Illinois
✟176,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From my observation and study. Gifts can be granted by the discretion of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes we may ask for a gift. Some people will not get a gift until years pass.

If God can't trust you with the gift, he will most likely not give it to you or if you use the gift for yourself.

From observation. Gifts are usually present by people who evangelize and spread the gospel. Some amazing miracles have happened. A baseball meeting where they were going to spread the Gospel to help save someone but it was raining. They prayed for a miracle to stop the rain and the clouds disappeared on the baseball field forming a circle so there was no rain. They did healings and such as proof and to help disbelievers.

People who use the gifts to further the kingdom of God, are most likely to have the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I know a lot of preachers go through a lot of trouble when preaching to the Public. I had a conversation with one, and no matter how much they are mocked and attacked God fuels them with the strength to continue on their mission.

I haven't met someone who has more than one Gift, but may be all possible.

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From my observation and study. Gifts can be granted by the discretion of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes we may ask for a gift. Some people will not get a gift until years pass.

If God can't trust you with the gift, he will most likely not give it to you or if you use the gift for yourself.

From observation. Gifts are usually present by people who evangelize and spread the gospel. Some amazing miracles have happened. A baseball meeting where they were going to spread the Gospel to help save someone but it was raining. They prayed for a miracle to stop the rain and the clouds disappeared on the baseball field forming a circle so there was no rain. They did healings and such as proof and to help disbelievers.

People who use the gifts to further the kingdom of God, are most likely to have the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I know a lot of preachers go through a lot of trouble when preaching to the Public. I had a conversation with one, and no matter how much they are mocked and attacked God fuels them with the strength to continue on their mission.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that God only gives gifts to those He can trust. Sometimes He appears to give gifts to those who won't even be saved, because their personalities will get the message out to the most? A Scripture I would cite, for example, is Matthew 7:21-27.

In experience, I would compare two Todd's.

One Todd lives a life that honors God. When God told him to get on a plane to leave, even though his wife was going into the hospital with something that was considered life-threatening, he did. He leads others into a deeper relationship with God and into being used by God for the sake of others. That Todd's wife actually fought him using the gifts God gave him for the longest time. He continued to faithfully follow God and God eventually brought his wife to see the Truth. That Todd is still married with 4 or 5 kids now and travels the world preaching Jesus and watching God do amazing things.

Another Todd led a revival that positively affected many in coming to Jesus and yet that Todd ordered the Holy Spirit to come back when someone wasn't completely healed (clearly declaring that he didn't understand who was God and who was not) and then was caught and exposed for adultery to which he didn't offer the typical weak human response, instead he replied when questioned: "God wouldn't want me to be unhappy."

Both clearly had gifts from the Holy Spirit. They both preached Jesus. One was overtaken by pride and it became, if it wasn't always, about Him.

Another example to consider might be Charles Templeton and Billy Graham. I think Billy Graham would have agreed that there was a time that Charles Templeton was serving God and believed in God wholeheartedly. Something gave him the opportunity to depart from the faith and he took the bait; but, don't think for a moment that people didn't come to Christ through Charles Templeton before he departed from the faith.

I am sure these aren't the only two examples that we could set side by side for comparison. I'm sure there are many more--especially where people are actively involved with the gifts of the Holy Spirit, not hiding them or claiming they don't exist.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The supernatural gifts provide the substantive evidence that Jesus is really alive today. These gifts are vital for the person who is called to evangelism. Without the signs and wonders, all an evangelist can do is use words. But words alone did not turn the pagan Roman Empire upside down. It was the miracles, healing, signs and wonders that demonstrated to the pagans that Jesus Christ was alive and was stronger than their pagan gods. It took on occasion, just one healing of a crippled man to turn whole communities to Christ.

Evangelists who use just words to try and persuade folks with the Gospel have a very hard, uphill battle with our neo-pagans. Their attitude to a word-based evangelism is "you have your opinion and I have mine." They don't believe the Bible, so quoting Scripture would have effect on them at all. Paul could have quoted Old Testament Scripture to the pagans until the cows came home and it would have had absolutely no effect on them; but raising people from the lead and healing guys crippled from birth arrested their attention and then they listened to the teaching.

Things are no different today. We need the same demonstration of power. Our western society is even more hardened than those pagans in the First Century because they believed in the supernatural and so they just knew when the supernatural gifts of the Spirit manifested they knew that the supernatural living Jesus was real and they turned to Him in droves.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you have some good general ideas but I will give you a couple of things to think about. Concerning just one gift, I think you can expand that. This is based not just on experience but
1 Corinthians 12:11 (KJV) 11 But all these (GIFTS) worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
This scripture is out of context but I have heard it applied in this way concerning all the gifts of God. Namely that God gives gifts without repentance. This might explain why some unbelievers can operate in the demonic realm better than others, they are perverting their gifts. It also may explain why some carnal Christians still may have a gift operating in them,. Still, you are right that that those furthering the kingdom the most may also have a more abundance of the operation of their gifts.
Romans 11:29 (KJV) 29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think you have some good general ideas but I will give you a couple of things to think about. Concerning just one gift, I think you can expand that. This is based not just on experience but
1 Corinthians 12:11 (KJV) 11 But all these (GIFTS) worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
This scripture is out of context but I have heard it applied in this way concerning all the gifts of God. Namely that God gives gifts without repentance. This might explain why some unbelievers can operate in the demonic realm better than others, they are perverting their gifts. It also may explain why some carnal Christians still may have a gift operating in them,. Still, you are right that that those furthering the kingdom the most may also have a more abundance of the operation of their gifts.
Romans 11:29 (KJV) 29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
I think that there is a bit of a comprehension issue here.

The sense of the verse is that when God bestows a gift on a believer, He never changes His mind and withdraws it. It is talking about God not repenting (changing His mind) about giving the gift.

I think that it would be quite a stretch of the verse to imply that God bestows Spiritual gifts on unrepentant people. Repentance is a one-time act as part of conversion to Christ, From then on according to 1 John 1:9 staying right with God involves confession of sin.

Repentance is a comprehensive change of mind and intention concerning Christ. It involves a general turning away from the lusts of the flesh and moving in the direction of sanctification. An unrepentant person is an unbeliever whose spirit is still dead. Repentance causes the new birth, and the person starts living in the Spirit. It is only a person alive in the Spirit who can receive the genuine gifts of the Spirit.

It is quite true that unrepentant (unsaved) folk can use what seems like the gifts, but they are false, like pagan tongues, psychic phenomena (false words of knowledge), horoscopes (false prophecy), living by the Law (false holiness), "faith in faith" (false faith).

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I don't know what circles you move in, but most of the spirit filled Christians I know move in a number of gifts.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that there is a bit of a comprehension issue here.

The sense of the verse is that when God bestows a gift on a believer, He never changes His mind and withdraws it. It is talking about God not repenting (changing His mind) about giving the gift.

I think that it would be quite a stretch of the verse to imply that God bestows Spiritual gifts on unrepentant people. Repentance is a one-time act as part of conversion to Christ, From then on according to 1 John 1:9 staying right with God involves confession of sin.

Repentance is a comprehensive change of mind and intention concerning Christ. It involves a general turning away from the lusts of the flesh and moving in the direction of sanctification. An unrepentant person is an unbeliever whose spirit is still dead. Repentance causes the new birth, and the person starts living in the Spirit. It is only a person alive in the Spirit who can receive the genuine gifts of the Spirit.

It is quite true that unrepentant (unsaved) folk can use what seems like the gifts, but they are false, like pagan tongues, psychic phenomena (false words of knowledge), horoscopes (false prophecy), living by the Law (false holiness), "faith in faith" (false faith).

Thanks for your response gifts to my message. I can see some of my error on gifts given to unbelievers. It depends on when the gifts are given. Are they like talents, or are they given only after the infilling of the Holy Spirit? I always had assumed you were born with gifts, and if you chose to serve yourself those gifts might manifest in a negative way. For instance a fortune teller with some accuracy, where is that gift coming from? Does Satan give abilities too or is Satan using the already existing gifts to counterfeit any transaction? If I think you shall receive power when the Holy Ghost is poured out, then is it because the gifts are given after the baptism in the Holy Spirit, or are the gifts already there and now in activation?

As to giving gifts without repentance, here is an excerpt from a Hagin teaching

"Romans 11:29 says, “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” “Without repentance” means that God won’t change His mind about what He has called you to do. If God has called you, that calling is still there, whether or not you have obeyed. And if God gave you a gift—if He gifted you along a certain line—that gift is still there"

Suppose a believer that operates in the gifts, falls into sin. Would the Holy Spirit still use them? The word of God would certainly still work even though it came from an imperfect vessel. The church has seen a number of ministers that were in sin continuing and either their gifts were counterfeit, or God was using them (for others) in spite of themselves. I used to hear some charismatics preach that you may have gifts of the spirit, but that does not necessarily mean you have fruit of the spirit. Hopefully one would have both.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your response gifts to my message. I can see some of my error on gifts given to unbelievers. It depends on when the gifts are given. Are they like talents, or are they given only after the infilling of the Holy Spirit? I always had assumed you were born with gifts, and if you chose to serve yourself those gifts might manifest in a negative way. For instance a fortune teller with some accuracy, where is that gift coming from? Does Satan give abilities too or is Satan using the already existing gifts to counterfeit any transaction? If I think you shall receive power when the Holy Ghost is poured out, then is it because the gifts are given after the baptism in the Holy Spirit, or are the gifts already there and now in activation?

As to giving gifts without repentance, here is an excerpt from a Hagin teaching

"Romans 11:29 says, “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” “Without repentance” means that God won’t change His mind about what He has called you to do. If God has called you, that calling is still there, whether or not you have obeyed. And if God gave you a gift—if He gifted you along a certain line—that gift is still there"

Suppose a believer that operates in the gifts, falls into sin. Would the Holy Spirit still use them? The word of God would certainly still work even though it came from an imperfect vessel. The church has seen a number of ministers that were in sin continuing and either their gifts were counterfeit, or God was using them (for others) in spite of themselves. I used to hear some charismatics preach that you may have gifts of the spirit, but that does not necessarily mean you have fruit of the spirit. Hopefully one would have both.
The gifts and calling are always there once the Holy Spirit has bestowed them. As long as the believer is walking in the Spirit, the gifts are active, according to his faith. That's what Paul said in Romans (about prophesy, but it applies to all the gifts).

When a person is born again, they start living in the Spirit because the Spirit indwells them. Then they have to start walking in the Spirit, and that it conducting one's behaviour according to fruit of the Spirit and not the deeds of the flesh. But there is always a battle because the flesh lusts against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh. But if we are on the upward way and being transformed line by line, precept by precept every day, then we are walking in the Spirit, even if we are not perfect in our walk.

But when we fall into sin, the Holy Spirit in us convicts us that we are stepping out of the light, and usually we will confess the sin (1 John 1:9) and correct our behaviour.

If we refuse, then we are moving into another phase, and that is rejecting the Holy Spirit's conviction, which is the same as rejecting Christ. We don't lose our life in the Spirit, but we are no longer walking in the Spirit, therefore, although the gifts and calling is still there and will not be taken away, they become inactive until we repent of our disobedience, accept the conviction of the Holy Spirit, confess our disobedience and the sin that He first convicted us of - and then we are totally forgiven and cleansed, and the calling and gifts become active again. As we receive the assurance of forgiveness and cleansing, our faith rises again, and away we go in the Spirit!

Falling into sin because of weakness and temptation, which happens to all of us at times, is easily corrected by using 1 John 1:9. We lose our faith momentarily because we feel so bad about our failure in the particular area that seems to trip us up all the time (we all have them). Our loss of faith hinders the manifestation of the gift, unless we receive the assurance of forgiveness and we are able to forgive ourselves as well! Being able to forgive ourselves after God has forgiven us is one of the big hurdles to our faith.

But disobedience is quite another thing, and continued disobedience can lead to outright rebellion, which then leads to backsliding. This is a willful act and goes beyond getting momentarily angry and kicking the cat. This is the attitude, "I will not!!!" One has to ask whether that person is truly born again if that attitude is there. For me, I could never have that attitude toward the Holy Spirit.

One evangelist I read about was reluctant to go and preach in a town that had a bad reputation of "gutting" preachers who went there. God had told him to go there and he held back. In the end, the Holy Spirit said, "Will you or will you not go there???" Because he loved the Lord and knew that not going would have been outright disobedience and the end of his effective ministry, he went, and had a major revival in that place.

Jonah was the same, he went away in outright disobedience, and look what happened to him! He had to be put in the belly of a large fish before he was prepared to repent his actions and obeyed God.

God does not give us up as a bad job very easily, He will go to great lengths to keep us walking in the Spirit, because He loves us and is not willing for us to fail and possibly perish.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The gifts of the Spirit are manifold. A key problem many have is in thinking that the number of gifts are restricted to just the handful the Apostle mentions in 1 Corinthians 12.

If you are looking for everyone to speak in tongues, or to prophesy, or etc then that's kind of missing the point, and St. Paul himself says that's the wrong way of looking at it. Instead he says that there are many gifts and the Spirit has given gifts to all the members of the Body.

The little old lady who spends several hours thanklessly cleaning the bathrooms at your church, doing so cheerfully and joyously--her joy and cheer in doing thankless service is a gift of the Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDaniël

Oct 19, 2018
Kampen
✟18,148.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Private
God bless you John,

And i mean it, you recieve my honest blessings John. Because i feel there is a story behind you that i can recognize myself in. Bless you.

I have a story for you, i FULLY support you on the idea that God's gifts are for those he can trust.
Because i was atheist grown up ROMA with MAGIC, as CULTURE. I denounced that because i was told so, BY THE LORD, and i have been blessed with many supernatural occurances of which i have physical proof off.

Which brings me to the point: WHY WOULD YOU TRUST A SCOFFER?
Why shall you trust a KNOWN SCOFFER?
Isn't paying devotion [to the Lord] like doing sacrifice.

I think that everyone should make a sacrifice to the LORD,
Proving devotion, before being revealed!

That being said, i do believe that the LORD helps those that are not religious too, but NOT WITH THE GIFTS.

I extol the name of the Lord, He alone, and His son, Christ, whom i accept as the Messiah, from the bloodline Jacobs, As was foretold. Blessings to everyone here, regardless of race, AMEN!

Upvote 0