• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Getting What We Deserve

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tree of Life, May 17, 2019.

1. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,097
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It will be in effect by God who accepts us as righteous, holy and without blemish or spot. Jesus promised to deliver us that way, does he fail to do so in some way?

2. Hammster

Hammster Every knee shall bow. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,928
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    He does accept us as righteous. But because it’s not righteousness from us (we didn’t do anything that made us righteousness merited the righteousness), then it’s undeserved. So it makes no sense to say that I deserve to be in heaven because of undeserved righteousness.

3. mark kennedy

+7,097
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Whether or not we deserved righteousness when we received it is beside the point, when your holy, righteous and blameless before God you deserve to enter the kingdom of heaven. I'm not saying you earned it but your nature is completely changed since then at the resurrection. At that point you deserve God's blessings and favor forever.

4. Hammster

+14,928
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Then you have something to boast about.

5. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+812
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    God found us deserving of many things. He even finds the reprobate deserving of life and all that comes with it. It is a wonderful thing God gave us. The opportunity to know Him and all He has given us. In the end all will be accountable for their actions. At that time we will receive what we have earned and most deserving.
    Blessing

6. His student

His student Well-Known Member

+293
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Hebrews 10:31

Fortunately that already happened for me when I was crucified with Him.

He's not angry with me anymore and I'll never again come into condemnation.

There are many here in the forum who feel differently than I do about that.
    They feel that they must strive to deserve salvation or they will lose it.
    We debate the issue with them quite often.

Whether they agree with me on it or not, I think Mark and Hammster agree on the facts. They just choose to word things differently.

We will all stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ to receive what we deserve in the sight of God for what we have done while in the flesh. At that time, before He wipes away every tear, I'm thinking that we'll all see exactly what we deserve and don't deserve.

Obviously only Jesus really deserves the things that await us on the other side of this life. But as His spotless bride I'll definitely be going along for the ride.

I'm one with Him forever - no matter what those of little faith say about it.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. bling

bling Regular Member Supporter

+799
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Is to not get what we deserve: unjust or unfair?

8. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,580
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private

Terribly wonderful!

9. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain Supporter

+5,433
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    In ourselves we certainly do not. But because Christ has paid for our sins and given us his righteousness, it would be unjust for God not to save us. By God's grace we deserve salvation! 1 John 1:9 says that he is faithful and just to forgive us.

10. Tree of Life

+5,433
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    There is nothing about us that merits salvation. But Jesus merits salvation for us.

11. Hammster

+14,928
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It’s not because of what we’ve done, though. It’s because of what Christ of what Christ has done on our behalf.

12. Tree of Life

+5,433
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Agreed. But clothed in Christ we are co-heirs of heaven and earth!

13. Tree of Life

+5,433
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    To answer my own OP, I think it would be a terrible thing to get what we, in ourselves, deserve. Thank God that he does not treat us as our sins deserve. But it is a wonderful thing to get what Christ deserves which is ours by grace through faith.

14. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member

+1,681
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Terrible

15. Sola1517

Sola1517 Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)

+189
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    That would be terrible. Utterly terrible.

16. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+7,848
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Please don't throw me in dat briar-patch!

17. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,461
    Christian
    Private
    we run a race Christ has already won and has promised to give us its reward. it's odd to speak of terms of what we deserve when we know we'll fail yet get the prize of winning at the same time.

so what do we deserve? we did not earn the prize yet because it was promised to us does this not change the rules? looking at this "everyone wins" in a vacuum, everyone deserves to win because that's the promise given to us.

it's like someone telling us if we enter their house they will give us pie. do I deserve the pie? well the rules were to enter the house and I will get pie so, as long as I enter the house, then do I not deserve the pie?

18. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,754
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Revelation 22:14 speaks of us having the right to eat from the tree of life.

19. Hammster

+14,928
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Where does that right come from?

20. mark kennedy

+7,097
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Ok Hammster, so no matter what Christ's completed work does for you, you are never going to deserve anything from God ever?