your work. :)

Sara

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.