Genesis, how are women supposed to be treated?

Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are quite a few forums so hopefully this is the best one for me to post this question in. If anyone thinks there is a better forum for it let me know.

I am not a new Christian but it seems like this would be a basic question so that's why I am asking it here.

I recently started reading the Bible and it's the first time I have since I was a kid. I want to take it seriously and really learn the word of God and that is why I need answers to this question. In the Bible, I believe I was reading the NASB version, once Adam and Eve have eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and God comes to the garden he says to Eve,

To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply
Your pain in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you.”

I don't understand how I can live knowing I am born simply to be ruled over by men no matter what I do. I have only read the very beginning of the Bible and it is the Old Testament so for all I know I am mistaken in how I am thinking. Maybe something is said later on in the New Testament to change this.

So I suppose this is my question, are women permanently punished forevermore by being ruled over by men? OR is it that only once they are married they are to be ruled by their husband, but not by men in general?

If this is true how am I, as a woman, supposed to ever want to get married because I am no slave to anyone and don't wish to be ruled over by a man. I don't see anything deserving in men that they would get the right to rule over women.

If the first is true (that women are permanently punished by being ruled by men) I don't see how I can stay with my religion. I believe everyone deserves punishments for their sin but for our Lord to punish all women to the point where they are born to be ruled over by men seems so wrong I cannot bear to follow Christianity with this weighing over me.

Any comments are welcomed. Thanks.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The concept is that sin disordered creation. One sign of that disorder is pain and abuse. I’m not sure it’s a punishment so much as a consequence of sin. Abuse of women by men is sin, right?

One of our jobs is to resist sin, and restrain sinners from being able to cause damage. So yes, the pattern of abuse of women exist, and is a consequence of the fall. But this passage doesn’t mean we’re supposed to tolerate it. Rather, we’re supposed to resist it just as we resist all sin.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The concept is that sin disordered creation. One sign of that disorder is pain and abuse. I’m not sure it’s a punishment so much as a consequence of sin. Abuse of women by men is sin, right?

One of our jobs is to resist sin, and restrain sinners from being able to cause damage. So yes, the pattern of abuse of women exist, and is a consequence of the fall. But this passage doesn’t mean we’re supposed to tolerate it. Rather, we’re supposed to resist it just as we resist all sin.

My question did not have to do with abuse of women. I don't completely understand where you got that from my question or how to further explain it. The Bible says that a woman will look to her husband and he will rule over her. I don't think that means that God would excuse physical or any other kind of abuse. I never thought the verse implied abuse of any kind. Just that a woman will be, if anything, the weaker one in the relationship and will be, for lack of a better term, LED by a man. Or I suppose just simply ruled by him.

Do you understand more of what I was trying to get at now?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My question did not have to do with abuse of women. I don't completely understand where you got that from my question or how to further explain it. The Bible says that a woman will look to her husband and he will rule over her. I don't think that means that God would excuse physical or any other kind of abuse. I never thought the verse implied abuse of any kind. Just that a woman will be, if anything, the weaker one in the relationship and will be, for lack of a better term, LED by a man. Or I suppose just simply ruled by him.

Do you understand more of what I was trying to get at now?
In my view the "ruling" is not God's intended relationship, but a degenerated version of it, the consequence of the Fall. This isn't the respect that Paul expects wives to show to husbands, but something worse. Paul's approach is based on Gen 2, which certainly shows the man as in some sense head, but still they are created as partners and helper. The result of Gen 3 isn't that. Here's the comment from the Word commentary;

"Here it is more difficult to grasp the author’s precise intention. Evidently he does not regard female subordination to be a judgment on her sin. In that woman was made from man to be his helper and is twice named by man (2:23; 3:20) indicates his authority over her. It is therefore usually argued that “rule” here represents harsh exploitive subjugation, which so often characterizes woman’s lot in all sorts of societies. “ ‘To love and to cherish’ becomes ‘To desire and to dominate’ ” (Kidner, 71). Women often allow themselves to be exploited in this way because of their urge toward their husband: their sexual appetite may sometimes make them submit to quite unreasonable male demands. Once again woman’s life is blighted at the most profound level." [The commentary presents this as the majority view, but their own is slightly different. Though the difference is probably not relevant to this discussion.]

Gen 3:14-19 presents a series of changes which turn the good creation of Gen 1 and 2 into something painful. That's what the Fall does: it corrupts the world. But we're not stuck with it. That's what Christ is about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my view the "ruling" is not God's intended relationship, but a degenerated version of it, the consequence of the Fall. This isn't the respect that Paul expects wives to show to husbands, but something worse. Paul's approach is based on Gen 2, which certainly shows the man as in some sense head, but still they are created as partners and helper. The result of Gen 3 isn't that. Here's the comment from the Word commentary;

"Here it is more difficult to grasp the author’s precise intention. Evidently he does not regard female subordination to be a judgment on her sin. In that woman was made from man to be his helper and is twice named by man (2:23; 3:20) indicates his authority over her. It is therefore usually argued that “rule” here represents harsh exploitive subjugation, which so often characterizes woman’s lot in all sorts of societies. “ ‘To love and to cherish’ becomes ‘To desire and to dominate’ ” (Kidner, 71). Women often allow themselves to be exploited in this way because of their urge toward their husband: their sexual appetite may sometimes make them submit to quite unreasonable male demands. Once again woman’s life is blighted at the most profound level." [The commentary presents this as the majority view, but their own is slightly different. Though the difference is probably not relevant to this discussion.]

Gen 3:14-19 presents a series of changes which turn the good creation of Gen 1 and 2 into something painful. That's what the Fall does: it corrupts the world.

I'm not really sure how to follow most of what you're saying because I don't understand why a lot of it is brought up. If I'm missing your point I think it's because you're not explaining it completely. For example, all of the sudden you're bringing up Paul without a reason of why. I'm not sure how Paul's later actions have to do with what I'm asking I wish you would add some commentary as to how/why you decided to bring him up.

Yes, I agree the "ruling" is punishment but that's seems to be a given.

I also need some more background on why you all of the sudden brought up this commentary, where it's from exactly, and how it's relevant since it doesn't seem to be. The first part of the commentary could possibly be relevant but without any explanation it's just confusing and hard to follow/understand the point you're trying to make by bringing it up.

I understand the fall corrupts the world I wasn't confused on that either.

Overall, I'm either missing what your point is or you're misunderstanding my question. I'm just not seeing an answer to my original question or much relevant information on it.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss though.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Your original question was:

“I don't understand how I can live knowing I am born simply to be ruled over by men no matter what I do.”

My answer is that you aren’t born for that. You are born for the kind of relationship described in Gen 2, and by Paul. The “ruling” is a corruption of that. Because you (like all of us) live in a fallen world, it’s a risk you run. But it’s not God’s will, and as Christians our job is to help minimize the extent of the kinds of things described in Gen 3.

I quoted the commentary because you didn't think "rule" implied abuse. The commentary describes the common understanding of what the ruling means, and I believe it is proper to characterize it as abuse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your original question was:

“I don't understand how I can live knowing I am born simply to be ruled over by men no matter what I do.”

My answer is that you aren’t born for that. You are born for the kind of relationship described in Gen 2, and by Paul. The “ruling” is a corruption of that. Because you (like all of us) live in a fallen world, it’s a risk you run. But it’s not God’s will, and as Christians our job is to help minimize the extent of the kinds of things described in Gen 3.

I quoted the commentary because you didn't think "rule" implied abuse. The commentary describes the common understanding of what the ruling means, and I believe it is proper to characterize it as abuse.

Okay, I think I finally understand what you're saying. Let's see if I'm getting this right.

So God intended a different relationship for man and woman. But the result of eating from the tree was that on this earth we will now suffer from certain things we weren't supposed to. Like, for women we will now suffer from childbirth and be drawn to our husbands and he will rule over us. And men will now work the land the rest of their days (although that punishment didn't last, did it? I don't see many men suffering from doing this, but every women still suffers her period and pain during childbirth).

So, what does this mean then? Is this something that we can overcome during our lifetimes? What I mean by this is that if there weren't so much technology a man would not be able to escape working the land no matter how good of a man he was and women still haven't escaped painful periods and painful childbirth. Even if you live a good christian lifestyle you can't escape these things.

But wouldn't that mean that even living a good life with little sin will not change the fact that man will dominate over woman??? So ultimately this is still the fate that a woman CANNOT escape even though there is a way to heaven now because Jesus Christ died to save our sins. We can now go to Heaven but while we are living we will suffer in this sinful world which will make women lesser than men because of the beginning when Adam and Eve ate from the tree.

That being said, thank you for your responses. I now understand that when God said this to Adam and Eve he was not handing them this punishment but rather telling them what would happen as a result of them eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. At least, this is what I gathered from what you said. Correct me if I misunderstood.

I'm also not sure what Paul says about it, can you quote this? Thanks

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Calm down and quit trying to make the Scriptures say something that they don't say. God is merely saying that the husband is the head of the household, just like Jesus is the head of the Church.

If it upsets you so much to think that God has given someone authority over you then you should take it up with Him.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The curse in Gen 3 describes the fallen world. We are certainly allowed and even expected to oppose these things. Doctors have ways to deal with the pain of childbirth. We have various machines to help people control the amount of sweat involved in work, and farming techniques to separate the thorns and thistles from real food.

So Christians also oppose domination of women by men. Note that many Christians believe in male headship in marriage and in the Church. My tradition doesn’t, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I believe Gen 3 is speaking of more abusive things. John Calvin commented on Gen 3:16 “She had, indeed, previously been subject to her husband, but that was a liberal and gentle subjection; now, however, she is cast into servitude.” Christian men are expected not to do this, and we have laws to protect women (and others who are vulnerable).

We can’t entirely escape sin and the consequences in this life. But we can certainly work to avoid as much as possible. Jesus’ teaching was not just about how to get to heaven. He expected his followers to bring a little bit of the Kingdom of God to life now. Most of his teaching was about how to live as members of the Kingdom now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Calm down and quit trying to make the Scriptures say something that they don't say. God is merely saying that the husband is the head of the household, just like Jesus is the head of the Church.

If it upsets you so much to think that God has given someone authority over you then you should take it up with Him.

Blessings,

Alan

First, how is telling a person to calm down supposed to help in any way?

Second, I never once tried to change scripture. The only thing I've been doing is trying to figure out what the person responding to me is trying to say. If you're talking about my original question then that's why it was a question. Because I never claimed to change or TRY to change scripture but instead to find out if the passage I read means what I thought it did or if it means something else.

And now you're saying that God is saying a man is the head of the household. So is that all he's saying? And does this mean that before a woman is married she is not ruled by a man?

It is something that I will take up with God if I feel I need to, but I wanted a discussion (I do believe that's the whole point of this site) and possible answers and interpretation of the verse first.

Also, it was hard for me to get up the courage to even post on this site since it was my first time, I would appreciate it if you could take the time to see it from my perspective and find some sympathy for why I'm asking.

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The curse in Gen 3 describes the fallen world. We are certainly allowed and even expected to oppose these things. Doctors have ways to deal with the pain of childbirth. We have various machines to help people control the amount of sweat involved in work, and farming techniques to separate the thorns and thistles from real food.

So Christians also oppose domination of women by men. Note that many Christians believe in male headship in marriage and in the Church. My tradition doesn’t, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I believe Gen 3 is speaking of more abusive things. John Calvin commented on Gen 3:16 “She had, indeed, previously been subject to her husband, but that was a liberal and gentle subjection; now, however, she is cast into servitude.” Christian men are expected not to do this, and we have laws to protect women (and others who are vulnerable).

We can’t entirely escape sin and the consequences in this life. But we can certainly work to avoid as much as possible. Jesus’ teaching was not just about how to get to heaven. He expected his followers to bring a little bit of the Kingdom of God to life now. Most of his teaching was about how to live as members of the Kingdom now.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with this. I agree that many Christians still believe in male headship, but not all Christians. This means that depending who I'm asking some will indeed argue that men are the head, but it's not necessarily what I have to believe Jesus is saying or intending. Many of what you're quoting is from later on in the Bible so I realize I must continue reading before I can completely come to a decision on what this means to me.

I also agree that we are expected to fight against the sin of the fallen world, so it makes sense that as Christians we would fight against these punishments on earth and try to overcome them. Thank you for the help, I believe I understand now.

Blessings :)

Upvote 0

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hello, sometimes we need to read all of the Bible to get the full picture. Ephesians says it more clearly.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Here it is telling us that a husband should love his wife in the same way that Jesus loves the church and was willing to die for that church.
It is fairly easy to submit to a husband who loves you so much that he is willing to die for his wife.
But the term "rule" does not mean a commanding authority without first having the love.
Just as it is easy for all of us to be ruled by Jesus who loved us and did give his life for us even when we were still sinners and deserving hell.

The term "helper" or "help-meet" is better translated as rescuer.
The woman was originally created to rescue a man in the same way that an emt will rescue a person having a heart attack. Not medically, but in all of his needs.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Joy Town
✟15,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, sometimes we need to read all of the Bible to get the full picture. Ephesians says it more clearly.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Here it is telling us that a husband should love his wife in the same way that Jesus loves the church and was willing to die for that church.
It is fairly easy to submit to a husband who loves you so much that he is willing to die for his wife.
But the term "rule" does not mean a commanding authority without first having the love.
Just as it is easy for all of us to be ruled by Jesus who loved us and did give his life for us even when we were still sinners and deserving hell.

The term "helper" or "help-meet" is better translated as rescuer.
The woman was originally created to rescue a man in the same way that an emt will rescue a person having a heart attack. Not medically, but in all of his needs.

I certainly agree that I should finish reading the Bible and more of this will become clear to me. I have trouble with the analogy of husbands being compared to Jesus. No man is Jesus and I don't know if any man could ever love his wife the way Jesus loved the church (maybe I'm wrong...?) and either way no man is Jesus so I just have trouble with the analogy itself. But maybe I'm missing the point.

Does this mean that once a man gives his full love to his woman he will then have authority over her?

The analogy at the end certainly helps put some things into perspective.

Thank you for the response! :)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It’s well known that Christians disagree on just how much equality there should be. The Ephesians passage is a traditionalist view, which has the husband as the leader, but still is based on mutual love. I think Gen 2 and the undisputed Pauline letters give a relationship that’s slanted a bit more in the direction of equality.

But the original question was about Gen 3:16. I don’t think that describes even a traditionalist view of male headship. Calvin, whose view of the relationship between men and women is traditionalist, says “She had, indeed, previously been subject to her husband, but that was a liberal and gentle subjection; now, however, she is cast into servitude.” The liberal and gentle subjection would be Ephesians 4. Gen 3:16 is out and out “servitude.” Christians aren’t expected to accept that, any more than we are expected to allow thorns and thistles to crowd out our crops. Domination of women — as opposed to a gentle leadership (or equality, in the more liberal versions of Christianity) — is a result of the Fall, and not the proper situation in the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The whole concept of the relationship of a man to a woman is suppose to be an illustration of Jesus to his church. Jesus is a husband and the church is his bride.
That relationship has sadly been corrupted by the fall of man into sin.
But that is not how it was meant to be from the beginning.

The term "rule" is an unfortunate choice of words when the Bible was translated from Hebrew into English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

minique

Sep 15, 2011
✟9,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a Christian woman I can certainly understand where you are coming from. There was a time when I pondered the same questions, and I did exactly what you are doing; I sought Biblical answers.

unrelentingfortruth said: I don't understand how I can live knowing I am born simply to be ruled over by men no matter what I do.

1). God created the woman in his image (Gen 1:27) to be a HELPER for the man:
The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." (Ge 2:18).

The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew, so it's important to look at the Hebrew definition for Helper.

Helper (5828, Ezer) - help, succour, one who helps, aid.
The Hebrew word for Helper - Ezer is used twice in the Old Testament to refer to the female and several times to refer to God. For example, in the Psalms when David says, "The Lord is my Helper," he uses the word Ezer." Ps 121:2

Wendy Aslup, author of Practical Theology for Women, explains it this way:
God Himself is called our helper, the same Hebrew word used of the first woman in Genesis 2:18. In the New Testament, the Holy Spirit is also called our Helper, Counselor, and Comforter (depending on which translation of the Bible you use). These are all translations of the Holy Spirit’s role of paraklete, or one who comes alongside in aid. When we understand God’s role on this issue, it puts this in perspective. God, Almighty Sovereign Lord of the Universe, is our helper, and we, as women, are created in his image. If I hold on to the attitude that being created as a helper is condescending and substandard, I am basically mocking the name of God and His character, for the role of helper is one He willingly embraces.

God our Help defends (Ex. 18:4), cares for the oppressed (Ps. 10:14), delivers from distress (Ps. 70:5), rescues the poor and needy (Ps. 72:12-14), comforts (Ps. 86:17), supports, shields, and protects (Ps. 20:2 and 33:20). God’s example reveals a high and worthy calling for women as helpers suitable to their husbands. We are not glorified maids, butlers, or cooks waiting on an order to perform from a master. This is not God’s example of help at all! We are called to show compassion, support, defend, and protect those in our care. We are called to deliver from distress and to comfort. We are called to be conduits of God’s grace in our homes. We are called to be like Christ.
Source: Practical Theology for Women: Keep Calm and Carry On -- Being a Strong Helper after God's Own Heart

2.) For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ep 2:10). This is a congregational verse. It applies to both men and women in Christ.

The Bible tells us that Christians (both male and female) were created in Christ Jesus to do good works. In other words, Unrelentingfortruth, you (a Christian woman) are God's handiwork, and you were created in Christ to do good works. Scripture tells us that woman was created as a Helper for man (1 Cor 11:9). However, that's only one facet of womanhood. Women are born into families and communities. Women are daughters, sisters, extended family members, neighbors and friends before they ever become wives and/or mothers. Some women never marry and/or become mothers.

These ladies came from all walks of life: prostitution, unmarried, married, possibly divorced, some had children and some may have been childless. Although they all had different backgrounds, each one of these precious ladies HELPED their communities in incredibly significant and noteworthy ways. They did the "good works" that God planned for them to do. Their purpose and reason for being born wasn't "simply to be ruled over by men."
  • Esther was willing to risk her life in order to save the Jews. Book of Esther.
  • Huldah was a prophet. King Josiah sought her help via royal messengers because he wanted her to tell him what God had to say about the discovery of the Book of the Law. 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chronicles 34:22
  • Lydia was a Christian and a merchant. She invited and urged Paul and other disciples to stay at her home. She allowed Paul and Silas to use her home for church meetings. Acts 16;12-15, 40 Phil 1:1-10
  • Rahab was a prostitute. She hid the Israeli spies and refused to hand them over to her government's officials. She made a bargain with the Israeli spies that would preserve her life and the lives of her family members. She gave the Israeli spies instructions about where and how to escape. She is part of Jesus' family tree. Her name is listed in the Hebrew hall of faith. Jos 2:1, 3, 6:17-25, Mat 1:5, He 11:31 Jam2:25
  • The Midwives feared God and refused to obey the king's evil command. They refused to kill the newborn Hebrew boys. They were pro-lifers. God blessed the midwives and gave them children of their own. Ex 1:15-20
  • Dorcas made garments for the widows in her community, and she helped the poor. Acts 9:36-43
  • Phoebe was a deacon in the church of Cenchreae. She helped many people, including Apostle Paul. Ro 16:1-2
  • Deborah was a judge and prophet in Israel. The Israelites came to her court, so she could decide their disputes. Villages in Israel were deserted, until Deborah arose as a mother for Israel. Judges chapters 4&5
  • The Wise Woman of Abel was a skilled negotiator. She took initiative and negotiated a deal with the commander-in-chief of the Israeli army that saved her city from destruction. She was a woman of influence. The people in her community followed her advice concerning the negotiation. 2 Sam 20:16-22
  • Women traveled with Jesus and the 12 disciples as they toured the cities and villages of Galilee. Some of those women provided financial support for Jesus and his disciples. Lu 8:1-3
  • Anna was a prophetess. She had been a widow for many years. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. She was a witness for Christ. Luke 2:36-38
  • The Queen of Sheba traveled from a distant land to hear the wisdom of Solomon. The pursuit of wisdom was very important to her. Jesus publicly acknowledged the Queen of Sheba's pursuit and appreciation for wisdom. During her lifetime, she sought the wisest person she knew - Solomon. However, when Jesus came to earth, he was greater than Solomon, but many of the people who encountered him failed to appreciate Christ as the power of God and the wisdom of God. 1 Ki 10:1-13, 2 Chr 9:1-12, Mt 12:42
  • Sheerah built the cities of Lower and Upper Beth Horon as well as Uzzen Sheerah. 1 Chr 7:24
  • Jehosheba stole Joash away from the rest of the king's children, who were about to be killed. She hid him from the murderous Athaliah for 6 years. Jehosheba risked her life in order to help preserve “The Seed Royal,” for had Joash also perished the line of Judah would have been extinct. 2 Ki 11:2, 2 Chr 22:11
  • The Israelites were God's chosen people. Jael killed Sisera, Israel’s cruel oppressor, and helped deliver Israel from the hands of their enemies. Jud 4:21, 5:24
  • The woman at the well was a great evangelist. Many Samaritans from the town believed in Jesus because of her testimony. Joh 4:4-42

Upvote 0

minique

Sep 15, 2011
✟9,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
unrelentingfortruth said: So I suppose this is my question, are women permanently punished forevermore by being ruled over by men? OR is it that only once they are married they are to be ruled by their husband, but not by men in general?

To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." Genesis 3:16

The Hebrew word for rule in Genesis 3:16 is MASHAL (Strong's # 4910). It means to dominate, gain control, have authority, master, lord over. The fact that men would rule over women through domination, control, lording over and mastery is a result of the sin (the fall) that happened in the garden.

• However, nowhere in the New Testament are men instructed to rule women by dominating, controlling, mastering or lording over them.
  • Nowhere in the New Testament are husbands instructed to rule their wives by dominating, controlling, mastering or lording over them. That's not in the New Testament.
According to the New Testament, how should a Christian husband rule his wife? We can learn something from the qualifications listed for bishops & deacons. They must rule their children and household well. 1 Timothy 3:4,5,12

The New Testament was originally written in Greek. The Greek word for rule in 1 Timothy 3:4,5,12 is PROISTE'MI (Strong's 4291B). It means to superintend, preside over, to be a protector or guardian, to give aid, to care for, give attention to, profess honest occupations.

Please note that the definition for the Old Testament, Genesis 3:16 rule (MASHAL) and the New Testament, 1 Timothy 3:4,5,12 rule (PROISTE"MI) are extremely different.

How should a Christian husband rule his wife according to the New Testament? (PROISTE'MI) By protecting, guarding, aiding, giving attention to and caring for her.

Furthermore, Christian husbands are commanded to love their wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Ephesians 5:25).

How does Christ love his bride the church? One of the ways Christ loves his bride the church is by being a SERVANT leader.

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45).

In the New Testament, Christian husbands are instructed to love their wives LIKE CHRIST LOVED THE CHURCH. Therefore, a Christian husband's goal should be to provide SERVANT leadership in his marriage and home because that's the example that CHRIST set. A Christian husband should use his headship, authority and rulership to SERVE, PROTECT, GUARD, AID, GIVE ATTENTION TO and CARE FOR his wife.

A Christian husband should not use his headship, authority and rulership to dominate, control, master and lord over his wife. Husbands who do that are MISUSING their headship, authority and rulership in order to accomplish their own selfish agendas. That mentality is reflective of Genesis 3:16 and what would happen as a result of THE FALL (sin) in the garden of Eden.

The Message Translation of the Bible sums it up this way, "16 He told the Woman: "I'll multiply your pains in childbirth; you'll give birth to your babies in pain. You'll want to please your husband, but he'll lord it over you." Ge 3:16

unrelentingfortruth said: OR is it that only once they are married they are to be ruled by their husband, but not by men in general?

Russell Moore, President of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, wrote an article that answers the last part of your question.

Those of us who hold to so-called “traditional gender roles” are often assumed to believe that women should submit to men. This isn’t true.
And, yes, wives are called to submit to their husbands (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 3:1). But that’s just the point. In the Bible, it is not that women, generally, are to submit to men, generally. Instead, “wives” are to submit “to your own husbands” (1 Peter 1:1).

Read the entire article at: http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/russellmoore/women-stop-submitting-to-men.html

Upvote 0

minique

Sep 15, 2011
✟9,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
unrelentingfortruth said: If this is true how am I, as a woman, supposed to ever want to get married because I am no slave to anyone and don't wish to be ruled over by a man.

That's a very important question and consideration. The decision to marry and deciding who to marry are two of the most important decisions that a person could ever make. That's why people should not enter into marriage lightly.

As Christians, the Bible is our guide. Therefore, Christians considering marriage should study and become educated on the roles and responsibilities of a Christian husband and a Christian wife. Christians considering marriage should understand what's expected of them Biblically and understand what they can legitimately expect from their spouse.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6).

Prayer is so important. Christians deciding if they should marry and who they should marry need to very prayerful. Those definitely aren't decisions you want to make without diligently praying to God and asking for him to reveal his insight and will for your life concerning those matters.

Long story short, study the Bible and pray to God, so you can make a Biblically informed decision about whether you should marry and/or who you should marry because those decisions will affect you for the rest of your life.

Upvote 0

myarogancewasblottedout

Oct 6, 2015
✟15,694.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
firstly, the snake didn't agree that Lord had already made Adam and Eve "very Good" (to the point of perfection), that is called a complaint.
Eve didn't agree that Adam was perfect, that too is called a complaint.
Adam shifted the blame for blatantly ignoring a commandment "don't bear false witness against your neighbour"
but if you read http://www.biblehub.com/psalms/18-9.htm it looks like Europe? and but people don't realise that india shores are 2 lips.

Also if you are reading Genesis chapter 1, have a look at dimensions (lines, surface(2d), 3d, 4th Dimension=time, 5th dimension, 6th dimension(requires freedom), 7th dimension(words and laws concerning future)) because yea God of Existance.

I dunno anymore I too am going to probably get beheaded by ISIS when I go be a missionary. girls want to be free, but girls want to have super healthy husbands with no complaints and no sicknesses. so god makes us

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hedrick already gave really great answers. I agree that any sort of domination or "rule" of men over women is not what God has in mind for us. Men & women are both equally made in God's image, & both are equally redeemed in Christ.

Good luck as you're seeking.

Upvote 0