U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe Gift of Tongues has healing properties for other's spiritual and emotional wounds? Specifically thinking about Ephesians 5:19. Sometimes when I sing in tongues it makes other people lean their head back and rest. It may be that they are just enjoying the presence of Holy Spirit but I would hear other thoughts on this.

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
According to the only passage devoted to the gift of tongues (1 Cor. 14), tongues are 1) not able to edify except (maybe) the person speaking in them (vv. 2, 13), 2) useless (even unlawful) without interpretation (vv. 6-19), and 3) a sign for unbelievers, not believers (v. 22).

Unless there is a translator, tongues do not edify, which is the command given us by Paul. "The manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all. Let all things be done for edification" (1 Cor. 12:7, 14:26).

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is just prayer on steroids. It is no more or less powerful than any other prayer. Where it is powerful is it helps us to pray for situations that we in the natural may have no understanding of. If I don't know how to pray for a situation I pray in tongues.

As for the sign of people putting their heads back, it may or may not be of God, they might just be resting. We have to be very careful not to read to much into spiritual experiences, or natural connections to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! admittedly it is the most recent gift I have recieved so I'm fairly new to it. I always test it everything by Gods Word ofc. That's my only guide. I use it with some input from other spiritually gifted brothers and sisters. Super glad for this good word because I tend to read into happenings too much. Humility and Pride seems to be a major factor in the balance of spiritual growth. Thoughts on that?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to the only passage devoted to the gift of tongues (1 Cor. 14), tongues are 1) not able to edify except (maybe) the person speaking in them (vv. 2, 13), 2) useless (even unlawful) without interpretation (vv. 6-19), and 3) a sign for unbelievers, not believers (v. 22).

Unless there is a translator, tongues do not edify, which is the command given us by Paul. "The manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all. Let all things be done for edification" (1 Cor. 12:7, 14:26).

Tongues is just supernatural prayer language. It authorizes into the spiritual realms, everything you pray.

What it does not do, is produce understanding of what happens in the spirit. This is why someone would interpret.

But what was spoken into the spirit still exists. The prayer stands as a prayer to God.

So you can pray for others in tongues, and not know it. I agree about self-edification, but they're not limited to that rigidly. Just in general, yes, that's exactly what it's for... but even if you're edified, we're the body of Christ and it lifts up others.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tongues is just supernatural prayer language. It authorizes into the spiritual realms, everything you pray.

What it does not do, is produce understanding of what happens in the spirit. This is why someone would interpret.

But what was spoken into the spirit still exists. The prayer stands as a prayer to God.

So you can pray for others in tongues, and not know it. I agree about self-edification, but they're not limited to that rigidly. Just in general, yes, that's exactly what it's for... but even if you're edified, we're the body of Christ and it lifts up others.

I think there's too much self-limitation and not enough freedom in what Christ has done for US. Good Word.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture?

Not everything can be understood by what eyes alone can see. We don't see God's physical being but we believe in HIM because we see Him work. Holy Spirit guides our understanding of Scripture which IS GOD. 1 John 1:1 Hebrews 4:12 John 20:29

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That Scripture doesn't talk about speaking in tongues at all.

That is where we limit ourselves in understanding, friend. If it doesn't say the word "tongues" we dismiss it without a thought for all kinds of possibilities. With God ALL things are possible. Matthew 19:26

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is where we limit ourselves in understanding, friend.

No, I am merely reading the Scripture for what it is saying. Now, again, where is Scripture to support this statement:

"Tongues is just supernatural prayer language. It authorizes into the spiritual realms, everything you pray"?

If it doesn't say the word "tongues" we dismiss it without a thought for all kinds of possibilities.

But, it really doesn't say anything about tongues—explicitly, contextually, or conceptually. Scripture doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean, nor does it apply to whatever you feel is applicable.

With God ALL things are possible.

Thus you have given yourself license to do anything Scripture does not say. This is why so many Charismatic groups disregard Scripture almost entirely. I know, I spent 20+ years in a Charismatic church.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is where we limit ourselves in understanding, friend. If it doesn't say the word "tongues" we dismiss it without a thought for all kinds of possibilities. With God ALL things are possible. Matthew 19:26
With that theory, all things are possible...or at least we can say that it provides the user with a sure-fire defense no matter what the religious claim might be. ;)

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I am merely reading the Scripture for what it is saying. Now, again, where is Scripture to support this statement:

"Tongues is just supernatural prayer language. It authorizes into the spiritual realms, everything you pray"?

But, it really doesn't say anything about tongues—explicitly, contextually, or conceptually. Scripture doesn't mean whatever you want it to mean, nor does it apply to whatever you feel is applicable.

Thus you have given yourself license to do anything Scripture does not say. This is why so many Charismatic groups disregard Scripture almost entirely. I know, I spent 20+ years in a Charismatic church.

Christ gave me the license when he adopted me into son-ship. I did not do anything of my own accord. I have an extensive knowledge of all Holy Scripture because the Holy Spirit guides my understanding beyond the countless re-reading of it. The Pharisees were "teachers" of the law, yet knew nothing. They knew every letter of the law and it did nothing for them. Matthew 23:1-36. Here is the Scripture that is demanded.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christ gave me the license when he adopted me into son-ship. I did not do anything of my own accord. I have an extensive knowledge of all Holy Scripture because the Holy Spirit guides my understanding beyond the countless re-reading of it. The Pharisees were "teachers" of the law, yet knew nothing. They knew every letter of the law and it did nothing for them.

So, back to my original question, does anyone actually have any Spirit-inspired Scripture to support the claim made above, as opposed to personal feeling?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, back to my original question, does anyone actually have any Spirit-inspired Scripture to support the claim made above, as opposed to personal feeling?

I left Scripture. If you are content with where you are at this point in your faith I will honor that but I will cut it off from me. It will not be a stumbling block between me and Jesus.

Matthew 5:27-30, 1 Corinthians 12:12-26, 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, Matthew 10:34-36

That is why it is written John 15:18-27 and Hebrews 6:1-12 A call to maturity. Romans 7:1-6 freed us from the LAW long ago when Christ DIED for our sins. Galatians 5:1. No man is teacher but 1 TEACHER in heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I left Scripture.

It's a problem when you think you are beyond Scripture. That is exactly why I left the Charismatic movement, and have never, ever looked back, except with immense sadness and outrage at the contempt with which the movement tends to view the very words of God.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christ gave me the license when he adopted me into son-ship. I did not do anything of my own accord. I have an extensive knowledge of all Holy Scripture because the Holy Spirit guides my understanding beyond the countless re-reading of it. The Pharisees were "teachers" of the law, yet knew nothing. They knew every letter of the law and it did nothing for them. Matthew 23:1-36. Here is the Scripture that is demanded.

Let's try this knowledge of yours against things we know to be true. What does your scripture interpretation knowledge tell you about the age of the earth? Thousands of years, or billions of years?

Based on the congruence of your answer with the evidence, we can make judgements about it.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scripture?

so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. - Isaiah 55:11

"Word" here would not exclude the languages available in tongues. Tongues are words spoken from our spirit, which is exactly the type of word being spoken in Isaiah 55:11 because God is a Spirit, and Isaiah 55:11 only applies to God's word.

So as believers when we speak God's word from our spirit, it goes forth to accomplish that to which it is sent. Understanding of that word, is only required in our spirit... but God gave us the Spirit of Christ which understands all the words spoken, and tongues is always spoken from our spirit with full understanding in our spirit. It's ability to be effectual is not based on our mind.

As an example that was not even tongues, but groaning, I once woke up in the middle of the night groaning from my spirit. I saw my roommate downstairs sleeping, and my spirit ordered a demon to leave him while I was groaning. His life was changed afterward... so just imagine how powerful tongues is for God!!

-------------- More scripture came to mind:

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. - 1 Corinthians 14:2

When we speak to God, we can ask God for things. We can ask God for things, for other people.

Yet you do not have because you do not ask. - James 4:2

If we turn that around, it matches Christ's statement: "Ask and you shall receive." But James is warning against carnal human desires for self-seeking... but if you ask in the spirit, there is no self-seeking for what you ask, and you shall receive!!!

And just as a side note, even let's say if you asked for something for yourself... "Let peace rest in my company, Lord!" Then God answers it, and nearby people are blessed.

The blessings of God overflow and bless others! :D This is another way it would help others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0