Are
✟9,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am studying to become a teacher -in my third year of university. I've always been an A student (when I do my absolute best, that is). I am someone who has to work extra hard to do well; school does not come easy for me. I push myself so so hard sometimes that I get physically sick from stress, and obviously it affects my mental health too. I am a perfectionist and have been told I'm very hard on myself. My grades often consume my mind. I know this isn't right. But when I don't work as hard when studying or doing assignments, I feel like I am sinning because I am not doing my "best". I believe people should do their best in everything, and God calls us to do our best. My best is an A grade, if I don't do my best, I get B's and C's. Is getting B's and C's a sin because I am not working my hardest or doing my best while studying? This is such a conflict for me... and always has been.

Is it okay to take the B's and C's? Should I feel guilty for getting these low grades? How much should I be putting into studying for exams and assignments?
Note: At this point in my degree, my grades do not matter.. as long as I obtain C+'s or B's I will be able to get the paper stating I have the degree.

Thanks people, any advice is very much appreciated :)

~JennaP

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am studying to become a teacher -in my third year of university. I've always been an A student (when I do my absolute best, that is). I am someone who has to work extra hard to do well; school does not come easy for me. I push myself so so hard sometimes that I get physically sick from stress, and obviously it affects my mental health too. I am a perfectionist and have been told I'm very hard on myself. My grades often consume my mind. I know this isn't right. But when I don't work as hard when studying or doing assignments, I feel like I am sinning because I am not doing my "best". I believe people should do their best in everything, and God calls us to do our best. My best is an A grade, if I don't do my best, I get B's and C's. Is getting B's and C's a sin because I am not working my hardest or doing my best while studying? This is such a conflict for me... and always has been.

Is it okay to take the B's and C's? Should I feel guilty for getting these low grades? How much should I be putting into studying for exams and assignments?
Note: At this point in my degree, my grades do not matter.. as long as I obtain C+'s or B's I will be able to get the paper stating I have the degree.

~JennaP
The content of the courses you are taking may be more important than the grades. The ranking of your university more important than the grades. When I was younger, I did not do well in school. When I was older I returned to get a degree. I spent most of my time in a basement apartment studying and got good grades. I worried the school was not high quality. Having good work ethics might help you over the long run. Should not give up after one C. My brother teaches. Every year they hire new teachers as his district does not pay very much. Many teachers will be retiring. Keep on keeping on.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

~JennaP

This is a tricky question. Why do I say that?

(1) Grades are someone else's subjective rating of your performance and, as such, it may have little predictive value regarding your future performance as a teacher. BUT
(2) Grades can also represent how well you are investing yourself to learn how to be the best teacher you can be. I am sure you want to be the best teacher you can be, since we are to "do everything we do as unto the Lord."
(3) How well you learn the information may affect whether you pass your certification exams. It would be a shame to have a degree and be unable to teach, because you couldn't pass that exam. And that does happen.

Just keep in mind that God can get you through all this, if you are diligently seeking Him. It can be much harder if you put Him on the shelf to chase the grades.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that if you went back in time you could change all B's & C's to an A grade by working harder?

Aren't the grades all somewhat subjective and/or dependent on how the other students in the class affect the grade scale?

Also, your best has to be qualified by the circumstances in which you are working. Your best jump while holding a hundred pound weight will be different than when you have no weight.

The goal is to get the degree. Focus on that. The true measure of your success will be in the results of your efforts as a teacher.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you might be getting burnt out. I think it is OK to shoot for a B average. School districts might expect this in their hiring. I know the Federal Government does. Many graduate schools too will want someone with better grades. Many teachers do go on and get a masters as that pushes them up the pay scale. It is not a sin though to get a few C's.
God wants you to have a balanced life and what you are doing with God right now or anytime for that matter will count far more in eternity than what GPA you had.

Upvote 0