Geneva Bible (GEN) - Study notes claiming Pope is anti-Christ.

R3van

Mar 28, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
✟8,139.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all, I am not creating this thread to cause controversy or partake in theological debate surrounding the subject of the Pope being the anti-Christ, but I'm sure this would be welcome in an appropriate context/forum.

I am here because I need help in my quest to obtain an authentic copy of the book which I believe was translated in Geneva during the reformation, apparently it contains study notes claiming that the Pope is the anti-Christ, for personal reasons I find such a concept/book highly valuable and I'm hoping someone on this forum knows about the different copies of the Geneva bible and how I could obtain the version that includes these specific study notes.

I am looking for a nice copy of the Geneva bible but unfortunatley not many publishers are producing it, there are 1 or 2 common items on the market but I am unsure of the notes within and do not know much about the various versions, I may get a copy published as a custom order as the current options on the market are limited, I like the old style binding and leather design, I could potentially get an original, but without knowledge of the version itself all is useless, I desire the copy with those notes saying (you know what).

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all, I am not creating this thread to cause controversy or partake in theological debate surrounding the subject of the Pope being the anti-Christ, but I'm sure this would be welcome in an appropriate context/forum.

I am here because I need help in my quest to obtain an authentic copy of the book which I believe was translated in Geneva during the reformation, apparently it contains study notes claiming that the Pope is the anti-Christ, for personal reasons I find such a concept/book highly valuable and I'm hoping someone on this forum knows about the different copies of the Geneva bible and how I could obtain the version that includes these specific study notes.

I am looking for a nice copy of the Geneva bible but unfortunatley not many publishers are producing it, there are 1 or 2 common items on the market but I am unsure of the notes within and do not know much about the various versions, I may get a copy published as a custom order as the current options on the market are limited, I like the old style binding and leather design, I could potentially get an original, but without knowledge of the version itself all is useless, I desire the copy with those notes saying (you know what).
https://www.apuritansmind.com/wp-content/uploads/PDF/GenevaBiblePatriotEdition.pdf

https://hawramani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/the-1599-geneva-bible-notes.pdf

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I have one ... brand new black leather still in the package ... it is the 1599 Geneva Bible. I believe that is the one you are looking for. It does have the reformers notes in it. A most interesting read.

I would be willing to sell it ... but I don't know what it would cost to ship it to Australia from the United States. If interested let PM me if you want to try and work something out.

God Bless.

• Optimistic
Reactions: R3van
Upvote 0

R3van

Mar 28, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
✟8,139.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

1599 PDF pages appear to be blank unfortunatley.

The provided 1599 Geneva bible notes claim:

"that beast is the Roman Empire, made long ago of civil, ecclesiastical: the chief head of which was then Boniface the eighth"

Where as third party claims:

The 1560 Geneva Bible translated Revelation 11:7 as, “And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that cometh out of the bottomless pit, shall make wars against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.” The study note attached to this verse stated the following:

"That is, the Pope which hathe his power out of hell and cometh thence."

Argh, I opened a can of worms didn't I? I think it's been revised, I'm after the original, I will need to do some research on this but thanks to all who can help, I will try to keep things documented.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"that beast is the Roman Empire, made long ago of civil, ecclesiastical: the chief head of which was then Boniface the eighth"

The 1560 Geneva Bible translated Revelation 11:7 as, “And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that cometh out of the bottomless pit, shall make wars against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.” The study note attached to this verse stated the following:

Argh, I opened a can of worms didn't I? I think it's been revised, I'm after the original, I will need to do some research on this but thanks to all who can help, I will try to keep things documented.
My copy has blank pages like any bible. But keep scrolling and it's all there.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have it both ways in Logos. I use it as my first choice in commentaries.

Upvote 0

R3van

Mar 28, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
✟8,139.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My copy has blank pages like any bible. But keep scrolling and it's all there.
I have it both ways in Logos. I use it as my first choice in commentaries.

Ah yes, I see it all now, my eyes are opened. Thank you.

I have one ... brand new black leather still in the package ... it is the 1599 Geneva Bible. I believe that is the one you are looking for. It does have the reformers notes in it. A most interesting read.

I would be willing to sell it ... but I don't know what it would cost to ship it to Australia from the United States. If interested let PM me if you want to try and work something out.

God Bless.

Hey I will consider your offer, what does your version say? Does it specifically say the Pope is the anti-Christ or does it say "that beast is the Roman Empire, made long ago of civil, ecclesiastical: the chief head of which was then Boniface the eighth"

Either way this so far has been less painful than I anticipated, cheers.

Upvote 0

R3van

Mar 28, 2020
Brisbane, Queensland
✟8,139.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Both are pretty good statements if you ask me, but apparently there is a version where the notes claim (you know what) I acknowledge that the 1599 patriot's edition (basically) says the exact same thing but still if it's true there are Geneva bibles out there with notes claiming such a statement I would be most intruiged, we'll see how this pans out.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both are pretty good statements if you ask me, but apparently there is a version where the notes claim (you know what) I acknowledge that the 1599 patriot's edition (basically) says the exact same thing but still if it's true there are Geneva bibles out there with notes claiming such a statement I would be most intruiged, we'll see how this pans out.
Most historic creeds from the Reformation era and following show the Papacy as the Antichrist. The London Baptist Confession too.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Jesse Johnson

Mar 2, 2020
Northeast
✟7,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Catholics were persecuted in America in the 19th century, and discriminated against in the early 20th. This didn't occur in a vacuum. Opposing views among people/people groups (unless human nature is tempered by the softening influence of the Holy Spirit) has always caused hatred (spiritual murder) beginning with Cain, who received the mark. Much as those who will persecute for beliefs in the time of the end will receive a mark.

Sorry, my remarks stem from a nagging curiosity about the nature of your personal reasons for your search for the book, especially after your mention of pain related to it.

As a person who subscribes to historicist eschatology, I can testify that no Catholic individual (including specific Pontiffs) is cursed or condemned by the antichrist prophecies. Every person, whatever their station, is free to serve God or serve Him not.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lee Stuvmen

If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
✟30,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is not in book form, but there is information available that I belief may touch upon exactly what you have requested. If nothing else, it is an incredible study of Scriptural prophecy.

www.sevenheadedscarletbeast.blogspot.com

Upvote 0