Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Does the Gospels or even Genesis or elswhere in the O.T. give accounts back that far or just to Abraham? If not what about the generations from Adam to Noaha or Abraham, are these to be found in the Gospels or just the O.T? Listed in years are we talking a few thousand years or time periods up there with what dated fossil remains found, the dates just being symbolic?

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I"m not sure but I really like this element of his genealogy

On account of her faith and hospitality, Rahab the harlot was saved. For when spies were sent by Joshua, the son of Nun, to Jericho, the king of the country ascertained that they were come to spy out their land, and sent men to seize them, in order that, when taken, they might be put to death. But the hospitable Rahab receiving them, concealed them on the roof of her house under some stalks of flax. And when the men sent by the king arrived and said "There came men unto thee who are to spy out our land; bring them forth, for so the king commands," she answered them, "The two men whom ye seek came unto me, but quickly departed again and are gone," thus not discovering the spies to them. Then she said to the men, "I know assuredly that the Lord your God hath given you this city, for the fear and dread of you have fallen on its inhabitants. When therefore ye shall have taken it, keep ye me and the house of my father in safety." And they said to her, "It shall be as thou hast spoken to us. As soon, therefore, as thou knowest that we are at hand, thou shall gather all thy family under thy roof, and they shall be preserved, but all that. are found outside of thy dwelling shall perish." Moreover, they gave her a sign to this effect, that she should hang forth from her house a scarlet thread. And thus they made it manifest that redemption should flow through the blood of the Lord to all them that believe and hope in God. Ye see, beloved, that there was not only faith, but prophecy, in this woman.

1The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, (A)the son of David, (B)the son of Abraham: 2Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of [a]Judah and his brothers.
3Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, (C)Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram.
4Ram was the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon.
5Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse.

Jesus had a former harlot in his genealogy!

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I"m not sure but I really like this element of his genealogy

On account of her faith and hospitality, Rahab the harlot was saved. For when spies were sent by Joshua, the son of Nun, to Jericho, the king of the country ascertained that they were come to spy out their land, and sent men to seize them, in order that, when taken, they might be put to death. But the hospitable Rahab receiving them, concealed them on the roof of her house under some stalks of flax. And when the men sent by the king arrived and said "There came men unto thee who are to spy out our land; bring them forth, for so the king commands," she answered them, "The two men whom ye seek came unto me, but quickly departed again and are gone," thus not discovering the spies to them. Then she said to the men, "I know assuredly that the Lord your God hath given you this city, for the fear and dread of you have fallen on its inhabitants. When therefore ye shall have taken it, keep ye me and the house of my father in safety." And they said to her, "It shall be as thou hast spoken to us. As soon, therefore, as thou knowest that we are at hand, thou shall gather all thy family under thy roof, and they shall be preserved, but all that. are found outside of thy dwelling shall perish." Moreover, they gave her a sign to this effect, that she should hang forth from her house a scarlet thread. And thus they made it manifest that redemption should flow through the blood of the Lord to all them that believe and hope in God. Ye see, beloved, that there was not only faith, but prophecy, in this woman.

1The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, (A)the son of David, (B)the son of Abraham: 2Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of [a]Judah and his brothers.
3Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, (C)Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram.
4Ram was the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon the father of Salmon.
5Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse.

Jesus had a former harlot in his genealogy!

Thanks! I tossed it out here for some comments because I'm not very familiar with this at all - once I heard somewhere adoptions were in there too and fully recognized.

I belive Jesus is the World Savior reguardless of any oddities in these - it would just be an interesting topic I thought. In the Zoroastrian traditions the World Savior's mother, Mary, former lineage is traced back to Zoroaster so that part while not off-topic is not a big issue with me.

I was trying to get a overview of how these Biblical generations trace back into history and how far back they go in number form, like in years or groups of years considered a generation? Like years or generations from Adam to Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

&Abel

Aug 16, 2008
✟12,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
cool

keep in mind:

3As I urged you upon my departure for (K)Macedonia, remain on at (L)Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to (M)teach strange doctrines,
4nor to pay attention to (N)myths and endless (O)genealogies, which give rise to mere (P)speculation rather than (Q)furthering the administration of God which is by faith.
5But the goal of our (R)instruction is love (S)from a pure heart and a (T)good conscience and a sincere (U)faith.

that said I don't think theres anything wrong with being curious about lineage

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
cool

keep in mind:

3As I urged you upon my departure for (K)Macedonia, remain on at (L)Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to (M)teach strange doctrines,
4nor to pay attention to (N)myths and endless (O)genealogies, which give rise to mere (P)speculation rather than (Q)furthering the administration of God which is by faith.
5But the goal of our (R)instruction is love (S)from a pure heart and a (T)good conscience and a sincere (U)faith.

that said I don't think theres anything wrong with being curious about lineage

Thanks again! Jesus Christ was who He said He was reguardless of endeavors to account for His linage - I believe.

Something I'm wondering is about the "first man" Adam, again I'm not very familiar with this but doesn't Adam go back to 4000 B.C.? In light of archeological finds of peoples before then woulnd't that make Adam a later descent connected with the people of his same geographic area instead of the first man on Earth - perhaps the first man migrating into that geographic area?

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
From Luke 3...

77 Adam
76 Seth
75 Enos
74 Cainan
73 Mahalaleel
72 Jared
71 Enoch
70 Methuselah
69 Lamech
68 Noah
67 Shem
66 Arphaxad
65 Cainan
64 Shelah
63 Eber
62 Peleg
61 Reu
60 Serug
59 Nahor
58 Terah
57 Abraham
56 Isaac
55 Jacob
54 Judah
53 Perez
52 Hezron
51 Arni
50 Admin
49 Amminadab
48 Nahshon
47 Sala
46 Boaz
45 Obed
44 Jesse
43 David
42 Nathan
41 Mattatha
40 Menna
39 Melea
38 Eliakim
37 Jonam
36 Joseph
35 Judah
34 Simeon
33 Levi
32 Matthat
31 Jorim
30 Eliezer
29 Joshua
28 Er
27 Elmadam
26 Cosam
25 Addi
24 Melchi
23 Neri
22 Shealtiel
21 Zerubbabel
20 Rhesa
19 Joanan
18 Joda
17 Josech
16 Semein
15 Mattathias
14 Maath
13 Naggai
12 Esli
11 Nahum
10 Amos
09 Mattathias
08 Joseph
07 Jannai
06 Melchi
05 Levi
04 Matthat
03 Heli
02 Joseph
01 Jesus

77 generations from Adam to Christ, about 4,000 years. I'm just speaking here of the biblical record, not the geologic or astronomic ones.

Upvote 0

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks again! Jesus Christ was who He said He was reguardless of endeavors to account for His linage - I believe.

Something I'm wondering is about the "first man" Adam, again I'm not very familiar with this but doesn't Adam go back to 4000 B.C.? In light of archeological finds of peoples before then woulnd't that make Adam a later descent connected with the people of his same geographic area instead of the first man on Earth - perhaps the first man migrating into that geographic area?

I believe that Adam was the first man with a soul.

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I honestly don't know whats with the disconnect between science and our theology

lately I've been avoiding most science and concentrating on the faith

theres too much bias against faith

pride too

and wanting to think they understand more then they actually do

Faith and science co-excisting and working together to find the truth about such things as the age of the earth, dinosaurs, ect. would be a good thing.

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
From Luke 3...

77 Adam
76 Seth
75 Enos
74 Cainan
73 Mahalaleel
72 Jared
71 Enoch
70 Methuselah
69 Lamech
68 Noah
67 Shem
66 Arphaxad
65 Cainan
64 Shelah
63 Eber
62 Peleg
61 Reu
60 Serug
59 Nahor
58 Terah
57 Abraham
56 Isaac
55 Jacob
54 Judah
53 Perez
52 Hezron
51 Arni
50 Admin
49 Amminadab
48 Nahshon
47 Sala
46 Boaz
45 Obed
44 Jesse
43 David
42 Nathan
41 Mattatha
40 Menna
39 Melea
38 Eliakim
37 Jonam
36 Joseph
35 Judah
34 Simeon
33 Levi
32 Matthat
31 Jorim
30 Eliezer
29 Joshua
28 Er
27 Elmadam
26 Cosam
25 Addi
24 Melchi
23 Neri
22 Shealtiel
21 Zerubbabel
20 Rhesa
19 Joanan
18 Joda
17 Josech
16 Semein
15 Mattathias
14 Maath
13 Naggai
12 Esli
11 Nahum
10 Amos
09 Mattathias
08 Joseph
07 Jannai
06 Melchi
05 Levi
04 Matthat
03 Heli
02 Joseph
01 Jesus

77 generations from Adam to Christ, about 4,000 years. I'm just speaking here of the biblical record, not the geologic or astronomic ones.

Thank you tremendiously for that data!

This is the Christian from Luke, so eniquely Christian. The O.T being Jewish - What are the generations there, do they descend unto from Adam to one of the later prophets in the last few books of the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chestertonrules

Dec 17, 2007
Texas
✟11,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back in the history of our race, How long ago would he have lived?

I don't think we can know that for sure.

The word Adam also means mankind.

I believe that human life evolved with God's oversight. This process is described as God creating us from the mud and clay. When the physical man was complete, God breathed life into him, which was our soul.

Just a theory.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1 Chronicles 1 & 2 The spelling may be different in your Bible.

1. Adam
2. Seth
3. Enosh
4. Kenan
5. Mahalalel
6. Jared
7. Enoch
8. Methuselah
9. Lamech
10. Noah
11. Shem
12. Arpachshad
13. Shelah
14. Eber
15. Peleg
16. Reu
17. Serug
18. Nahor
19. Terah
20. Abraham
21. Isaac
22. Jacob
23. Judah
24. Perez
25. Hezron
26. Ram
27. Amminadab
28. Nahshon
29. Salmon
30. Boaz
31. Obed
32. Jesse
33. David

34. Solomon
35. Rehoboam
36. Abijah
37. Asa
38. Jehoshaphat
39. Jehoram
40. Ahaziah -
41. Joash -
42. Amaziah -
44. Uzziah
45. Jotham
46. Ahaz
47. Hezekiah
48. Manasseh
49. Amon
50. Josiah
51. Jehoiakim -
52. Jehoiachin

1 Chronicles doesn't list a descendant of Shealtiel but others, such as Ezra, refer to Zerubabel, son of Shealtiel.
53. Shealtiel
54. Zerubbabel

From there I don't think there is no record in the OT of Solomon's descendants.

Yarddog

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Chronicles 1 & 2 The spelling may be different in your Bible.

1. Adam
2. Seth
3. Enosh
4. Kenan
5. Mahalalel
6. Jared
7. Enoch
8. Methuselah
9. Lamech
10. Noah
11. Shem
12. Arpachshad
13. Shelah
14. Eber
15. Peleg
16. Reu
17. Serug
18. Nahor
19. Terah
20. Abraham
21. Isaac
22. Jacob
23. Judah
24. Perez
25. Hezron
26. Ram
27. Amminadab
28. Nahshon
29. Salmon
30. Boaz
31. Obed
32. Jesse
33. David

34. Solomon
35. Rehoboam
36. Abijah
37. Asa
38. Jehoshaphat
39. Jehoram
40. Ahaziah -
41. Joash -
42. Amaziah -
44. Uzziah
45. Jotham
46. Ahaz
47. Hezekiah
48. Manasseh
49. Amon
50. Josiah
51. Jehoiakim -
52. Jehoiachin

1 Chronicles doesn't list a descendant of Shealtiel but others, such as Ezra, refer to Zerubabel, son of Shealtiel.
53. Shealtiel
54. Zerubbabel

From there I don't think there is no record in the OT of Solomon's descendants.

Yarddog
I've reversed the numbering of the generations found in Luke 3 to the sequence YardDog used to make it easier to compare the two lists. The Luke list is close to the one put together by going through the O.T., but since some O.T. genealogies conflate some generations that can explain the difference. Up to the generation of King David, a period covering 3,000 years from Adam to David, the two lists vary by only two names. After David the genealogies diverge one following Solomon's line and the Luke one following the Nathan line.

In terms of biblical time, there are about 3,000 years between Adam and David. I understand the problems this presents, but we're just trying to determine what it says first, I'll leave it to each one to decide what it means.

That puts us about 6,000 years from Adam, per biblical time, (not geologic or astronomic).

1 Adam
2 Seth
3 Enos
4 Cainan
5 Mahalaleel
6 Jared
7 Enoch
8 Methuselah
9 Lamech
10 Noah
11 Shem
12 Arphaxad
13 Cainan
14 Shelah
15 Eber
16 Peleg
17 Reu
18 Serug
19 Nahor
20 Terah
21 Abraham
22 Isaac
23 Jacob
24 Judah
25 Perez
26 Hezron
27 Arni
28 Admin
29 Amminadab
30 Nahshon
31 Sala
32 Boaz
33 Obed
34 Jesse
35 David
36 Nathan
37 Mattatha
38 Menna
39 Melea
40 Eliakim
41 Jonam
42 Joseph
43 Judah
44 Simeon
45 Levi
46 Matthat
47 Jorim
48 Eliezer
49 Joshua
50 Er
51 Elmadam
52 Cosam
53 Addi
54 Melchi
55 Neri
56 Shealtiel
57 Zerubbabel
58 Rhesa
59 Joanan
60 Joda
61 Josech
62 Semein
63 Mattathias
64 Maath
65 Naggai
66 Esli
67 Nahum
68 Amos
69 Mattathias
70 Joseph
71 Jannai
72 Melchi
73 Levi
74 Matthat
75 Heli
76 Joseph
77 Jesus

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I've reversed the numbering of the generations found in Luke 3 to the sequence YardDog used to make it easier to compare the two lists. The Luke list is close to the one put together by going through the O.T., but since some O.T. genealogies conflate some generations that can explain the difference. Up to the generation of King David, a period covering 3,000 years from Adam to David, the two lists vary by only two names. After David the genealogies diverge one following Solomon's line and the Luke one following the Nathan line.

In terms of biblical time, there are about 3,000 years between Adam and David. I understand the problems this presents, but we're just trying to determine what it says first, I'll leave it to each one to decide what it means.

That puts us about 6,000 years from Adam, per biblical time, (not geologic or astronomic).

1 Adam
2 Seth
3 Enos
4 Cainan
5 Mahalaleel
6 Jared
7 Enoch
8 Methuselah
9 Lamech
10 Noah
11 Shem
12 Arphaxad
13 Cainan
14 Shelah
15 Eber
16 Peleg
17 Reu
18 Serug
19 Nahor
20 Terah
21 Abraham
22 Isaac
23 Jacob
24 Judah
25 Perez
26 Hezron
27 Arni
28 Admin
29 Amminadab
30 Nahshon
31 Sala
32 Boaz
33 Obed
34 Jesse
35 David
36 Nathan
37 Mattatha
38 Menna
39 Melea
40 Eliakim
41 Jonam
42 Joseph
43 Judah
44 Simeon
45 Levi
46 Matthat
47 Jorim
48 Eliezer
49 Joshua
50 Er
51 Elmadam
52 Cosam
53 Addi
54 Melchi
55 Neri
56 Shealtiel
57 Zerubbabel
58 Rhesa
59 Joanan
60 Joda
61 Josech
62 Semein
63 Mattathias
64 Maath
65 Naggai
66 Esli
67 Nahum
68 Amos
69 Mattathias
70 Joseph
71 Jannai
72 Melchi
73 Levi
74 Matthat
75 Heli
76 Joseph
77 Jesus

Thanks again! You all are very knowledgeable about where to find these and I appreciate your efforts in listing them here. Saint Matthew also has a geneology - is that and the one in Luke reflectant of the line of Joseph and the other the line of Mary? When you mention "I'm just speaking here of the biblical record, not the geologic or astronomic ones." does this mean there are other records outside the Bible?

A couple things I'll toss in here about the time period of several thousand years in comparison to the age of the race and planet -
> The text in Genesis between God creating the earth and it becoming a void could have been a tremendous amount of time in ranges of millions of years, then God re-aligned and set it like it is now.
> Also wasn't the life expectancy of the first peoples on earth incredibly long - like several hundreds or thousands of years? Wouldn't that change the concept of a regular "generation" in length?

Something that I found of interest is ancient people just like us - I think the theory we came form monkeys is not true - so I'll share the link if any of you are interested.

"An international archaeology group discovered fossils of human skull that have been recored to be about 160,000 years old in Ethiopia. This finding has caused great surprise in the archaeological world.
The journal Nature reported in June 2003 that the newly discovered fossils exhibit features that indicate great resemblances to modern man, including walking and various other behaviours. If the ancient people walked on the street, no one would recognise them as been any different from us.
The archaeological team, under the direction of Dr. Tim White from the University of California, found that the fossilised partial skulls were dated to be 160,000 years old. They were found in what is today central Ethiopia, and include the skulls of two adults and one 6 or 7 year old child. The fossilised partial skulls look very similar to those of modern human beings. The facial character of the skulls looks almost the same as modern humans, especially the skull of a child, which has no visible difference from that of a modern child. It was determined the skulls date back to 154,000 to 160,000 years ago."
http://clearharmony.net/articles/200401/17044.html

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks again! You all are very knowledgeable about where to find these and I appreciate your efforts in listing them here. Saint Matthew also has a geneology - is that and the one in Luke reflectant of the line of Joseph and the other the line of Mary?

Hello Z,

I personally don't like the explanation that the two genealogy lines reflect Joseph, on one hand, and then Mary on the other. That is because both accounts clearly say Joseph's father's name, which is how blood lines were counted by the Jews.

There was another explanation of the reason for the differences which makes more sense to me, which came from a Early Church Father. (Not sure which one right now)

He explained the Jewish custom or law which required that if a married man died without leaving a descendant that his brother was to provide one through his brother's widow. There would be a father by the law and a natural father. The father by the law would be the dead man and the natural father would be the brother.

According to this ECF this is why the two genealogies. I think that it was Joseph's father. Matthew says it was Jacob and Luke says it was Heli. The ECF said that one genealogy reflects the natural line while the other reflects the line of the law.

I hope that helps.
Yarddog

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Hello Z,

I personally don't like the explanation that the two genealogy lines reflect Joseph, on one hand, and then Mary on the other. That is because both accounts clearly say Joseph's father's name, which is how blood lines were counted by the Jews.

There was another explanation of the reason for the differences which makes more sense to me, which came from a Early Church Father. (Not sure which one right now)

He explained the Jewish custom or law which required that if a SummaScriptura married man died without leaving a descendant that his brother was to provide one through his brother's widow. There would be a father by the law and a natural father. The father by the law would be the dead man and the natural father would be the brother.

According to this ECF this is why the two genealogies. I think that it was Joseph's father. Matthew says it was Jacob and Luke says it was Heli. The ECF said that one genealogy reflects the natural line while the other reflects the line of the law.

I hope that helps.
Yarddog

Thanks for your comment! It's intersting the lineage - I was more wanting to explore back into history and pre-histoy (if that's possible).

Is Adam claimed to be the first man? If so how could these geneologies reflect that far back ? Perhaps it was the firstman (Adam) of thier geographic region. Also wasn't these earlier peoples have extended lifetimes like several hundreds or thousands of years?

SummaScriptura mentioned "That puts us about 6,000 years from Adam, per biblical time, (not geologic or astronomic)." What is the length in these geologic and astronomic?

Again Iappreciate your thoughts.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks again! You all are very knowledgeable about where to find these and I appreciate your efforts in listing them here. Saint Matthew also has a geneology - is that and the one in Luke reflectant of the line of Joseph and the other the line of Mary? When you mention "I'm just speaking here of the biblical record, not the geologic or astronomic ones." does this mean there are other records outside the Bible?<snip>
No, just that the Bible indicates a young earth, which differs from what astronomy and geology can tell.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible indicates a universe about 6,000-years old. Before one determines what the Bible means, one must first determine what it says. I am convinced the Bible says the universe, not just the earth, is roughly 6 millenia old. Astronomy, geology and micro-biology give a us a very different picture of the age of the universe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.