Get frustrated with people doubting God?

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize almost all of us do this from time to time, myself included, but sometimes when I have a friend that keeps making doubting comments about God and His love and I try to give the right and logical answers...and they still doubt, it makes me so frustrated! Does anyone else experience this? Am I having the wrong attitude? On one hand I feel like I shouldn't feel that way toward someone struggling, on the other hand I feel like I'm defending God. Especially when someone makes the comment "Or that's what you think because that's what we were taught to think." about me and Christianity it infuriates me. Any tips and advice?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I realize almost all of us do this from time to time, myself included, but sometimes when I have a friend that keeps making doubting comments about God and His love and I try to give the right and logical answers...and they still doubt, it makes me so frustrated! Does anyone else experience this? Am I having the wrong attitude? On one hand I feel like I shouldn't feel that way toward someone struggling, on the other hand I feel like I'm defending God. Especially when someone makes the comment "Or that's what you think because that's what we were taught to think." about me and Christianity it infuriates me. Any tips and advice?
Read one of the old reliable tested proven teachers like Spurgeon, E.W.Bullinger, Andrew Murray or Dwight Moody.
Those are mostly accurate teachers, from Scripture, of God's Ways in our lives,
unlike the
rash of false teachers a lot are flocking to today.
Good , stable, long time tested teaching (only available in books/ pdf/ online texts).

About the only sure reliable online video teaching is Corrie ten Boom. (she might be a good place to start, but if God permits don't neglect the others mentioned or other Godly men in the last few hundred years.)
Test everything - most modern teachings tickle your ears, yes they appeal to emotions and feelings and pretend to be able to satisfy the frustration end emptiness we all feel at times, but as Jesus warned - beware, be forewarned, not accept anything
that is not in line with Scripture (i.e. if you don't read Scripture, then you'll never know ).

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't doubt God's existence. I doubt my faith in him and his purpose for me. I don't know him well enough. I've only been on this journey since March as a Christian. I led a very self-indulgent secular life for many years. Buddhism seemed the answer for a while. I really think he is the answer through Jesus Christ. I have to say, sometimes the BIble is beyond my comprehension. Not that I doubt its importance, especially the gospels.

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't doubt God's existence. I doubt my faith in him and his purpose for me. I don't know him well enough. I've only been on this journey since March as a Christian. I led a very self-indulgent secular life for many years. Buddhism seemed the answer for a while. I really think he is the answer through Jesus Christ. I have to say, sometimes the BIble is beyond my comprehension. Not that I doubt its importance, especially the gospels.

Yes, my friend is going through something similar. She has grown up Christian her whole life and feels all of her Christian life wasn't coming from within, but that she was just doing it because that's how she was raised and had to live up to her family's expectations. She now doesn't even know if Jesus died for us or if God cares for her and humanity. She also thinks that there might not even be a heaven and that the purpose of life could just be to be alive...which sounds like circular reasoning to me. What good things can I say to her? I feel like even the best words cannot reach her. :/

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What good things can I say to her? I feel like even the best words cannot reach her. :/
The best advertisement for the Christian faith is us. Not what we say but how we say it. Do we look genuinely happy? Has our life changed for the better? I prefer the very soft sell approach. Take it or leave it in fact. You can't waste your time on people who aren't ready. Her time will come. I took about 35 years! :)

Upvote 0

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah her argument to that when I point out how fulfilled Christian lives are is that other people feel the same way in their religions (such as hinduiism for instance). And also because so many Christians are bad examples in their faith and don't always live it out, she said "Well if his special representatives on earth aren't actually so special What difference is there in our version vs someone else's version".

Personally,I don't really think it matters what other people are doing, how they're messing up...but what does is what we are doing in our own lives and our personal relationship with Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's good to make Scripture reading and prayer central, with time also for friendships if they enable you to witness but not if they draw us away from spiritual priorities.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello, I grew up in the secular world and I can tell you that most agnostics and atheists have a pretty low opinion of Christians. A significant portion can be openly hostile and they may even try to destroy your beliefs and convert you to atheism. To a person unschooled in apologetics, some of their arguments can be devastating. When you have a relationship with someone like that it is kind of like a trial by fire. They are also probably trying to take your temperature and see how you react. Perhaps they may be even be secretly hoping to see something different in you.

What I look for is what God has already revealed to them. You could find out about their background and ask questions about their experiences, anything supernatural, answers to prayer. Find out what they know about God and Jesus, and that should give you big clues about where to take things with them. Let the Holy Spirit guide you about how much or how little to say, and when to just listen. Don't let the comments burn you..Satan is trying to discourage you exactly because you are a threat to him. Relationship evangelism is tough but God will create the right moments. I've seen Him do that in my life time and time again.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I watched an interview with Bob Geldorf recently who is a devout atheist. I noticed more between the lines than the actual content of his arguments. His bitterness, his smug ego, his unhappiness. What an unhappy man? His only joy then is to look down on those "poor deluded Christians" who haven't got a clue. He was obviously bitter about his life, the suicide of wife and daughter.Here was an opportunity to really wake up and seek God. But instead he chose resentment and ego, his own vanity really. I feel sorry for him.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I rarely try to convince anyone about Christianity, since If God hasn't opened their eyes and ears it's a waste of time. The parable of the sower explains beautifully that the seed must fall on fruitful soil in order to produce a crop. In this country at this time, things are so materialistic, with the emphasis on celebrities, outward appearances, and the other drivel that people are into that to explain to them about the peace and joy found in Christ is wasted effort. What appeals to them is whatever excites their sinful nature, and there are very sophisticated ways of doing that. Sin looks good. Think about Adam and Eve in the garden and you'll understand.

Instead I try to BE Christian. I want people to see something in me and my life that they want in theirs, something richer and more fulfilling than anything they have. Perhaps then they'll pay attention.

My career was in geography. (stay tuned, please 8^) There is a principle of migration called push-pull. In order for people to migrate (including spiritually) they must be dissatisfied with where they are (figuratively) and there must be something appealing that is pulling them to a better place (figuratively). The first part is up to God. If he creates that yearning in someone, then I want to show them the beautiful reality of where I am -- in Christ. Hopefully they'll make the right decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pescador,

I agree with most of your post above. I don't try to force Christianity on anyone, but I will share the Gospel of the Grace of God with anyone willing to listen. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God, and God tells us that His Word is never wasted - never returns void - and always accomplishes His will and purpose. It might not even be the person we were talking to that benefited, and we may never know what the result was most of the time.

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course we all get frustrated! Whether at ourselves or at others. Often I find myself struggling with frustration with other people when they continue to doubt God, or say they will do something in relation to Him but never do it because they simply won't, don't want to, or find some other reason not to. It is easy for us to become frustrated by this. We Christian's have seen the glory, love, and wonderfulness that God has to offer us. We see how a good Father He truly is, but others don't. They doubt Him and cannot understand that you have to draw near to Him and seek Him before He draw nears to you.

The best thing to do in that situation, I think, is be the stewards of God we are called to be and step back, try to understand the person in THEIR shoes, and extend some grace and compassion. And then maybe we can have a better understanding.

Upvote 0

Kimberly_j

Aug 23, 2016
New York
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am going through something similar I am reading a book by Greg Laurie called tell someone. It's about how he came to faith and how we can share the gospel in ways you never thought of it's really good. I too feel I get defensive at times like i have to constantly defend or prove my faith to others & it's really frustrating. I agree with the others we have to walk it not talk it. The biggest misconception non believers have is they think cause we call ourselves Christians we claim to be perfect. No we aren't we are Christians because we recognize we fall short and need Christ. A church is a hospital for sinners, not a club for saints. We arent holier than thou we are sinners that need God grace. We have to practice grace including myself it's not an easy thing when it comes to non believers.

Upvote 0

davidcrosby

Aug 7, 2016
US
✟15,828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm reminded of Acts 13:51.

(Verses 49 & 50)
And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region. But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.

(Verse 51)
But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium.

And verse 52 adds "And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit."

All in all, you plant, I'll water, and God will bring the increase (1 Coor 3:6).

Upvote 0