Geology challenge *repost*

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Since my previous challenge got lost in the crash, I decided to repost it (it had had yet to be met).

The challenge is simple: Find a geologist who disagrees with the current accepted age of the Earth (~4.5 billion years), but does so for reasons independent of any religious convictions.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Pete Harcoff said:
Since my previous challenge got lost in the crash, I decided to repost it (it had had yet to be met).

The challenge is simple: Find a geologist who disagrees with the current accepted age of the Earth (~4.5 billion years), but does so for reasons independent of any religious convictions.

http://www.kjvbible.org/

Christian Geology Ministry

Upvote 0

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
In case someone hasn't figured it out from the last two posts.

Find a geologist who disagrees with the current accepted age of the Earth (~4.5 billion years), but does so for reasons independent of any religious convictions.
and the attempt to answer the challenge:
blahblahblah.org, Christian Geology Ministry
duhhhhh...

Talk about derailing a thread :) By the way, thanks for reposting this thread, Pete.

Upvote 0

DrLao

Jun 19, 2002
KCK
Visit site
✟756.00
Faith
Atheist
ashibaka said:
In case someone hasn't figured it out from the last two posts.

Find a geologist who disagrees with the current accepted age of the Earth (~4.5 billion years), but does so for reasons independent of any religious convictions.
and the attempt to answer the challenge:
blahblahblah.org, Christian Geology Ministry
duhhhhh...

Talk about derailing a thread :)
It would also help if the linked site actually had geologists who disagreed with the current accepted age of the Earth. Given that the Christian Geology Ministry is a group of old-Earth creationists, that ain't likely.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Pete Harcoff said:
*bumpity bump*
This doesn't look promising for YEC....

Because you do not spend much time on creationist web sites.

"They have defined their syntheses of Flood geology and the GUC by the correlation of time boundaries in the GUC to those in Biblical history (Austin, 1994; Austin and Wise, 1994; Baumgardner, 1990; Snelling, Scheven, Garner, Ernst, Austin, Garton, Scheven, Wise, and Tyler, 1996)." http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/36/36_2/cfjrgulf.htm

Dr. Kurt Wise has his Phd. from Harvard.

Steven A. Austin has a Phd in Geology.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

JohnR7 said:
Because you do not spend much time on creationist web sites.
http://www.creationresearch.org/crsq/articles/36/36_2/cfjrgulf.htm

Dr. Kurt Wise has his Phd. from Harvard.

Steven A. Austin has a Phd in Geology.

argumentum ad verecundiam (appeal to authority fallacy.)

oh, and the point of this thread is:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
argumentum ad verecundiam (appeal to authority fallacy.)

What false authority? They both have Phd's one of them from Harvard. who studied under the evolutionary notorious Gould. Does that bother you that it was Phd's that came up with the flood theory to explain a lot of what we find in the geology formations?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
you are getting hopelessly off topic anyway, it isn't the point of this thread. and you don't understand the appeal to authority fallacy either.

You asked for YEC geologists and I gave you two of them. How many more do you people want?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jet Black

Appeal to authority fallacy:

Dr Smith PhD says that the big bang is wrong, therefore it is wrong when

a) Dr Smith has his PhD in psychology
or
b) Dr Smith has a relevant PhD, but there is significant debate within the community over whether that theory is right or not
or
c) Dr Smith was Drunk/having a joke at the time.

of course if none of these three things are true, he may still be wrong of course, but at least then you can use the authority as a backing to some degree, since he is likely to have studied it in more depth than most other people.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
incidentally, no-one asked for YEC creationists, the challenge is to find a geologist who disputes the age of the earth without using religion or religious texts as a fallback.

What does that mean: "without using religion or religious texts as a fallback". Does that mean you get to change the rules and move the goal posts anytime you want :)

There are lots of Christian Geologist that do not accept evolution and who dispute the 4.5 billion year age for the earth.

The church I attend happens to be GAP. But you asked for a YEC Geologists and I found you some.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
JohnR7 said:
What false authority? They both have Phd's one of them from Harvard. who studied under the evolutionary notorious Gould. Does that bother you that it was Phd's that came up with the flood theory to explain a lot of what we find in the geology formations?

Both Wise and Austin believe in the young earth and global flood for religious reasons. Wise has admitted that he believes in the young earth because of scripture and would do so no matter what the evidence and Steve Austin was writing young earth creationist literature under the name of Stuart Nevins before ICR paid for his Ph.D research at Penn State. Thus they do not meet Pete's criteria.

I don't think there are any geologists who accepted the young earth and global flood based on evidence before becoming religious fundamentalist because all the evidence of geology is against such beliefs. After all the geologists who originally showed that the earth was old and that the flood of Noah did not cover the entire earth were Christians and creationists. There are former YEC geologists such as Davis Young and Glenn Morton who changed their interpretation of Scripture when they found that the evidence of the real world was so much against them but I don't think you can find any who became YECs because of evidence. The religious conversion to YEC is required to allow the distortion of geology and other sciences necesarry to cause them to undertake the vain attempt to reconcile YEC beliefs with science.

The Frumious Bandersnatch

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

JohnR7 said:
What does that mean: "without using religion or religious texts as a fallback". Does that mean you get to change the rules and move the goal posts anytime you want :)

I am not changing the goalposts and I didn't ask for any, you are the one who is hopelessly off topic, not me. lets go back to the original challenge:

Pete Harcoff said:

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Frumious Bandersnatch said:
I don't think you can find any who became YECs because of evidence.

The Bible is not evidence? You have to start with something.

You mean you want me to find a geologist who created something out of nothing. Even with a Phd, I think he would no longer be a scientist if he tried to create something out of nothing.

Is there not some sort of proceedure people have to follow in order to be a scientist?

Upvote 0