George Monbiot: This cold weather is caused by – you guessed it – global warming!

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither one is a doctrine of faith, so one can reject both and still be a faithful Catholic.
not going to argue this point, not going to suggest it affects his salvation according to catholic doctrine, but the viewpoint espoused is clearly not in line with what the church teaches.

...and having read the posts to follow i cannot understand why anyone would continue to give this poster attention when his opinions on the matter are so clearly political...

every scientist who believes in ACC hates the republican party?! because there are no climate scientists outside of the US! not to mention the scientists already posted by other members...and what did you gain by giving in to his nonsense?

please, everyone, ignore this tripe...you have nothing to gain by continuing to argue with someone who will under no circumstances change his mind...its really rather childish.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
every scientist who believes in ACC hates the republican party?
That's been demonstrated by the examples that were given in this thread.
because there are no climate scientists outside of the US!
The past couple of POTUS elections have shown that the two US political parties are a major interest to people in many countries outside of the US. Obama even began his election campaign overseas. And in both elections of Obama the people in other countries who support the US Democrat's party were shown on the news celebrating his election.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And in both elections of Obama the people in other countries who support the US Democrat's party were shown on the news celebrating his election.

That would be the US Democratic Party.

If facts matter to you that is.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many do "believe" in global warming. Pop culture believes in this. Believing that humans can control the weather takes faith. And science has become the religion of the post-Christian world. In this religion, the dogma says that no matter what happens one has to believe that "global warming" or "climate change" did it. I've never said that I reject all of what science has to say. I just treat what they say with skepticism when it's a political hot-button issue. It used to be that skepticism, rather than belief, was the first working principle of science.

Fact 1: CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Fact 2: We're increasing the concentration in the atmosphere.

It takes faith to believe nothing will happen.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That would be the US Democratic Party.

If facts matter to you that is.
The Democrat's party is a grammatically correct way of saying it.
Who else is in possession of that political party but the Democrats?

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What's the difference? They are Democrats.

The difference is Thomas Jefferson named the party the "democratic" party not the democrat party

Why do you hate the founding fathers ?

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fact 1: CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Fact 2: We're increasing the concentration in the atmosphere.

It takes faith to believe nothing will happen.

Talking about carbon dioxide (not the harmful carbon monoxide)? Carbon dioxide is the gas that our health and science classes would tell us that plants breathe in and exchange it for oxygen? And don't we NEED oxygen?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Talking about carbon dioxide (not the harmful carbon monoxide)? Carbon dioxide is the gas that our health and science classes would tell us that plants breathe in and exchange it for oxygen? And don't we NEED oxygen?

That's like saying we need heat so we should burn our house down.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's like saying we need heat so we should burn our house down.

No it's not. It's just about greening the planet so that we can have enough oxygen to live.

I'm surprised, somehow there isn't faith in God's work and that he did set up that natural exchange system of us providing carbon dioxide to the plants who in turn supply us with oxygen.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised, somehow there isn't faith in God's work and that he did set up that natural exchange system of us providing carbon dioxide to the plants who in turn supply us with oxygen.

This statement is so ignorant of the way the "exchange system" works that it would be unworthy of my time to point out how many ways this is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Then explain where we get oxygen. Is it static? (It's been there since God created the earth and is only getting less and less over the years?) Or do plants take in carbon dioxide and give us oxygen in return? If that is so, why do we want to limit the oxygen that we need?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Then explain where we get oxygen. Is it static? (It's been there since God created the earth and is only getting less and less over the years?) Or do plants take in carbon dioxide and give us oxygen in return? If that is so, why do we want to limit the oxygen that we need?

Oy. I'm going to explain this and you're going to then say something unrelated and it's going to annoy and frustrate me but I'm willing to give it a go...

Let's say you have to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen using plants. The plants can only convert so much based upon how many plants there are. Overloading one side doesn't create more oxygen. It just builds up carbon dioxide in the air.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oy. I'm going to explain this and you're going to then say something unrelated and it's going to annoy and frustrate me but I'm willing to give it a go...

Let's say you have to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen using plants. The plants can only convert so much based upon how many plants there are. Overloading one side doesn't create more oxygen. It just builds up carbon dioxide in the air.

besides, we don't want too much oxygen either. We'd all catch on fire.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, and it is also released by burning fossil fuels. We're literally burning lakes of oil and other carbon rich fuels and it's changing the composition of the atmosphere. That in turn is causing the planet to warm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Science makes mistakes and then changes their position.
That's why last year's science book is always considered out of date.

Therefore, I shall reject all scientific claims when I don't want them to be true.

Logic.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Carbon monoxide is different from carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide is the poisonous gas that is cased from burning fossil fuels. Carbon dioxide is not.

And I never claimed that belief in Global Warming is against God. (I am more than aware that the men who are Bishops in the Church have "pinned" their hopes on Global Warming being true.) I have just noted the lack of faith in God's creation and the audacity of man to think that WE can somehow be gods and effect what God has wrought.

As far as I am concerned, God does not make junk. He made the earth and we are just stewards of what He made and ordained.

Upvote 0