Genocide

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
So, I just watched Hotel Rwanda, and I'm feeling more furious than usual about politics and international relations...which I suppose was the purpose of the movie. I already knew of the situation, of course, and many others, but this viewing stirred it all up again.

My question is this: what can one individual do to work against such slaughter? Politically, financially, in the media, etc? What actions can one take?

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FunkyBrother said:
Did you know that since 1900 more Christians have been killed by genocide than any other religion?

The media keep that one quiet

I'd be interested to see some numbers on that one.

Upvote 0

Gaston

The Revealing Science of God
Mar 1, 2005
✟938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Greens
FunkyBrother said:
Did you know that since 1900 more Christians have been killed by genocide than any other religion?

Completely false. How can it be the Christians being killed by genocide when it's Christian civilization's committing the genocide?

More Christians have been killed than the holocaust? More than 6 million Christians?

Sure.

Gaston

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My own take is that we can exert what little pressure is possible on our local representative to make sure that they know that we are thoroughly disgusted with what the security council have allowed the UN to become, that we still believe in its founding mission, and that we want to see it reformed and beefed up to suit its role and become effective, whether global superpowers like it or not.

It's the same as most of these things, in isolation we can only have an effect on those we directly come into contact with, but if we attempt to come into constructive contact with as many of the people who matter, and if others also care enough to follow this course of action then there is a chance it will make a difference.

I find watching ants encouraging! :)

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Milla said:
Again I ask: What can a person do?

I guess that would depend on who you are and what resources you have at your disposal.

I don't run the military, so I can't send any troops. I don't own or manage any property in Rwanda, so I can't provide a place of refuge.

The best anyone can do is appeal to those who are in a position to send some kind of intervention.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
FunkyBrother said:

And if that is true (doubts) does that answer the question or have anything at all to do with the question? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Milla said:
So, I just watched Hotel Rwanda, and I'm feeling more furious than usual about politics and international relations...which I suppose was the purpose of the movie. I already knew of the situation, of course, and many others, but this viewing stirred it all up again.

My question is this: what can one individual do to work against such slaughter? Politically, financially, in the media, etc? What actions can one take?

One of the things we can do is demand the media hold governments responsible by shining the light of atrocities and pointing the finger at western governments who do nothing to stop it. The problem of course is if there is no real economic interest in helping, help rarely comes, or if it does it is several days late and lots of dollars short.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Another thing I have thought of which we can do is put pressure on Governments not to create these situations for us in the future - If Belgium had withdrawn from Rwanda in a more managed way, and had not reinforced rivalries between the Tutsi and Hutu before they left, if they had favoured neither ethnic group during their colonial period, and favoured neither as they left, there may not have been such strong backlash. My understanding is that the Belgians used the Tutsi as their governing elite during colonialism, and then handed power to the Hutu when they left opening the door right up for reprisals. We need to be careful in situation where we meddle with countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan not to create time bomb situations for the future. Getting out quickly and cheaply is not always cost effective - you usually have to come back!

Upvote 0

FunkyBrother

Apr 7, 2005
Oldham
Visit site
✟8,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since the death of Jesus Christ, 2000 years ago:
  • 43 million Christians have become martyrs
  • Over 50% of these were in the last century alone
  • More than 200 million Christians face persecution each day – at least 60% of whom are children
  • Every day over 300 people are killed for their faith in Jesus Christ.
– World Evangelical Encyclopaedia

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FunkyBrother said:
Since the death of Jesus Christ, 2000 years ago:
  • 43 million Christians have become martyrs
  • Over 50% of these were in the last century alone
  • More than 200 million Christians face persecution each day – at least 60% of whom are children
  • Every day over 300 people are killed for their faith in Jesus Christ.
– World Evangelical Encyclopaedia

Some actual examples would be good.

And that doesn't fit the term genocide.

Upvote 0