Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Due to depression and social anxiety, I started writing less and less a couple years ago and one day gave it up all together. I'm starting to get over the depression and social anxiety now, and the Writer's Block is receding too. I feel like a can write some now, but I still don't have the passion and drive like I did before. I mean I can actually sit down and write for 30-45 minutes maybe once or twice a week (where as before I couldn't bear to even try), but I want to get back on a daily schedule. Does anyone have any tips? I've just been trying to read more, write what I can and be satisfied, and try and read some books on creative writing (probably re-read Stephen King's book). Is there anything else I can do? This is especially important because I have a novel I started writing in the fall of 2009 that I want to finish this summer and I want to prepare myself for this story that is so important to me.

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My first book was almost completely written under writer's block, as I made a lot of stuff up on the fly. The best way to get rid of writer's block is just to slog through it. You may hit a patch of ease and inspiration...or you may not, but whatever you are trying to write will get written.

Upvote 0

technol

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
✟15,122.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
I've had 13 books published.

If you've got writers block try writing something out of sequence.

For example, if you have written chapter 1, 2 and 3, and you are stuck, but you know where the story is going, then try starting a later chapter and come back to where you were later.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've had 13 books published.

If you've got writers block try writing something out of sequence.

For example, if you have written chapter 1, 2 and 3, and you are stuck, but you know where the story is going, then try starting a later chapter and come back to where you were later.

Good suggestion. That's what had helped me with my first book.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I find my biggest problem is just feeling like whatever I write is complete crap. Either I write too little and the pacing is to fast, or I write too much and bring the story to a grinding halt. I can never find a balance of what feels right.

Last night though, I decided I don't care and just wrote whatever came to me, without worrying whether it was too long, too short, good, or bad. It seems to help because I actually just finished writing a bit just before posting this and I cant' remember the last time I wrote two consecutive days in a row.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What you just described is a good writing exercise for poets and storytellers alike.

The next time you feel like whatever you write is going to be bad or whatever, just repeat this to yourself.

"I can always revise it later."

That's why they call it a rough draft. Some are rougher than others, hehe.
Revision is just what shapes and polishes it into it's final product.

Upvote 0