Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Me, too, if He'll have me...All I know is I fee a call. But I've seen lots of folks who I think are holier than I am, and they serve as lay people. But I also know I never get tired of preaching about God, and so I have offered myself up. Keep me in your prayers...(I already know you do...)

:hug: Always.
He will lead you exactly where you should be.
I know right, always wanting to talk about God - i know how it feels. If it werent for forums i would be mad by now. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm under the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, and we don't have a problem with participating in Catholic services. However, you would be correct in saying that one is generally, though sadly, forbidden from receiving the Eucharist in the Catholic Church.

Join in prayer for reunification. :hug:

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm under the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, and we don't have a problem with participating in Catholic services. However, you would be correct in saying that one is generally, though sadly, forbidden from receiving the Eucharist in the Catholic Church.

The fact that His All Holiness attends Roman Catholic services sometimes for the sake of improving relations with the West does not mean everyone under his jurisdiction has blanket approval to do so. His All Holiness does not concelebrate nor pray with the Catholics during these services, other than occasionally saying something short like the Lord's prayer or the original Nicene Creed. I'm not going to sit here and have a peeing contest with you over it. Obviously you have not asked your spiritual father. Cool, whatever. I had to warn you. Now I've warned you. My part in this is done.

This kind of false ecumenism pushes East and West further apart though. It doesn't bring us together.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
:hug: Always.
He will lead you exactly where you should be.
I know right, always wanting to talk about God - i know how it feels. If it werent for forums i would be mad by now. :)

Me too, here and my blog.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Protokletos

Sep 3, 2011
✟7,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The fact that His All Holiness attends Roman Catholic services sometimes for the sake of improving relations with the West does not mean everyone under his jurisdiction has blanket approval to do so. His All Holiness does not concelebrate nor pray with the Catholics during these services, other than occasionally saying something short like the Lord's prayer or the original Nicene Creed. I'm not going to sit here and have a peeing contest with you over it. Obviously you have not asked your spiritual father. Cool, whatever. I had to warn you. Now I've warned you. My part in this is done.

This kind of false ecumenism pushes East and West further apart though. It doesn't bring us together.

Look I don’t really want to get into this with you, but I will. I'm well aware of the North American convert anti-ecumenist types who turn their local priest into an infallible guru, or "spiritual father." People from Orthodox backgrounds don't generally subscribe to the whole "father said I can't pray with Catholics" thing and then go all over the internet giving their spiritual advice. If you want to have a spiritual father that dictates your every move, go ahead, but I’m not a monk and I’m turning the local priest into my guru on the basis of him being there. I'm sure you're well-meaning but you should try to get over this phase as soon as possible because you’re really not helping me or yourself. Other than that, my question about Ash Wednesday has been answered by Catholics, and the whole thread is now becoming pointless because of arguing over nothing.

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Protokletos,

It is absolutely fine for you to receive the holy ashes. Simply approach the ash-bearer and he/she will impose them on your forehead in the shape of the Holy Cross. The one doing the imposing shall say a prayer.

I often say "Amen" when I receive, however this is not necessary.

And yes, I believe there is no problem with you receiving the holy ashes...even from an Orthodox standpoint (and I have studied Eastern Orthodoxy and still do). The fact that His Beatitude the Patriarch of Constantinople takes part in non-sacramental liturgical rites of the Church...and is even present at Holy Mass...means that there is no intrinsic problem with an Orthodox receiving the holy ashes. You are to imitate your Patriarch when he does good, just as we are. There is, as a matter of fact, no unanimous agreement between Orthodox on this issue anyway.

From a Catholic pov, there is absolutely no problem for you to receive the holy ashes. In fact, if you desire to do so then you are encouraged. Even the non-baptized are able to receive the holy ashes during their catechumenate or candidancy. All the more so for an Orthodox Christian fully initiated/illumined! The only discrepancy I can see is what Anhelnya mentioned: the dating of Great Lent. Orthodox Christians are encouraged, if they desire, to attend and pray with us Roman Catholics and Eastern Catholics. In some cases, you may even receive the Holy Eucharist from the hand of a Catholic priest (Eastern or Western rites) although you are encouraged to respect the discipline of your own Patriarchate. (But that's a separate issue, LOL)

So, basically, that's that.

Given your interest in Catholicism though, might I suggest learning about the Eastern (Byzantine) Catholic churches? If you were to come into full communion with the Catholic Church, you'd be considered a Byzantine Catholic anyway, not a Roman Catholic (and the holy ashes are a distinctly Latin rite). Just something to consider...but now I'm rambling so I'll shut up, LOL. ;)

Upvote 0

ThePilgrim

Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
✟10,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Look I don’t really want to get into this with you, but I will. I'm well aware of the North American convert anti-ecumenist types who turn their local priest into an infallible guru, or "spiritual father." People from Orthodox backgrounds don't generally subscribe to the whole "father said I can't pray with Catholics" thing and then go all over the internet giving their spiritual advice. If you want to have a spiritual father that dictates your every move, go ahead, but I’m not a monk and I’m turning the local priest into my guru on the basis of him being there. I'm sure you're well-meaning but you should try to get over this phase as soon as possible because you’re really not helping me or yourself. Other than that, my question about Ash Wednesday has been answered by Catholics, and the whole thread is now becoming pointless because of arguing over nothing.
Protokletos,

With all due respect, there's not much to be gained by making this discussion personal and us vs them, or convert vs. cradle. It's certainly not helpful and is likely not even accurate.

While I have no doubt that you were raised Orthodox, I don't think your characterization of the opinions of people from Orthodox backgrounds is entirely true to life. How much time have you spent living and attending Church in traditionally Orthodox countries?

If anything, I think that we tend to be more okay in this country with things like what you're asking than they would be in Greece, Ukraine, Russia, etc.

In Christ,
Fr. John

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sits in front of her screen shaking her head.

Protokletos - since you now have the approval of the Knight - who has studied Holy Orthodoxy who am I to say anything.

Well I'll add one more - please think hard before you approach the priest for Communion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
...there are circumstances when non-Catholics may receive Communion from a Catholic priest. This is especially the case when it comes to Eastern Orthodox Christians, who share the same faith concerning the nature of the sacraments: "Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the oriental churches which do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask on their own for the sacraments and are properly disposed. This holds also for members of other churches, which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition as the oriental churches as far as these sacraments are concerned" (CIC 844 § 3).

Christians in these churches should, of course, respect their own church’s guidelines regarding when it would be permissible for them to receive Communion in a Catholic church.

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Protokletos - since you now have the approval of the Knight - who has studied Holy Orthodoxy who am I to say anything.

No-one is trying to disagree with you, Anhelyna, I certainly wasn't.

So I don't know where that came from...must have been the way it came across... Stupid computer talking, lol.

Well I'll add one more - please think hard before you approach the priest for Communion.

Agreed.

Reactions: Protokletos
Upvote 0

Protokletos

Sep 3, 2011
✟7,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Knightwolflord, thank you for your helpful and kind response.

Fr. John, many converts are wonderful Orthodox Christians, much better than I am. All I meant to say was that there is a certain mentality that runs through some convert circles, and yes it can be found among cradle Orthodox as well, but I truly believe it’s not as widespread among cradle Orthodox. But my response was too harsh.

Anyway, I shouldn't have made this thread. Clearly asking how to properly receive an anointing was too controversial. :doh:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Before we end this - just wanted to add this:

Whenever necessity requires it or true spiritual advantage suggests it, and provided that danger of error or of indifferentism is avoided, the [Catholic] Christian faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister are permitted to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose churches these sacraments are valid
(canon 844 §2).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,670.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Protokletos - the RC Church does not regard the imposition of Ashes as an annointing as you and I understand the term .

As you have been told - they will in fact impose ashes on anyone who presents themself - but annointing is different , it is not given to non-catholics

Upvote 0
J

JesusIsTheWay33

Partially blind post since I saw there was added drama to the thread.

The minister of ashes says "May you turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel." and the receiver says "amen"....
For information, this is one formula. The other typically used is "remember that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return".

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For information, this is one formula. The other typically used is "remember that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return".

I did know that was an option - but have been to Ash Wednesday services around various parts of the US and haven't heard that one, so figured it wasn't really used. :)

Upvote 0