United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
George H.W. Bush dies at 94

Former President George Herbert Walker Bush, who navigated the United States through the end of the Cold War and a realignment of American relations with the Middle East, died Friday. He was 94.

His death was confirmed in a statement released by his office. “George H.W. Bush was a man of highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for,” the statement quoted his son, former President George W. Bush, as saying.

He had a long life.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
May he rest in peace. I do not remember his term ( As he was president when I was born), but from what I understand he was a great man that did a lot for our country and at 94 lived a heck of a life.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He was a navy pilot in WWII and flew 58 combat missions, and was shot down once.
He went on to serve the country for the rest of his working life.

Praying for the family.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-mourns-george-h-w-bush-recalls-role-in-ending-cold-war/

Leaders across Europe paid tribute on Saturday to former U.S. President George H. W. Bush following his death at the age of 94, with Germany hailing him for helping to reunify the country and end the Cold War.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said his country was mourning “a great statesman and friend of Germany.”

“We owe thanks to him not least for the reunification of our country. In 1989, at a time of radical change and challenges, as the blocs wavered and the decades-long confrontation began to crumble, he courageously seized the chance to end the Cold War,” Maas said in a statement.

“He is also an architect of German unity. He supported it without reservation from the beginning,” he said, adding this was something “we will never forget.”​

Upvote 0

PaoloPorini1972

Nov 29, 2018
California
✟1,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
May he rest in peace. I do not remember his term ( As he was president when I was born), but from what I understand he was a great man that did a lot for our country and at 94 lived a heck of a life.

He was not without his controversies. But in the fullness of time we always get a more nuanced and balanced view. For a one-termer coming off the Reagan "Revolution" he definitely seemed more "workman-like" in his approach to the job which is probably a good thing. We don't need a non-stop line of super-celebrities in the office. Sometimes we need a kinda dull guy who does the job.

Upvote 0

PaoloPorini1972

Nov 29, 2018
California
✟1,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
He was a navy pilot in WWII and flew 58 combat missions, and was shot down once.

Praying for the family.

I always thought it was cool that he named is his plane after Barbara! And to be shot down, if I recall, closer to enemy ships than would be comfortable, means he wasn't just an office wonk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

He was a good man, somewhat above average president (showed wise restraint in the first Gulf War; got blamed for a recession, but that was mostly Reaganomics come home to roost), and was an all around decent human being.

Rest in Peace.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
His life here on Earth has ended, but the wisdom he imparted will continue to flourish and enrich the lives of all who utilize it, regardless of their political leanings. I'm grateful my grandpa gave me his book, All the Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings, which is a collection of letters, diary entries, and memos from the president.

My advice to young people might be as follows:

1. Don't get down when your life takes a bad turn. Out of adversity comes challenge and often success.
2. Don't blame others for your setbacks.
3. When things go well, always give credit to others.
4. Don't talk all the time. Listen to your friends and mentors and learn from them.
5. Don't brag about yourself. Let others point out your virtues, your strong points.
6. Give someone else a hand. When a friend is hurting, show that friend you care.
7. Nobody likes an overbearing big shot.
8. As you succeed, be kind to people. Thank those who help you along the way.
9. Don't be afraid to shed a tear when your heart is broken because a friend is hurting.
10. Say your prayers!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Praying for the family.

In 1997, the Canadian author and war hero General Richard Rohmer met President George H.W. Bush at a Toronto event organized by former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

“Mr. President, you and I are contemporaries. When you were flying in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific, I was flying Mustangs in Normandy with the Royal Canadian Air Force,” Rohmer told the former commander in chief.

To this, Bush gave the retired general a surprise reply: The two of them could easily have been much closer contemporaries than Rohmer suspected.

“General, nobody knows this, but by the end of 1941, just before December 7th that year, I was planning to come to Canada to join the Royal Canadian Air Force,” With the United States neutral in the first two years of the Second World War, the easiest way for an American to fight Nazi Germany was to cross the border and enlist with the Canadians.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a young person, I did not fully appreciate H.W.'s humility nor the principles by which he lived his life...and led our nation.

"No President, no government can teach us to remember what is best in what we are. But if the man you have chosen to lead this government can help make a difference; if he can celebrate the quieter, deeper successes that are made not of gold and silk but of better hearts and finer souls; if he can do these things, then he must. America is never wholly herself unless she is engaged in high moral principle. We as a people have such a purpose today. It is to make kinder the face of the Nation and gentler the face of the world.
"

George H.W. Bush - Inaugural address -- January, 29, 1989

January 20, 1989: Inaugural Address | Miller Center

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0