Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My question is inspired by the gospels of Matthew and Luke. Concretely, by Matthew 14:26-27 and Luke 24:36-39:

26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

[Matthew 14:26-27 NASB]​

36 Now while they were telling these things, Jesus Himself suddenly stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be to you.” 37 But they were startled and frightened, and thought that they were looking at a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you frightened, and why are doubts arising in your hearts? 39 See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you plainly see that I have.”

[Luke 24:36-39 NASB]​

These passages tell us about the worldview of Jesus' disciples. They believed that apparitions of ghosts/spirits were a real phenomenon, to the point that in at least two instances they mistook their own Master for apparitions of this kind. This makes me wonder: why did the disciples have such a worldview in the first place? Was it rooted in actual experience?

Do ghosts exist?

Do disembodied spirits exist?

Are stories of paranormal activity real?

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My question is inspired by the gospels of Matthew and Luke. Concretely, by Matthew 14:26-27 and Luke 24:36-39:

26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

36 Now while they were telling these things, Jesus Himself suddenly stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be to you.” 37 But they were startled and frightened, and thought that they were looking at a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you frightened, and why are doubts arising in your hearts? 39 See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you plainly see that I have.”

These passages tell us about the worldview of Jesus' disciples. They believed that apparitions of ghosts/spirits were a real phenomenon, to the point that in at least two instances they mistook their own Master for apparitions of this kind. This makes me wonder: why did the disciples have such a worldview in the first place? Was it rooted in actual experience?

Do ghosts exist?

Are all the people who report them liars? If not, my guess is that there's a reason behind the stories.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do ghosts exist?

The answer is often likely to be yes! We definitely meddle with such things at our peril. If these things are not of God, then the alternative will be something evil.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do ghosts exist?

It is in the Old Testament. Saul conjured Samuel through the Witch of Endor. A clear violation, but he did it anyway. Whether it was Samuel or not remains debated till this day. That being said , conjuring up ghosts is not wise.
Blessings

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Do ghosts exist?

Demonic spirits do exist .... sometimes disguising themselves as familiar spirits (family members) is (ghosts)

After his resurrection, Jesus appeared to his disciples. Again they were terrified:

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." (Luke 24:37-39, NIV)

Jesus did not believe in ghosts; he knew the truth, but his superstitious apostles had bought into that folk tale. When they encountered something they couldn't understand, they immediately assumed it was a ghost.

Because of the existence of demons (fallen angels) it is important to understand that yeah.... the dead are really dead ... there is nothing immortal about us .... until Jesus returns and the 1st resurrection happens. Otherwise, one will indeed believe there are ghosts .... thinking the appearance of demons (even though perhaps seemingly friendly at times) is proof of an "immortal soul" ... not true .... and one may be easily deceived.

Sorcery, the use of spells, divination, or speaking to spirits, is clearly condemned in the Bible. The word sorcery in Scripture is always used in reference to an evil or deceptive practice.

For example, in 2 Chronicles 33:6, King Manasseh is condemned for his many evil practices, including sorcery: “And he burned his sons as an offering in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, and used fortune-telling and omens and sorcery, and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger.”

The apostle Paul lists sorcery as one of many sinful practices that mark the lives of unbelievers: “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife . . . and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Interestingly, the New Testament Greek word translated “sorcery” is pharmakeia, which is the source of our English word pharmacy. In Paul’s day, the word primarily meant “dealing in poison” or “drug use” and was applied to divination and spell-casting because sorcerers often used drugs along with their incantations and amulets to conjure occult power.

Sorcerers were common in the culture of ancient Egypt (Exodus 7:11; Isaiah 19:3). We also see sorcery in the kingdom of Babylon, especially in association with King Nebuchadnezzar (Jeremiah 27:9; Daniel 2:2).

Sorcery is an attempt to bypass God’s wisdom and power and give glory to Satan instead. God has no tolerance for sorcery. In Deuteronomy 18:10-12, sorcery is listed among the sinful practices of the nations surrounding Israel. God calls it an abomination: “There shall not be found among you . . . anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.”

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because of the existence of demons (fallen angels) it is important to understand that yeah.... the dead are really dead ... there is nothing immortal about us .... until Jesus returns and the 1st resurrection happens. Otherwise, one will indeed believe there are ghosts .... thinking the appearance of demons (even though perhaps seemingly friendly at times) is proof of an "immortal soul" ... not true .... and one may be easily deceived.

Do you believe that the dead are unconscious?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that the dead are unconscious?
I believe man is triune and the conscious spirit returns to God when you die, just as scripture states. I believe the "soul" "sleeps" unconscious in death, just like Jesus spoke of concerning Lazarus. At the resurrection of the dead it will be judged for all the works done by the body, at the direction of the soul. And I think that the "body" returns to the dust with no consciousness at all.

I teach that demons are disembodied evil spirits. Their goal is to manifest their nature into a visible world through us. It is a perversion of why God created Adam and Eve to begin with. He wanted them to manifest His invisible "image and likeness" as creator to His creation. Demons pervert this very divine purpose of God, for us. It is those demons, which scripture confirms we are wrestling against.

ROM 8:38 For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor ANGELS (demonic), nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

EPH 6:12 For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the SPIRITUAL HOSTS (demonic) of wickedness in the heavenly places.

I have acquired a scripture list of 17 different named demons. We 'assume' that they are ruling spirits, also known as "strongman" as when dealing with deliverance situations.

MAT 12:28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man's (ruling spirit) house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe man is triune and the conscious spirit returns to God when you die, just as scripture states. I believe the "soul" "sleeps" unconscious in death, just like Jesus spoke of concerning Lazarus. At the resurrection of the dead it will be judged for all the works done by the body, at the direction of the soul. And I think that the "body" returns to the dust with no consciousness at all.

What is the difference between 'spirit' and 'soul'?

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Do ghosts exist?

I've unfortunately experienced a lot of paranormal activity in my life since I was a teenager. It's been 2 years since I've experienced anything, though.

I don't believe in ghosts, though. I believe in demons that portray themselves as loved ones.

I won't deny anyone's story of anything. I believe they have experienced what they believe they experienced.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between 'spirit' and 'soul'?
The spirit is that part of man which gives life to the body. It's like electricity for something to move. The soul is the functioning brain often described as your 'mind, will, emotions'.

JAM 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead.

The word for soul in the Greek is the word psuche and it's the word from which we get words in English like psychology, psyche, psycho.

I just say that the spirit gives ANIMATING life to your body and the soul gives MOTIVATIONAL life, to what you do with your body. It's the life

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I've unfortunately experienced a lot of paranormal activity in my life since I was a teenager. It's been 2 years since I've experienced anything, though.

I don't believe in ghosts, though. I believe in demons that portray themselves as loved ones.

I won't deny anyone's story of anything. I believe they have experienced what they believe they experienced.
I've had my share of the paranormal also. I don't consider it as unfortunate at all. My experiences have given me testimonies concerning things in the bible that most of the church has never experienced and therefore aren't as motivated as I have been to pursue God much more than so many. Mine started with seeing a demonic manifestation as an 'eye' on the wall when I was preschool age. It happened on night when a cousin's family were visiting and we were stuck in the basement bedroom. My older cousin also saw it. Nothing else until decades later and after I'd become a Christian. I've seen, heard and been physically grabbed by evil spirits.

I do believe in ghosts, though I've never seen one, I have had personal testimonies from people who have. I would agree that they can be ghosts manifesting as someone. That's what the apostles thought Jesus was when they thought he was a ghost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing else until decades later and after I'd become a Christian. I've seen, heard and been physically grabbed by evil spirits.

Are you talking about "sleep paralysis" or has this happened to you when you have been fully awake? Also, do you have any ideas about the causes? Why would God allow demons to do this to you?

I do believe in ghosts, though I've never seen one, I have had personal testimonies from people who have. I would agree that they can be ghosts manifesting as someone. That's what the apostles thought Jesus was when they thought he was a ghost.

I recently heard a second-hand testimony from my mother about her mother (who passed away several years ago) appearing to a third person who shouldn't have known about her with such an extreme level of detail. The incident also involved keys disappearing and then re-appearing in places where they shouldn't have appeared in, and doors that were never left locked appearing locked. Grandma was allegedly "taking care" of the place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you have any idea what causes those experiences and how they can be stopped?

• Useful
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Disembodied spirits are human souls. All other spirits are angels.
A holy angel is a messenger from God. They give the message and they leave. A spirit that wants to form a relationship is ipso facto evil. Example, the child ghost that died tragically and needs help for whatever reason is an evil spirit probably a demon. The grief of a parent is exploited by demons knowing how powerful the desire to be with them again.
I believe God allows visits from the recently passed. Jesus visited many for 40 days or so. But continuing an earthly relationship isn't what it's about.
Demons are on God's leash and He may use them for our benefit. A person lifted up by God or someone co-operating with God's grace sanctifying their life may encounter increasing opposition from demons.
They hate God so much the more we are like Him the more they hate us. They have been known to try and trick martyres from achieving their victory.
God does let them be seen sometimes if it will wake us up and not attract us to them.
The Jewish exorcists in Jesus' day had adopted a way to exorcise evil spirits developed by pagans. They aquire the use of a strong demon to exorcise weaker demons.
That's why Jesus told them if it's by the power of God that He expels evil spirits how are they doing it? Ok sorry for the long post.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are no actual ghosts. The human mind has a very strong desire to see other humans and spot them in "in the wild". When hunters are out for days seeking food they need to be able to see animals that are naturally camouflaged and to spot other family members to keep them safe. So the mind works very hard to "bring to life" friends and relatives. It helps keep people company when alone if they can recreate relatives that have given them hunting advice for example. This is why ghosts are never seen by two people. It's always one person alone, usually in the dark who is already longing for company. We can also find faces and animals in the wild. These are all manifestations of our imagination are are perfectly natural. Not only are they natural but they are healthy.

83e4b272f30e02edd87dd557821cdc0f.jpg
305190a7822de5a8fd8523c56375aca7.jpg

dancin-tree.jpg
tree16.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arguments about the nature of ghosts are the same as arguments about the nature of flying saucers. Are [ghosts/flying saucers] [haints/spaceships] or demons? The question of whether ghosts and/or flying sacers exist at all, in any form, is never addressed.

I see it as a matter of faith. You can believe in ghosts and flying saucers if you like, based on "the
evidence of things not seen", as part of your body of belief. Many of us don't share those beliefs.

BTW, belief in spooks and spacemen is hardly comparable to believing in the Gospel of Christ, so please spare us what seems to be the inevitable but nonsensical comparison.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see it as a matter of faith. You can believe in ghosts and flying saucers if you like, based on "the evidence of things not seen", as part of your body of belief. Many of us don't share those beliefs.

BTW, belief in spooks and spacemen is hardly comparable to believing in the Gospel of Christ, so please spare us what seems to be the inevitable but nonsensical comparison.

Sorry, but I can't help it. Do you believe that demons exist? If so, is it based on faith or reason? If based on reason, what are your reasons?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0