Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KJV: "And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him."

I was reading the Bible the other day. Now as a new christian I am just doing a kind of...survey reading of the Bible right now. Scratching just below the surface, not getting too deep. I periodically see things that seem....not questionable but...question-worthy. Generally I just make a note to study it out later and move on.

But this one...troubled me.

My understanding of the context is Abraham fell asleep and while he was asleep God communicated with him. What bothers me is how God is described as "..an horror of great darkness". Why would God be described in such negative terms?

I tried looking some info up online on it, but nothing really made sense. So now I turn to you. :)

Help?

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But when I think of God, I don't think of darkness. Or horror.

I get the fear thing - but that is kind of a fear = respectful fear, not fear = terrified. At least as christians. Now I get that Abraham wasn't a christian, but he was God's man. So why would it describe God that way?

Upvote 0

Christodoulos

Jun 9, 2017
Dudley
✟11,277.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KJV: "And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him."

I was reading the Bible the other day. Now as a new christian I am just doing a kind of...survey reading of the Bible right now. Scratching just below the surface, not getting too deep. I periodically see things that seem....not questionable but...question-worthy. Generally I just make a note to study it out later and move on.

But this one...troubled me.

My understanding of the context is Abraham fell asleep and while he was asleep God communicated with him. What bothers me is how God is described as "..an horror of great darkness". Why would God be described in such negative terms?

I tried looking some info up online on it, but nothing really made sense. So now I turn to you. :)

Help?

Matthew Henry might be of some help to you, Genesis 15 Commentary - Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete)

And John Wesley, Genesis 15 Commentary - Wesley's Explanatory Notes

• Winner
Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That actually does help a lot, thank you! I have Matthew Henry Commentaries on my kindle, dunno why I didn't check them out. Probably because I am still very uncertain about them lol. But they were definitely the most helpful so gonna try to use them more

Thank you very much! :)

Reactions: Christodoulos
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Now I get that Abraham wasn't a christian, but he was God's man. So why would it describe God that way?
You will find out in your own experience if YHWH permits.

Remember Abraham is the man YHWH chose, and YHWH declared all the nations will be blessed in/through Abraham.
Abraham is the father of faith. One man out of the whole world, out of world history in fact, chosen by YHWH, ......

Even so, YHWH is beyond the greatest imaginations, dreams, or most exemplary descritions of any words man could come up with -
He created all the universe, and all life, and knows perfectly the beginning to the end and all in-between, every detail....
By His Word, all things were created, out of nothing.

In His Presence, nothing compares, nothing and no one is anything next to Him in power and glory and strength and mercy and compassion and righteousness
and on and on , all in all.....

Consider being in a bunker 300 feet under ground while 7 nuclear explosions are set off within 7 miles a mile above the bunker....
comparitively (as if possible)
that is less than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 % of the least and tiniest particple of YHWH'S WORD.

Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Christodoulos

Jun 9, 2017
Dudley
✟11,277.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That actually does help a lot, thank you! I have Matthew Henry Commentaries on my kindle, dunno why I didn't check them out. Probably because I am still very uncertain about them lol. But they were definitely the most helpful so gonna try to use them more

Thank you very much! :)

Glad to help. If you want to dig deeper and get technical with the original language, then this commentary is quite good, Genesis 15 Commentary - Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament

I will advice one thing, though you probably are aware. I find it best before I read anything, or watch teaching on the Bible, even listening to the Pastor at Church, to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in all that you do, and to give you understanding. As the Bible is His Book, He is Best for guiding you into His Truth.

Upvote 0

Christodoulos

Jun 9, 2017
Dudley
✟11,277.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your right, I know that and neglected to do that. I will make more of an effort to do that from now on.

And I will check out that other commentary too. Thanks a lot!

If you have a computer, there is a great website for 100's of free ebooks

main program, e-Sword | Downloads

free books, Latest e-Sword Downloads, Modules, Utilities, and News - e-Sword News, Downloads, and Forums - www.BibleSupport.com

Two great word studies on the New Testament,

Overview - Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament

Overview - Vincent's Word Studies

Again, the help of the Holy Spirit in deciding what is right and wrong, is essential

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will advice one thing, though you probably are aware. I find it best before I read anything, or watch teaching on the Bible, even listening to the Pastor at Church, to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in all that you do, and to give you understanding. As the Bible is His Book, He is Best for guiding you into His Truth.

Your advice here was spot on:) Just wanted to let you know of the results of following through on my part. I started studying Old Testament, forgetting to pray first (forgetfulness is a HUGE failing of mine). Right away I ran into trouble in Chapter 20 of Genesis.

"That's messed up. Why would God punish Abimelech when it was Abraham and Sarah's sin, not his?" I was very indignant for poor Abimelech.

Then ... "WOAH! Sarah is his STEP SISTER! He married his sister!"

I was disturbed to say the least. I felt it was quite unfair of God all around. Then I turned to my computer and started hunting answers. In the middle of it I recalled my trouble with this verse, and then I recalled your advice. I stopped and prayed.
Ten minutes after praying I am perfectly content with this chapter, and actually impressed with God's graceful way of handling a very complicated situation.

Thank you again. :)

Upvote 0