George Monbiot: This cold weather is caused by – you guessed it – global warming!

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I posted an article with five republican scientists who are trying to convince the gop to give up the charade.
So you provided 5 "republican scientists" who are against the Republican party. Sounds fishy to me.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Who can deny that the tax raising proponents of global warming cannot even agree whether the globe is warming or not? this is why climate change is now their preferred term and of course raising taxes goes with it.

I think that every one of the proponents of global warming can agree that the globe is warming, and the fact that you can seemingly write that this is not the case shows you cannot reason.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok, but you told us to show you one example so you could rebut them. We have given you several. Rebut them with fact. Not anecdotes and opinion. Let's see it.
I said that if you show me a scientist who believes in global warming I would show you one who hates conservatives and who hates the Republican party. And so far you have shown me scientists who hate the Republican party and who hate conservatives.

If someone hates the right it means they are to the left.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep, more extremes. We just finished the hottest summer on record.

Isn't it just amazing how they magically come up with this stuff when

Summer 2014 is the coldest in a decade | New York Post

Coolest Summer On Record In The US | Real Science

Coldest Summer Ever? 2014 keeps setting record low temps

July 2014 becomes the top tenth coldest on record

July Summer Chill Sweeps U.S.: Alabama sees 108-year old temp record broken – Memphis has Coldest July Day Ever | Climate Depot

The summer of 2014 has been the coolest summer on record for the U.S. | Poor Richard's News

and on and on. Oh, you say, that's just the US, what about Australia?

"This is just a small sample in SE Australia but it does show that the summer was unusually angry here only because the tantrum in 1906 and the furniture throwing of 1939 were ignored (let alone the ridiculous heat of the 19th century that went berserk and killed hundreds in Bourke)."

Australia’s History of Hot Tempers | Watts Up With That?

In the great heatwave of 1896, with nearly 200 deaths, the temperature at Bourke did not fall below 45.6 degC for six weeks, and the maximum was 53.3 degC. Bushfires raged throughout NSW and 66 people perished in the heat.

In 1897, Perth had an 18 day heatwave with a record of 43.3 degC. Other heatwaves were reported at Winton, 1891, Melbourne 1892, Boulia 1901, Sydney 1903, Perth 1906 and so on.

Why don’t we hear of these severe heatwaves from the past? Simple – the government Bureau of Meteorology conveniently ignores all temperature records before 1910.
Australian heatwaves are nothing new | Watts Up With That?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
parousia70,

See post #3 in this thread.

I saw it before I posted.
You would have an argument if, after the graph was manipulated in your examples, the trend went in the opposite direction.

The trend is still warming, no matter how far you zoom in or out.

Now, just who is it who is trying to tell you the world is getting colder because of Global Warming?

Cosmic Charlie laid it out fairly clearly in post #43 of this thread when he said:
It's cold in North America because:

1) It's winter
2) The jet stream is sagging way to far south and not bottling up the air in the Northern part of the planet.

The jet stream is sagging because:

The temperature gradient between the north and south is too low to hold the jet stream in the place it has been for the last, like 40,000 years.

This is cause by the warming of the planet.

North America is cold as a direct and predictable result of the warming of the air caused by the evaporation of the oceans put too much moisture in the air, causing the Jet Stream to sink to the South.

This was predicted 20 years ago by every credible climate model is use at the time.

It just happened 25 years early than predicted. Because the planet is warming faster than predicted.

Please show us why what he said above is factually incorrect.

Feel free to get as sciency as you can.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
I said that if you show me a scientist who believes in global warming I would show you one who hates conservatives and who hates the Republican party. And so far you have shown me scientists who hate the Republican party and who hate conservatives.

Except you have no idea what they think of the republican party. You only know what they think of climate change. Is disbelieving in climate change is a requirement to be in the republican party? Is that what you're saying? And believing that climate change is real means you "hate conservatives?" You are boxing out a lot of conservatives.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I saw it before I posted.
You would have an argument if, after the graph was manipulated in your examples, the trend went in the opposite direction.

The trend is still warming, no matter how far you zoom in or out.
How old is the world? What portion of that time is the record you speak of taking into account?
The ice age was extreme. Was that caused by humans?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How old is the world?

Depends on who you ask.
Somewhere between 6000 and 4.5 Billion years.

What portion of that time is the record you speak of taking into account?

1880- Today, give or take a decade

The ice age was extreme. Was that caused by humans?

Nope. Neither was the extinction of the Dinosaurs.

What does that have to do with anything?

Are you saying that since non human caused climate change has happened over the course of Earth's history, this automatically excludes Humans from being the cause of the current climate flux?

Where's the math that supports that?

And hopefully you are working on your scienc-ish rebuttal to Cosmic Charlies post?

Or maybe you don't have one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or maybe you don't have one?
Even if a summer was "the hottest one on record" it doesn't prove that scientist know what the weather will be far into the future. And it doesn't prove that the weather is controllable by humans.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Even if a summer was "the hottest one on record" it doesn't prove that scientist know what the weather will be far into the future. And it doesn't prove that the weather is controllable by humans.

Ok, weather may not be "controllable" by humans, but the atmosphere and greenhouse gases are most definitely "damageable" by humans. And that's what causes climate change. Here's something else. Weather changes are a symptom of climate change. They are not the totality of climate change. Do some research. Or, don't and continue to believe a fairybtale because it makes you feel good.

I guess you are not going to disenfranchise the republican scientists who know that climate change is real. If you're going to make points to thinking people and not back them up with facts, why are you even debating this?

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Isn't it just amazing how they magically come up with this stuff when

Summer 2014 is the coldest in a decade | New York Post

Coolest Summer On Record In The US | Real Science

Coldest Summer Ever? 2014 keeps setting record low temps

July 2014 becomes the top tenth coldest on record

July Summer Chill Sweeps U.S.: Alabama sees 108-year old temp record broken – Memphis has Coldest July Day Ever | Climate Depot

The summer of 2014 has been the coolest summer on record for the U.S. | Poor Richard's News

and on and on. Oh, you say, that's just the US, what about Australia?

"This is just a small sample in SE Australia but it does show that the summer was unusually angry here only because the tantrum in 1906 and the furniture throwing of 1939 were ignored (let alone the ridiculous heat of the 19th century that went berserk and killed hundreds in Bourke)."

Australia’s History of Hot Tempers | Watts Up With That?

In the great heatwave of 1896, with nearly 200 deaths, the temperature at Bourke did not fall below 45.6 degC for six weeks, and the maximum was 53.3 degC. Bushfires raged throughout NSW and 66 people perished in the heat.

In 1897, Perth had an 18 day heatwave with a record of 43.3 degC. Other heatwaves were reported at Winton, 1891, Melbourne 1892, Boulia 1901, Sydney 1903, Perth 1906 and so on.

Why don’t we hear of these severe heatwaves from the past? Simple – the government Bureau of Meteorology conveniently ignores all temperature records before 1910.
Australian heatwaves are nothing new | Watts Up With That?

All your links are from half way through the summer. Here's a more updated one. Also, you need to consider the entire earth not isolated locations.

2014 was a summer sizzler: Earth's hottest on record

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All your links are from half way through the summer. Here's a more updated one. Also, you need to consider the entire earth not isolated locations.

2014 was a summer sizzler: Earth's hottest on record

Uh huh. That's what happens when you say "The global temperature for summer was 1.28 degrees above the 20th-century average of 61.5 degrees." Neat trick, but we're on to you. It ignores the record highs of the 30s and the lows in other parts of the record, and averages it out to a nice singular number that, when you add the ocean temps (and they claim to know ocean temps for the whole world down to a hundredths of a degree! Right!) which only began to be recorded in 1979, you can say "it was the hottest summer! Ever! Despite all the record setting cold!"

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Uh huh. That's what happens when you say "The global temperature for summer was 1.28 degrees above the 20th-century average of 61.5 degrees." Neat trick, but we're on to you. It ignores the record highs of the 30s and the lows in other parts of the record, and averages it out to a nice singular number that, when you add the ocean temps (and they claim to know ocean temps for the whole world down to a hundredths of a degree! Right!) which only began to be recorded in 1979, you can say "it was the hottest summer! Ever! Despite all the record setting cold!"

What record in the 1930's?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I work with a lot of scientists, and Every one of them that I have spoken to about it believe in global warming and climate change and believe that humans are influencing it. Some are liberals, some are conservatives, most don't strongly identify as either. When you make statements like this one on a Catholic board you invite mockery to our faith.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I work with a lot of scientists, and Every one of them that I have spoken to about it believe in global warming and climate change and believe that humans are influencing it. Some are liberals, some are conservatives, most don't strongly identify as either. When you make statements like this one on a Catholic board you invite mockery to our faith.
Many do "believe" in global warming. Pop culture believes in this. Believing that humans can control the weather takes faith. And science has become the religion of the post-Christian world. In this religion, the dogma says that no matter what happens one has to believe that "global warming" or "climate change" did it. I've never said that I reject all of what science has to say. I just treat what they say with skepticism when it's a political hot-button issue. It used to be that skepticism, rather than belief, was the first working principle of science.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many do "believe" in global warming. Pop culture believes in this. Believing that humans can control the weather takes faith. And science has become the religion of the post-Christian world. In this religion, the dogma says that no matter what happens one has to believe that "global warming" or "climate change" did it. I've never said that I reject all of what science has to say. I just treat what they say with skepticism when it's a political hot-button issue. It used to be that skepticism, rather than belief, was the first working principle of science.

No, what you said was "I said that if you show me a scientist who believes in global warming I would show you one who hates conservatives and who hates the Republican party. And so far you have shown me scientists who hate the Republican party and who hate conservatives.

If someone hates the right it means they are to the left."
and it was a ridiculous statement that you should feel some shame over making. Now, after it has been demonstrated that you have unjustly accused people you have never met of something they haven't done, you waffle.

Upvote 0