Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do some people report ghosts? What's the Orthodox meaning of this?

Demons seem to like to take on the identity of people. I believe that they are impersonating real humans. Often it is expressed in horrific acts that they are likely behind. Ultimately it is an evil ruse that confuses individuals about the afterlife.

EDIT: This is MY theory, not an Orthodox teaching that I've found

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

For some, probably because they have an unhealthy interest in the supernatural world, looking for signs and wonders, being distracted from the work of repentance. For others, maybe they truly saw something, without desiring it, and want to find someone who can help them understand what they saw.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I found a podcast where there is some discussion, but it's mostly occult not ghost-specific views
https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/the_occult_shining_light_on_satans_shadow

I feel like there (might?) have been some apparition encounters in 'the Sayings of the Desert Fathers'? But they mostly were demons or devils masquerading or appearing. Its been a while since I read it.

ghosts are demonic, mental delusion, or both.

Agreed... (maybe) there is a kind of 3rd option, where they are something like an 'echo'. You might experience the effects of the echo, but you wouldn't be able to interact with it, and it's not 'the real thing' anymore than you could interact with my shadow. My shadow is the silhouette of me stretched across space (usually the floor or a wall). A 'ghost' could be (metaphorically) the silhouette of a person's actions or emotions or spiritual state stretched across time. One might experience a 'ghost' in this way, but the 'ghost' is not experiencing them - there's nothing there to experience them with.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
For many, ghosts are a gateway to the occult. Their curiosity leads them down a slippery path. The encounter or want for paranormal experiences necessitates consultations which usually involve divination. The hunger for answers begets more interactions and they're caught in a whirlpool.

I'd liken ghosts to carrots. They dangle their obscurity for the masses and we eat it up. I don't believe they're human. Nor do they hail from God. That's Satan's realm.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Agreed... (maybe) there is a kind of 3rd option, where they are something like an 'echo'. You might experience the effects of the echo, but you wouldn't be able to interact with it, and it's not 'the real thing' anymore than you could interact with my shadow. My shadow is the silhouette of me stretched across space (usually the floor or a wall). A 'ghost' could be (metaphorically) the silhouette of a person's actions or emotions or spiritual state stretched across time. One might experience a 'ghost' in this way, but the 'ghost' is not experiencing them - there's nothing there to experience them with.

maybe

Upvote 0

OrthodoxWanderer

May 4, 2020
NSEW
✟85,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For many, ghosts are a gateway to the occult. Their curiosity leads them down a slippery path. The encounter or want for paranormal experiences necessitates consultations which usually involve divination. The hunger for answers begets more interactions and they're caught in a whirlpool.

I'd liken ghosts to carrots. They dangle their obscurity for the masses and we eat it up. I don't believe they're human. Nor do they hail from God. That's Satan's realm.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

I'll second this, been there done that bought the T-Shirt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never met someone who repots ghousts, could yiu share a story or story thta gives an example to this

My gf says she saw one when she lived on a farm, the previous owner was there in the barn
forking hay apparently. There was no interaction with her, and she didn't give the image much interaction either. (hence my postulation in my previous post). Only saw it once.

Upvote 0