Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Even though I only became Christian last year I have been able to sense when things are not right. I can walk into a room/building and sense evil or something not good and my body reacts by shaking, feeling chilly, goosebumps and my eyes water heavily (not crying). I was in my local supermarket one evening. It was quiet and I laid eyes on someone but straight away I felt, literally in my gut, that this person was not good but felt he was biding his time to rob the store. Of course I had no proof but I felt so nervous and uncomfortable so didn't hang around. I didn't know how to react but it wasnt good. I sense when I'm not alone and when I get that feeling I pray for protection. I've had many experiences which I couldnt explain but now wonder if I have the gift of discernment.

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Even though I only became Christian last year I have been able to sense when things are not right. I can walk into a room/building and sense evil or something not good and my body reacts by shaking, feeling chilly, goosebumps and my eyes water heavily (not crying). I was in my local supermarket one evening. It was quiet and I laid eyes on someone but straight away I felt, literally in my gut, that this person was not good but felt he was biding his time to rob the store. Of course I had no proof but I felt so nervous and uncomfortable so didn't hang around. I didn't know how to react but it wasnt good. I sense when I'm not alone and when I get that feeling I pray for protection. I've had many experiences which I couldnt explain but now wonder if I have the gift of discernment.
These feelings have been happening for years now

Reactions: justjared
Upvote 0

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like it could be a Gift of Discernment. Perhaps you can pray about how to use this gift to glorify God or help people.
Until I became Christian I had not heard of the gifts and I will certainly pray more for understanding and how and when to use it. Thankyou

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
The gift of discernment is exercised largely in the realm of ideas and less about how you feel.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It sounds to me more like the pride of a novice.
I didn't feel it was my place to judge. The Lord very well could give gifts to a "novice". Praying, glorifying God and helping others, seems like sound advice for us all.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Can you explain more please?
For example Heb 5:12-14 "For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

Notice he's talking about teachings, doctrines, principles. That's the "food" he's referring to. Advanced concepts concerning both doctrine and Christian living require one to have developed skill in discerning good doctrine from evil doctrine. Or false teachers from those who hold to the truth.

And as you notice in the verse it refers to exercise. Every believer has spiritual gifts. But they often start off untrained and often misapplied. Those who are untrained, immature in applying the gift of discernment often end up making claims about other people that are not particularly useful or accurate. That's one aspect of discernment.

A useful way to develop discernment is to listen or read something or someone and scrutinize the ideas in light of scripture. For those gifted in discernment things seem more intuitively obvious than those without it. But you lose credibility if you try to read too much into ideas or people and end up getting it wrong.

Php 1:9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment.

while love is an attitude, to practice love requires information (knowledge). And such knowledge can be partly gained by intuiting (discerning) the needs of others and the way to meet them.

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I was thinking....how about testing these moments when they come along. For example, I would have left the store, got out into my car and would have waited for this man to leave. If it was apparent that he may have robbed the store, you could have aided in his being caught. If God is giving you a spiritual gift, then He expects you to use it effectively and wisely. :)

Let us know how things go! And by the way, I believe what you're saying. Great job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can have serious spiritual giftings come alive as soon as you are born again. This is especially true if you speak in tongues as that typically will accelerate the gifts and their operations. The problem is one you are expressing, not knowing what they mean or what to do with them.

That you have these spiritual insights consistently does seems to indicate the discernment of spirits. I would look at literature that agrees with your church and see what you can find about their operations. It is good to ask for protection but you do not have to be in fear. Ask God how you can know more, how to possibly test the spirits, how you can be of assistance to the kingdom. You will learn much by trial and sometimes even your errors. I probably would not wait in my car to see if a potential robbery was in progress. Often you might be alerted to just pray but always try not to grieve the Holy Spirit by rejecting what you think he wants.

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I probably would not wait in my car to see if a potential robbery was in progress.
I suppose it depends on ones level of personal weakness and fear. I run towards that stuff (which can be dangerous), so I am a bit different. I agree with you.

Upvote 0

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose it depends on ones level of personal weakness and fear. I run towards that stuff (which can be dangerous), so I am a bit different. I agree with you.
I personally wouldn't deliberately put myself in possible danger so my action was to leave asap without making a fuss

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I personally wouldn't deliberately put myself in possible danger so my action was to leave asap without making a fuss
I respect that. I'm single and with no children, so it's easier for me to make these choices. You're right.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cheryl6397
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi sister, "new in Christ only a year"..No one has mentioned that you said that you have been "having these experiences for years now" even though you were not a Christian.
To me this is NOT a gift of the Holy Spirit.
The gifts of the Spirit are not given to unbelievers...they are still unregenerated in their spirit. You had this ability before you were regenerated or born again....therefore it is not a gift of the Spirit...more likely something else.

Have you ever been involved in ANY occult practices?
Tarot, seance, weegie boards, palm reading, etc etc.....All these things open doors in our soul and false gifts can be the result.
All those occult things are not of God's Spirit. When we come to Jesus all those things need to be renounced seriously in prayer. As well as any paraphenalia attached to those kinds of activities---needs to be gotten rid of.
God will show you if you are willing to lay the "gift" down whether it is from Him or not.

Upvote 0

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi sister, "new in Christ only a year"..No one has mentioned that you said that you have been "having these experiences for years now" even though you were not a Christian.
To me this is NOT a gift of the Holy Spirit.
The gifts of the Spirit are not given to unbelievers...they are still unregenerated in their spirit. You had this ability before you were regenerated or born again....therefore it is not a gift of the Spirit...more likely something else.

Have you ever been involved in ANY occult practices?
Tarot, seance, weegie boards, palm reading, etc etc.....All these things open doors in our soul and false gifts can be the result.
All those occult things are not of God's Spirit. When we come to Jesus all those things need to be renounced seriously in prayer. As well as any paraphenalia attached to those kinds of activities---needs to be gotten rid of.
God will show you if you are willing to lay the "gift" down whether it is from Him or not.
Hi. I was only baptised last year but I was catholic for 54 years and have always believed and loved God. I have had no real dealings with the occult etc and for the unintentional dealings I have asked for and received forgiveness. I came away from catholicism because Jesus is the One to follow. I fully understand your reasoning and I thankyou for bringing it up. Jesus Christ is my Saviour and daily I pray for His continued love

Reactions: WESTOZZIE
Upvote 0

Cheryl6397

Mar 9, 2018
Birmingham
✟33,306.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
now you have stirred the pot....wasn't being baptised as a Catholic good enough? Don't answer unless you want to start a war. :sigh:
I was 6 weeks old when i was christened so had no say. I chose to be baptised last year and there was no hesitation in doing so. Theres somethings I dont feel comfortable with in the catholic church and they are my own private reasons.

Upvote 0