Gifts of the Spirit

Concerning the gifts of the Spirit...

• I'm a cessationalist (gifts were only for the time of the Acts of the apostles)

• Yes, all the gifts are in operation today

• Yes, limitedly: only some of the gifts

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If not a demon, then what do you think it was?
I am not sure if I have ever seen a demon. Logically, since they exist I probably have. In my case, one in particular I'm thinking about I would call an evil man.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's the word! Obviously has totally different connotations to those to whom we gave our language. :D

We would probably say 'in an instant' or 'in a puff of smoke' or 'the blink of an eye' - never 'in a poof' :D

Go back and look at the original statement. I did NOT say "in a poof." I said, and then, poof, nothing. The magician threw something, and poof, smoke appeared and he was in the back of the audience coming through the doors to the auditorium - that kind of "poof." I can't believe I'm the only person who has ever used that word like that! I've used that word for almost 60 years! Sheesh! :confused:

Reactions: Avodat
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have visited different kinds of churches and Messianic synagogues, as well as Judaism synagogues. Probably the freest service is the Old style Orthodox. The men say their prayers, independently, and then might go outside and visit. For the Torah portion, and homily, everyone goes back in. If you want to go thru the prayers in a group, the cantor will lead the prayers, but you don't have to say them with the cantor.

I have visited Charismatic churches. You start with singing. Usually some fast songs, and then some slower songs during which a pause occurs while people pray in tongues and they wait for a prophesy. Then it stops, and another song. The announcements. And another song. then sermon.

Other churches have a program for the service. And others are liturgical.

Messianic services might start with the candle lighting if Friday. Then songs, and then the siddur.

I am pretty sure that God has figured out how to get done what He wants to get done in any order of service.

But, the truth is, I have seen more of God moving, outside of the service. Most of what God does, falls into signs and wonders, which is more for the lost then the saved, so it makes sense to me that more 'miracles' occur in a place which is visible to those who are not yet saved.

The shul I'm used to believes the opposite from most mainstream churches - worship leads to praise. So our services begin with liturgical prayer to personal prayer. It is a full prayer service, lasting anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes. During this time we do sing a little bit - the Sh'ma, V'Ahavta, Oseh Shalom, Ma Tovu and maybe Romemu and Kadosh L'Cha but that's about all the singing involved in the prayer service. Then we have a short break where we greet one another and then we settle down for a teaching, again lasting about 60-75 minutes. Then table fellowship. Sometimes afterwards we will have song and dance but not always.
I really love the way it's ordered. It's very balanced and a very serious worshipful time - one that is extremely fulfilling and edifying, building up the spirit for another week.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
At the time I didn't think of what I saw/felt as a demon. But I did feel evil.

I had such an experience that has never left me. Back many, many years ago while I was still in my early 20s and was still the all American hippie. I had turned my life over to God and it had only been just a few weeks into that whole scene (I didn't even have a bible!) when I went to visit the guy I had been "dating." When I walked into the room he was renting it was like some kind of evil fog was in the room, you could almost feel the heaviness of it. Whatever it was it was emanating from him and even from the cat that was curled up on his bed.
I had gone there with a girl friend and even she could feel "it," whatever "it" was. We stayed long enough to say hello and goodbye.
I've never forgotten how that visit to an old friend seemed to turn into a visit with evil personified. I never want to experience something like that again. It was awful, left us both feeling so helpless. We didn't know at the time that we might could have done something about it, we were just too young as believers. In another way, though, I'm glad we didn't try to do anything.

P.S.
I forgot to mention that the guy had no idea that we were "saved, born again christians" but he said something that really scared us. He said, and I quote, ver batim, "I know whose you are." That's actually all he said to us. So we simply said we'd just stopped by to see how he was getting on and we then quickly left. The oppression was so thick, like London's pea-soup fog.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am not sure if I have ever seen a demon. Logically, since they exist I probably have. In my case, one in particular I'm thinking about I would call an evil man.

I've only seen one once - a sort of amorphous, floating grey mass. It was in a building that had been used for ouija sessions. Three of us were there to 'cleanse' it. We had a very real presence of G_d and that of demons, too. It took several hours to do the job.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Little Dove

Little Dove
Dec 15, 2011
Nowheresville
✟17,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
P.S.
I forgot to mention that the guy had no idea that we were "saved, born again christians" but he said something that really scared us. He said, and I quote, ver batim, "I know whose you are." That's actually all he said to us. So we simply said we'd just stopped by to see how he was getting on and we then quickly left. The oppression was so thick, like London's pea-soup fog.

yedida reading your post, reminded me of something.
Last spring we needed some help spreading some gravel in our driveway & so I went to a home to see if they could help. Well the wife was home & came out.
I was told, that her husband wasn't home. I noticed the woman had backed into the far corner of her porch & wasn't acting to friendly. :confused:
We knew her husband, but I didn't remember meeting her. Well I started telling her where we lived & who I was. That's when she said, I Know Who you are!
I was thinking, now where in the world did that come from. I knew that was a demon who was speaking to me.
We finished shoveling the gravel ourselves.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
I've only seen one once - a sort of amorphous, floating grey mass. It was in a building that had been used for ouija sessions. Three of us were there to 'cleanse' it. We had a very real presence of G_d and that of demons, too. It took several hours to do the job.
Yep, a wisp of smoke that could change its direction and go through walls.

Upvote 0

Avodat

Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yep, a wisp of smoke that could change its direction and go through walls.

It was more a rather nebulous thick grey something, about yard or so, long, and some eighteen inches from top to bottom at its widest point. No idea what its depth was - working that out would be too close for comfort. It just floats/hovers in mid-air - and can disappear without doors being opened or shut! Menacing in appearance!

I guess they have variety in how they manifest themselves - how ever they appear it is scary!

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It was more a rather nebulous thick grey something, about yard or so, long, and some eighteen inches from top to bottom at its widest point. No idea what its depth was - working that out would be too close for comfort. It just floats/hovers in mid-air - and can disappear without doors being opened or shut! Menacing in appearance!

I guess they have variety in how they manifest themselves - how ever they appear it is scary!
mine could accumulate to be about the size you mentioned... but while travelling acted like a swarm and was see through wispy.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's been a while but I went through a period where I would see these dark, grayish colored things zipping by. I could not see them directly but saw them out of the corner of my eye. I believe they were some kind of demon or demons looking for trouble.

This may sound weird for a Baptist but I am a pentecostal Baptist who believes all of the gifts are alive, well and in use today as they were long ago.

I was taught a casting out prayer by one of my mentors that I still use if I feel the presence of evil in the area. Praise God it always has worked and replaced the various feelings of fear with peace that only the Lord can provide.

I also pray for supernatural protection if the situaltion seems to warrant it even asking God to send Angels to help protect me if it be His will.

Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It's been a while but I went through a period where I would see these dark, grayish colored things zipping by. I could not see them directly but saw them out of the corner of my eye. I believe they were some kind of demon or demons looking for trouble.

This may sound weird for a Baptist but I am a pentecostal Baptist who believes all of the gifts are alive, well and in use today as they were long ago.

I was taught a casting out prayer by one of my mentors that I still use if I feel the presence of evil in the area. Praise God it always has worked and replaced the various feelings of fear with peace that only the Lord can provide.

I also pray for supernatural protection if the situaltion seems to warrant it even asking God to send Angels to help protect me if it be His will.

Shalom
very wise :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Little Dove

Little Dove
Dec 15, 2011
Nowheresville
✟17,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Shalom

I did notice that you where a Baptist. You are a first for me, that I know really believes & will speak about demons.
Praise the Lord for you!:clap:
I have always wanted to know, if there was something, I could pray in my spirit, when I am confronted with a demon ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I stupidly got myself into A LOT of trouble by praying in an unwise manner in 1990. I went through a decade at being angry with G-d once I ran into the negative near death experience accounts and was forced to rethink the "soul sleep" idea that I had been taught regarding the state of the dead.

In August of 2000 I sent an e-mail to Maria in Ecuador and somehow G-d told her to fast and pray for me for 35 days!!! For four weeks for three days/week she only drank fruit juices. Then for seven days in a row she drank only fruit juices, no solid food and Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua woke her up most mornings and told her to pray for me. Sometimes she fell asleep and he woke her up again and told her to pray for me.

I was 5000 miles away experiencing the most astonishing levels of peace/Shalom that I had ever been given in my life!

I knew essentially NOTHING about these types of spiritual gifts until my zealous Pentecostal wife showed me. For the record she is still rather uninterested in the Jewish Sabbaths, eating habits and thoughts...but I don't complain because she is guided in ways that I can hardly imagine. Also I am still confused on exactly how to observe the Sabbath in many ways so I don't set her a great example for her to go by either....so much of her disinterest is actually my fault!

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I stupidly got myself into A LOT of trouble by praying in an unwise manner in 1990. I went through a decade at being angry with G-d once I ran into the negative near death experience accounts and was forced to rethink the "soul sleep" idea that I had been taught regarding the state of the dead.

In August of 2000 I sent an e-mail to Maria in Ecuador and somehow G-d told her to fast and pray for me for 35 days!!! For four weeks for three days/week she only drank fruit juices. Then for seven days in a row she drank only fruit juices, no solid food and Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua woke her up most mornings and told her to pray for me. Sometimes she fell asleep and he woke her up again and told her to pray for me.

I was 5000 miles away experiencing the most astonishing levels of peace/Shalom that I had ever been given in my life!

I knew essentially NOTHING about these types of spiritual gifts until my zealous Pentecostal wife showed me. For the record she is still rather uninterested in the Jewish Sabbaths, eating habits and thoughts...but I don't complain because she is guided in ways that I can hardly imagine. Also I am still confused on exactly how to observe the Sabbath in many ways so I don't set her a great example for her to go by either....so much of her disinterest is actually my fault!

People can fill their heads with so much junk that there is no room left when the truth comes to find a place to land. Pre-suppositions take up a lot of mental energy. And it seems to defeat the purpose to be so invested in death that there is little room for living.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
People can fill their heads with so much junk that there is no room left when the truth comes to find a place to land. Pre-suppositions take up a lot of mental energy. And it seems to defeat the purpose to be so invested in death that there is little room for living.

True, but Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua warned people about some sort of higher dimensional Auschwitz type of environment more than any other author of scripture!

Matthew 13:50
And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 18:8
Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [them] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [it] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

At the most fundamental level everything is composed apparently of Super Strings and Super Waves and/or Super Energetic Matter.

Isaiah 66:24
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

A Dr. Michael Yeager had a vision where he saw a lake of fire with worms in it that came to him and went all through him.....He was also shown that selfishness was the gateway to hell.....I have wondered after reading what he was shown if his consciousness had been shrank down and down and down until he beheld fundamental energy in its two forms?!?!?!

Since his vision Dr. Yeager has been travelling and preaching as best as he can in order to attempt to warn people?!

I don't feel comfortable at all with this angle on the gospel....I don't like the way that Pastor Ray Comfort and Pastor Kirk Cameron are going at things but....they may be performing a function that is far more valuable than I have ever began to realize?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
True, but Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua warned people about some sort of higher dimensional Auschwitz type of environment more than any other author of scripture!

At the most fundamental level everything is composed apparently of Super Strings and Super Waves and/or Super Energetic Matter.

A Dr. Michael Yeager had a vision where he saw a lake of fire with worms in it that came to him and went all through him.....He was also shown that selfishness was the gateway to hell.....I have wondered after reading what he was shown if his consciousness had been shrank down and down and down until he beheld fundamental energy in its two forms?!?!?!

Since his vision Dr. Yeager has been travelling and preaching as best as he can in order to attempt to warn people?!

I don't feel comfortable at all with this angle on the gospel....I don't like the way that Pastor Ray Comfort and Pastor Kirk Cameron are going at things but....they may be performing a function that is far more valuable than I have ever began to realize?!

I don't know who these people are that you keep mentioning. I don't follow christian teachers at all.
A Kirk Cameron I know, he's christian science, not christian at all.
Oh, and Yeshua didn't author anything in the bible....

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I find it limited to just follow 'messianic' teachers because God gives truth to people outside the realm of our small 'denomination'. Of course it takes discernment no matter who it is, but God does give revelation and anointing to people outside the messianic realm.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I find it limited to just follow 'messianic' teachers because God gives truth to people outside the realm of our small 'denomination'. Of course it takes discernment no matter who it is, but God does give revelation and anointing to people outside the messianic realm.

:wave:Never said He doesn't give insight to others, just too much muck and mire to meddle through for my liking. I'll stick to those who are more attuned to what Yeshua was trying to teach his people from the Torah. That way I can get the very same truths plus some. ;)

Upvote 0

Avodat

Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Is that the Dr Yeager, MD., who was a drug addict or the one who, amazingly, gained two higher Doctorates by the time he was 23?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it's interesting what you noted in light of how many within the Messianic Movement have been teachers themselves and yet don't advocate for others to only stay within the Messianic movement in what's taught...or think that the MJish movement is where certain things alone are taught. No one needs to ever be in a spiritual or intellectual ghetto where they isolate themselves and cut themselves off from the rest of the Body....

Upvote 0