Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Haven't read Curdie and the Princess, how does it differ from the Princess and the Goblin? hehe.

I've read... and pretty much recommend them all..
The Lady of the Mansion (aka The Portent/The Second Sight, I think it might have been slightly abridged)
The Flight of the Shadow
The Shopkeeper's Daughter - sadly, not the original. Can't find the original...
The Seaboard Parish - one of three in a series, haven't found the other two yet.
The Last Castle
Lilith
Phantastes

Can't think of any more at the moment. Read some of his sermons though. :)

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Curdie and the Princess is the sequel to The Princess and the Goblin. It had a stunning idea that haunts me to this day, where Curdie had to hold his hand in a flame (he was preparing to do a quest) until it turned white, then he had the ability to tell if a person was regressing (into a beast) or progressing in their spiritual life by touching their hand. He would see them as the thing they were becoming.

The end of the book was a total let down though. The Princess and Curdie go through SO MUCH and with much divine help, only to have their established kingdom deteriorate to shambles in a few generations.
Realistic view of this fallen world I guess.

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MacDonald had some awesome ideas ;) hehe. I figured it was the sequel, but I actually haven't read either one... need to get those from the library still.

What did you think of Lilith? I don't remember as much from Phantastes, Lilith was interesting though... :)

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
/me wonders why she would click just so she could say she clicked on a thread started by some weirdo :eek: ;)

/me says that George MacDonald was a 19th century (that means 1800's. ;)) Scottish author, that lived in the 19th century. He was born in the 19th century and he lived in Scotland!

.... :p

George MacDonald, Scottish author, I think he was technically presbyterian. He had a few messed up theological views :angel: but he was a Christian. He wrote a lot of Christian Fiction, or at least fiction that included a LOT of Christianity, blatantly... pastors, people expressing their faith in God, etc. He also wrote The Princess and the Goblin, of which you might've heard, hehe. He wrote lots of other "faerie tales" as he spelled it, and influenced C. S. Lewis and Tolkien massively. In fact, C. S. Lewis once stated that he never wrote a book without quoting, directly or indirectly, from MacDonald! =D Something to that effect.

He wrote lots of "old style" fiction... stuff set in the 19th century, 16th century, etc. Not weird stuff, very down to earth stuff, though also in that Romantic kind of blindness... as in, not everyone in the middle ages being a knight in shining armor. If any. hehe. But not quite King Arthurish. hehe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've read The Light Princess, The Wise Woman or the Lost Princess (? think that's the title), Behind the North Wind, Curdie and the Princess, The Princess and the Goblin, and I have The Shopkeeper's Daughter, Lilith, and a collection of short stories but I haven't read all of them yet.

Upvote 0

Muzza

Jan 14, 2004
Palmerston North
✟15,381.00
Faith
Christian
Ive read a handful of his books. 'The Wise Woman', 'The Light Princess', 'The Golden Key', 'Princess and the Goblin', 'Curdie and the Princess' and a few others I think.

Absolutely love his writing. Yeah you're right Paul, his style of writing isnt quite in the Arthurian legend mindset. Its very allegorical in its makeup. Always a very definite message or parallel to real life.

Here are two of my favourite quotes of his:

"There are victories far worse than defeat, and to overcome an angel too gentle to put out all his strength, and ride away in triumph on the back of a devil, is one of the poorest"
George MacDonald

"There are victories far worse than defeat, and to overcome an angel too gentle to put out all his strength, and ride away in triumph on the back of a devil, is one of the poorest"
George MacDonald

Both quotes are from 'The Wise Woman', which is definitely one of his best books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums