• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Genesis 1 Again

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Doveaman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,358
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    -Jesus had some wine. When served everyone agreed it was good. Some said it was a few minutes old, others said it was aged perfectly. "The Best" they said.
    -Jesus caused a man to get up and walk. Some said he walked as if he had never been lame. Others said these were the first few steps he had ever taken.
    -Jesus raised a man from the dead. Some said he was alive. Many said he was never dead to start with.

The point being that "Science" does not usually agree when God works HIS will in our realm. If so, then your examples of agreement would be the exception to the rule.

2. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,358
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The Strong Concordance says "whales" means dinosaurs.
    But not Wales.
    Or wails.

3. Nostromo

Nostromo Brian Blessed can take a hike

+48
    Atheist
    Private
    No, man was created on the sixth day. The Jewish day runs from sunset to sunset, so "the evening and the morning", are the sixth day, not the last part of the sixth and the first part of the seventh.
    Come on man, it shouldn't have to be me telling you that He rested on the seventh day.

4. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,004
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Evidently, you can't sort through the ... facts [sic] without Strong's Concordance to help you -- and believe me -- that speaks volumes.

5. cupid dave

cupid dave Guest

+0
    ?
    The point was that Whales is an error in translating from the Hebrew.

The word in Hebrew means some animal more like dinosaurs.

[​IMG]

6. Huram Abi

Huram Abi Guest

+0
    You still haven't answered in which day they were created, and that was the point.

7. Huram Abi

Huram Abi Guest

+0
    Btw, the Mesozoic era occurs in the Phanerozoic Eon, which, according to the useful scientific divisions, is the 4th (or last) period.

8. Nostromo

Nostromo Brian Blessed can take a hike

+48
    Atheist
    Private
    Highlighted the significant part.

9. Doveaman

Doveaman Re-Created, Not Evolved.

+575
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    This is what happens when we rely on science to interpret Scripture.

10. artybloke

artybloke Well-Known Member

+427
    Christian Seeker
    UK-Labour
    Nobody does. When we call it a story, then we know that the best way to interpret it is as a story.

Science doesn't come into it, because it isn't science, it's story.

11. cupid dave

cupid dave Guest

+0

The way the Theistic Evolution Bible explains it is like this:

6. Mesozoic Era ("evening" = Cretaceous)-

[​IMG]

to the Cenozoic Era ("morning" = Tertiary)

[​IMG]

= Six Day

7. Cenozoic Era ("evening" = Quarternary)-

[​IMG]

to the Common Era ("morning" = Stone Age)

[​IMG]

= Seventh Day

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  12. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,966
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    MOD HAT

This thread is closed for review.

As a reminder, the site rules include these two:

Blasphemy
    You will not insult or mock Christianity or any part of the Trinity-Father(God), Son(Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Honest debate about the nature of God and Christianity is allowed, but derogatory remarks will be promptly removed.

Flaming and Harassment
    ● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
    ● If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
    ● Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.
    ● Those who do not adhere to the Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.
    ● Do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes, making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
    ● Respect another member's request to cease personal contact.

13. Philothei

Philothei Love never fails

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married

Mod hat on:
    This thread was reviewed by staff and underwent a clean-up; many posts were deleted. Please do not flame each other and do not post against Christianity as this is a Christian forum per the Rules quoted bellow.

[​IMG]

Mod hat off

14. Doveaman

Doveaman Re-Created, Not Evolved.

+575
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I believe the creation events in Genesis 1 are literal, historical events that occurred in six days and in the exact order just as described. My theory does not change the events or the order of those events. It simply offers a logical explanation of how those events might have occurred.
    I’m not so sure we know that. The word “made” in verse 16 is not the same as the word “created” in verse 1.

The word “created” has the meaning of something being originally formed, such as “In the beginning God “created” the heavens and the earth”.

The word “made” can have the meaning of something being formed out of something else, such as a commercial bus being “made” into a private bus.

The bus already existed but was “made” to serve different purpose.

The sun and moon could have already existed but were “made” to serve a different purpose on day four.
    The universe (including the earth) as described in verse 1 was created from nothing.

The narrative then moves from a universe created from nothing in verse 1 to a formless and empty earth in verse 2.

The six day creation events that followed were created from that pre-existing universe that was created from nothing.

The universe was created form nothing and the six day creation events were created from that universe.
    It also shows there I no need for the conflict between old agers and young agers.
    I think what they are saying is that the earth did not exist before the universe.
    Cheers.

15. dad

dad Undefeated! Supporter

+1,221
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    OK. I think I see your position somewhat.

16. cupid dave

cupid dave Guest

+0

2X

The Bible must mean "made" the authority over the Solar Clock, as the Hebrew word itself implies:

[​IMG]

17. cupid dave

cupid dave Guest

+0
    Yes, I agree with you both.

people like Bill Mahr mock the Bible when they insist that "made" means the Sun and Moon were not part of the Gen 1:1, when the Heavens were "created."

But church people need yo hear this point of view because they most all use the word incorrectly.

18. Huram Abi

Huram Abi Guest

+0
    Bill Maher mocks the bible, but not by qubbling over semantics and words that are synonymous.

I think you brought him up as a way to polarize the issue, pinning "them"(those that disagree with you) as "bible bashers" instead of making a clear and sound argument for your position.

How does Bill Maher have anything to do with this issue?

19. dad

dad Undefeated! Supporter

+1,221
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Seeing his position does not mean I agree with it, or Bill. My belief is that creation week was a real week. Nothing in the bible indicates otherwise, unless one sets out to weld it into line.

20. Huram Abi

Huram Abi Guest

+0
    :thumbsup: