• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

George Will nails it.

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by The Barbarian, Sep 18, 2021.

1. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Today, conservatism is soiled by scowling primitives whose irritable gestures lack mental ingredients. America needs a reminder of conservatism before vulgarians hijacked it, and a hint of how it became susceptible to hijacking."
    George Will: Conservatism is soiled by scowling primitives

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brihaha

Brihaha Active Member

+413
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I saw him interviewed about modern conservatism on Margaret Hoover on PBS. The man is honest and knows what he is talking about. He spoke about the rise of populism and how it leads some to think laws that people agree with should be implemented quickly with no resistance from politicians (mob rules). Whereas in a republic, citizens represent the people and the people vote for candidates to decide which laws should be implemented (democracy). Which means the people must demand honesty from said representatives. In America, it seems many politicians have manipulated voters into voting for a letter, even when it's not in their best interest. In reciprocal fashion, these voters have trained said politicians into lying to them and telling them what they want to hear, regardless of facts. It's really a counterproductive and vicious cycle. Politicians must be held accountable at the ballot box if we ever hope to end their exploitation of us!

3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I have a cousin like that. I still love him as a family member I grew up with.
    [​IMG]

4. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+2,181
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Unfortunately, George Will was a little slow on this. I use to like him on Meet the Press, then he left for Fox News and went off the rails as he tried to justify his support for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

So now he's coming back as a critic of the current conservatives ?

5. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I grew up in a community like that. When I realize how many of my childhood friends did so many weird and damaging things to themselves...

One key to redneck culture is that it might be ignorant, but it never lacks for a sense of humor. Those people are the best raconteurs. And I mean that entirely as a compliment.

6. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Everyone has a point. Even rednecks.

7. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I think a lot of folks like Will thought maybe the far-right could be tamed and made into good philosophical conservatives. Instead, the far-right made many philosophical conservatives into crazed extremists.

I don't know if Will was part of that, but many of his kind were so involved.

8. Jeff11

Jeff11 Member

+65
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    George will stated several years ago he left the republican party and now identifies as a libertarian so I’m not sure why the OP would quote him in this context. He’s no longer a conservative. Not sure why the original poster would want to quote him but I guess anyone who criticizes Republicans regardless of their actual identified position he thinks is worthwhile.

George Will’s Libertarian Turn - Mark Pulliam

9. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    George Will is a Goldwater/Reagan/Buckley conservative. Time was when conservatives were libertarian, pro-American,and pro-Constitution. Trump changed all that.

10. Jeff11

Jeff11 Member

+65
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced

11. Jeff11

Jeff11 Member

+65
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    He was.

Now he’s a libertarian who frequently criticizes conservatives and Republicans. He made a big statement about not voting for Trump years ago.

He had very little influence with many conservatives as a result. There’s nothing surprising about him criticizing republicans.

12. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Time was, most philosophical libertarians were republicans. Goldwater, for example.

Now that most republicans are devout statists, not so much. Hence George Will, The Lincoln Project, William Kristol, et al.

13. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+2,181
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Yeah but during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars he was with Bush/Cheney, who were
    far from being Reagan/Buckley type conservatives.

14. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Kind of neocon, conservatives with an aggressive military stance.

15. Jeff11

Jeff11 Member

+65
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    Libertarians generally criticize both parties so they lean more Republican since Democrats are so far out in left field and illogical.

16. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Lately, not so much. Which is why libertarians like Kristol and Will and the Lincoln Project are hammering the wreck that the republican party has become.

17. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Will considers the weirdo factor of the new republican party.

18. Jeff11

Jeff11 Member

+65
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    He’s make some interesting comments but the simple way to get Republicans on board with the results of the election is to simply require people to submit ID when you vote. In California you don’t have to have an ID to vote plus sending out ballots for vote by mail which you don’t know for sure who actually filled it out these are legitimate criticisms of the election process but the Democrats want to completely ignore it.

19. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+15,287
    Christian
    Married
    That is the delusion of an evil spirit, I keep telling you.

20. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+2,774
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There it is... not offense I was wondering when. Now since were sharing how we feel for me one man right now has REALLY made the difference. Its shocking how fast things can change in months and then keep changing. My gas $1.26 vs $4.06.. so yeah one man one group DEM"S can really make the difference. Lol been around for a while now and .. both sides do this.. and if you stand only on one side.. you will never see clearly.