Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I love to ride. When I lived in Virginia I rode my bike everywhere I went that was in city limits. I was averaging 10-20 miles per day. But, where I live in PA is not at all bike friendly and I almost never get to ride anymore. :(

I have a Surly Longhaul Trucker.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do but I have to wear my knees when riding. I live in the woods & we have a lot of hilly areas & not much flat. I've had issues with my knees ever since I was a kid playing soccer & kick ball. My knees pop & get water on them if I'm not careful.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
TheOtherHockeyMom said:
I do...although my road bike is on a trainer right now, and the mountain bike is taking the winter off. What kind of bike are you shopping for? I ride a Specialized Roubaix on the rosfand an older hardtail Diamonback offroad.

I'm looking at a cruiser style. Either a huffy cranbrook or a Schwinn .

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
TheOtherHockeyMom said:
Cool...there's been a great deal of new interested in cruisers and commuters, it seems to me. Lots of neat bikes out there for getting around town.

That's what I'm thinking. I can go to the forgery store or my friends house this way and save gas and get some excercise.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Tallguy88 said:
That's what I'm thinking. I can go to the forgery store or my friends house this way and save gas and get some excercise.

That's supposed to say "grocery store." Not quite sure what a forgery store is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sarcalogos Deus

Welch Ein Mensch!
Jan 1, 2010
Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
✟8,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to ride all the time around our neighborhood before we moved out into the boonies. Now I still can but I have to go up some steep hills, which isn't a bad thing I'm just not in the mood to do that very often.

Being able to just bike to the store to pick up a few things is probably the only thing I miss about living in town.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bikes are better to ride in the city. A lot of them have partitioned areas for bikes. In the rural areas - especially in the winter - its beyond impossible. :D I think not...at this time of year.
Besides all of that - in the summer - roads are at a faster speed, even side roads - so not the safest thing to do - except to do so in the parks made for it.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I used to ride all the time around our neighborhood before we moved out into the boonies. Now I still can but I have to go up some steep hills, which isn't a bad thing I'm just not in the mood to do that very often.

Being able to just bike to the store to pick up a few things is probably the only thing I miss about living in town.
Yeah, i miss the city.
But PA is so hilly wherever you live - i lived in Pgh - the hills are like small mountains so either i would get a great workout and probably have to walk the bike up or have great legs from pushing the bike up by pedals.
Tho - i did live for a while in a basically less hilly spot [in Pgh] - less hilly if i wanted to shop at a convenience store. But grocery shopping - there was a hill. Our home now is surrounded by hills in the rural. So if i ever lived in a flat area - i would definitely want to trek out the bike to hop to the store.

Never had that pleasure. But i did ride a lot in Pgh in our valley area on our street.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love traveling by bicycle, and iI hope I can start making the time to do more of it.

I have an Aunt hwo I particularily admire. She is in her late 60s and lives in rural Michigan, she refuses to use her car unless there's snow or ice on the ground or a heavy thunderstorm brewing. She has what must be a 25 mile ride to work in the city every day, I don't know how she does it. She's circumnavigated Lake Michigan by bicycle several times too with just the gear she could carry on her back, that's toughnes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a hybrid. It's the Schwin Crisscross.

Part road bike, part mountain bike.

It has 21 speeds, but is built stronger than a road bike, yet has a better ride than a mountain bike.

I went this route because the lake I live at, the roads are paved but not smooth and there are fire roads I can go on, which would destroy a road bike.

Jim

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a hybrid. It's the Schwin Crisscross.

Part road bike, part mountain bike.

It has 21 speeds, but is built stronger than a road bike, yet has a better ride than a mountain bike.

I went this route because the lake I live at, the roads are paved but not smooth and there are fire roads I can go on, which would destroy a road bike.

Jim

Through highschool and beyond I rode a Schwinn CrossFit, very similar to the Criss Cross. I have owned several bikes since, a Gary Fischer, two Giants, a Specialized and I forget what else. All were more expensive. There wasn't one I liked nearly as well as that CrossFit. I replaced it because I thought it was "old". Lesson learned. In googling the name, I see Schwinn (whatever is left of Schwinn, I believe they're owned by a group that doesn't actually manufacture anything and also owns the Cannondale name and a few others) still offers a CrossFit. It might be a good bike, but it isn't the skinny-framed flat-barred Cross Fit I had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Through highschool and beyond I rode a Schwinn CrossFit, very similar to the Criss Cross. I have owned several bikes since, a Gary Fischer, two Giants, a Specialized and I forget what else. All were more expensive. There wasn't one I liked nearly as well as that CrossFit. I replaced it because I thought it was "old". Lesson learned. In googling the name, I see Schwinn (whatever is left of Schwinn, I believe they're owned by a group that doesn't actually manufacture anything and also owns the Cannondale name and a few others) still offers a CrossFit. It might be a good bike, but it isn't the skinny-framed flat-barred Cross Fit I had.

Well when I bought the Schwin, I also bought my wife a Trek. They didn't have a Schwin in her size.

Anyway, people use to tell me that Schwin wasn't as good.

However, when comparing my Schwin to my wife's Trek, all the parts on my bike are metal, her's has a lot of plastic.

Also, her's has a problem with the chain falling off, if you're not careful and accidentally pedal backwards while shifting gears.

The Schwin has more forgiveness in this respect.

Jim

Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0