George W. Bush: Bigotry and white supremacy are 'blasphemy' against the American creed

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
George W. Bush: Bigotry and white supremacy are 'blasphemy' against the American creed
Former President George W. Bush condemned bigotry and white supremacy Thursday while endorsing policies that run counter to those supported by President Donald Trump.

"Our identity as a nation, unlike other nations, is not determined by geography or ethnicity, by soil or blood. ... This means that people from every race, religion, ethnicity can be full and equally American," he said during remarks at the George W. Bush Institute in New York City. "It means that bigotry and white supremacy, in any form, is blasphemy against the American creed."

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bigotry and any kind of racial supremacy are indeed contrary to what the US is supposed to stand for. People can be bigoted or racist or many other unsavory things. What I find dishonest is Bush claiming that a policy is bigoted or supremacist just because it is not what he prefers. What I find funny is when some of the same people that were comparing Bush to Hitler and calling for him to be impeached, saying he was a puppet of Chaney and vested interests, a cowboy with little intellectual ability etc. just a few years ago now quoting him as if they considered him to be some kind of wise moral authority. Politics certainly does make strange bedfellows and the enemy of my enemy is often considered a temporary friend. When Bush apologizes for bailing out banks, getting us into Iraq, and signing the Patriot Act into law, I will listen to something else he has to say.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I find funny is when some of the same people that were comparing Bush to Hitler and calling for him to be impeached, saying he was a puppet of Chaney and vested interests, a cowboy with little intellectual ability etc. just a few years ago now quoting him as if they considered him to be some kind of wise moral authority. Politics certainly does make strange bedfellows and the enemy of my enemy is often considered a temporary friend. When Bush apologizes for bailing out banks, getting us into Iraq, and signing the Patriot Act into law, I will listen to something else he has to say.
I see it as a problem when one cannot agree with someone on some views if they don't agree with them on other views.
Basically that is the same as saying, my way or no way.

I agree with you on the three things you hold against Bush but that isn't going to stop me from commending him for what he said in this speech.
It is no wonder the Congress cannot accomplish anything when this attitude of my way or no way prevails.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bigotry and any kind of racial supremacy are indeed contrary to what the US is supposed to stand for. People can be bigoted or racist or many other unsavory things. What I find dishonest is Bush claiming that a policy is bigoted or supremacist just because it is not what he prefers. What I find funny is when some of the same people that were comparing Bush to Hitler and calling for him to be impeached, saying he was a puppet of Chaney and vested interests, a cowboy with little intellectual ability etc. just a few years ago now quoting him as if they considered him to be some kind of wise moral authority. Politics certainly does make strange bedfellows and the enemy of my enemy is often considered a temporary friend. When Bush apologizes for bailing out banks, getting us into Iraq, and signing the Patriot Act into law, I will listen to something else he has to say.
Who knew he could be a less scarier president. Then the one we got now.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bigotry and any kind of racial supremacy are indeed contrary to what the US is supposed to stand for. People can be bigoted or racist or many other unsavory things. What I find dishonest is Bush claiming that a policy is bigoted or supremacist just because it is not what he prefers. What I find funny is when some of the same people that were comparing Bush to Hitler and calling for him to be impeached, saying he was a puppet of Chaney and vested interests, a cowboy with little intellectual ability etc. just a few years ago now quoting him as if they considered him to be some kind of wise moral authority. Politics certainly does make strange bedfellows and the enemy of my enemy is often considered a temporary friend.

That's how much worse the Republican party has gotten.

When Bush apologizes for bailing out banks, getting us into Iraq, and signing the Patriot Act into law, I will listen to something else he has to say.

Nobody should apologize for bailing out the banks. Doing that saved the rest of us from an even worse fate and everybody involved (on either side of the aisle) ought to be thanked for acting as quickly and as decisively as they did. The problem wasn't in bailing them out; the problem was in letting them get to that point in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
T

Nobody should apologize for bailing out the banks. Doing that saved the rest of us from an even worse fate and everybody involved (on either side of the aisle) ought to be thanked for acting as quickly and as decisively as they did. The problem wasn't in bailing them out; the problem was in letting them get to that point in the first place.

Everyone ought to apologize for corporate welfare. You can believe,on faith alone, that some horrible fate would occur if politicians aren't allowed to prop up failed corporations if you like to, but I am not buying that prophecy because I do not believe in the honesty or objectivity of those that came up with it. From my perspective, insisting that only one course of action( the one they and their cronies profited from) could have staved off some looming catastrophe that we are just expected to assume would have taken place otherwise is simply the way a con man gets the mark to go along with fleeced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone ought to apologize for corporate welfare. You can believe,on faith alone, that some horrible fate would occur if politicians aren't allowed to prop up failed corporations if you like to, but I am not buying that prophecy because I do not believe in the honesty or objectivity of those that came up with it. From my perspective, insisting that only one course of action( the one they and their cronies profited from) could have staved off some looming catastrophe that we are just expected to assume would have taken place otherwise is simply the way a con man gets the mark to go along with fleeced.

If you live off the grid or have somehow otherwise managed to remove from your life the influence of and reliance upon all the large and mid-sized corporations that utilize the banking that would've shut down, then maybe you've got a point.

Most people aren't quite so disconnected.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I see it as a problem when one cannot agree with someone on some views if they don't agree with them on other views.
Basically that is the same as saying, my way or no way.

I agree with you on the three things you hold against Bush but that isn't going to stop me from commending him for what he said in this speech.
It is no wonder the Congress cannot accomplish anything when this attitude of my way or no way prevails.

I believe it's more annoyance in how people who were setting their hair on fire over Bush now quote him when it pushes their narrative. Yeah, I have no qualms with what he said about white supremacy, but had he qualified it with any sort of racial supremacy, or called out racism in general, I highly doubt this would've gotten posted.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I have no qualms with what he said about white supremacy, but had he qualified it with any sort of racial supremacy, or called out racism in general, I highly doubt this would've gotten posted.
??
White supremacy is racial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
OK
I've never heard anyone say that.

Linking to other people's posts can be considered 'flaming' for whatever bizarre reason, but basically it rests on the idea that racism = power + prejudice.

• Informative
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Linking to other people's posts can be considered 'flaming' for whatever bizarre reason, but basically it rests on the idea that racism = power + prejudice.
Really. Well they are not very well versed. I have been on Native American reservations and outside the reservation been involved in common interests with them and I can tell you that some of them are quite racist and it had nothing to do with power.
It's the same with some of the Latinos and Hispanics, they don't want their kid dating a white kid for no other reason than they are white.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married