Not open for further replies.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know submission has been discussed a lot lately. You might think it is an over-discussed topic, but apparently you found it interesting enough to open up this thread.

Let's take a look at one of the key passages on the subject.

Ephesians 5
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

There are some wives who say, "I don't submit to my husband. We are in mutual submission." Is it appropriate for a believing woman to take this stance? Is this obedience to Christ? Does being in mutual submission preclude being in mutual submission?

I would like to consider here, two views of what 'submitting yourselves to one another' means.

Only Submitting to Authorities
One leader at a church I attended once took this passage to mean that we submit to whoever among 'one another' that has authority over us, whether submission to the elders of the church, wives submitting to husbands, submitting to masters, bosses, etc. He said everyone had someone to submit to.

I don't take this view. Not everyone would have someone to submit to under this scenario among those reading the letter, since many would be submitting to masters outside of the church.

Specific Verses General Submission

Consider this verse.

I Peter 5
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Peter had addressed the elders who were responsible for pastoring the church. here we see that while the younger were to submit to the elders, all were to submit one to another. There is a specific need for the younger to submit to the elder (the implication is that the elders of the church were older). But in a general sense, all believers are to be subject to one another.

So while the slave was to submit to his master, if they were both believers, they were to submit to one another. God might minister a prophetic word through a slave to a slaveowner that the slaveowner might have to submit to. A younger man might teach the word and an older man would need to hear and submit to it. And we should all be submissive in yeilding to others in meeting their needs.

Most people I've met who know the Bible who believe in male headship believe in mutual submission. I saw where one person wrote to another, "You don't believe in mutual submission" for believing in male headship. But that isn't an accurate assumption. Yes, there is mutual submission-- which applies to all believers. In this sense, the husband is to be in mutual submission to other believers including his wife. But specifically, wives are to submit to husbands.

Clearly, by telling his readers to be in submission to one another, Paul wasn't trying to negate the rest of the passage.

Wives Submitting to Husbands
Verse 22 tells wives to "submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord". When a Christian wife submits herself to her husband for the right reasons, she isn't doing it for him, at least not just for him. Her concern is to please the Lord.

Characteristics of Wifely Submission
I Peter 2 talks about submission. It talks about submitting to governments. Then Peter writes about slaves submitting to masters, even harsh masters. It is clear here, that submission means submission, not something else. The passage continues.

1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

This is another key passage on the wife submitting to her husband. An unbelieving man could potentially be won to Christ by a submissive wife.

What does submission look like? Ephesians 5 says for wives to submit to their husbands in everything. I Peter gives us a few hints about what a submissive wife looks like. She has the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. Let's think about the wife that is the opposite of meek and quiet. Hmmm. Loud and proud.

A wife who has a problem with submission may be the type to speak when she should be quiet, or to speak loudly when she should offer a soft word. The husband has bad news, like he got into an accident or wrecked the car, or he forgot to send in a payment. He dreads telling his wife because she is going to 'chew him out', with a barrage of critical verbage. She wouldn't talk to her boss like that. A master wouldn't talk to a slave like that. Children shouldn't talk to their parents (even if both are adults) like that. And she wouldn't talk to Jesus like that, but she talks to her husband like that.

The submissive Christian wife married to a loving husband does not bury all of her thoughts. If she has a problem, she can talk about it. But she speaks in a respectful manner. She doesn't chew her husband out. She doesn't get angry over small things, like his doing the dishes a little differently, and talk down to him like she is the boss. She respects his position as head. If she sees some area in his life she points it out with meekness, a way which is so much easier to recieve.

Men can be quarrelsome at times. But it is interesting to note that Proverbs warns of the quarrelsome wife. But I don't recall any verses about a quarrelsome husband.
Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

Proverbs 21:19
Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife. (NIV)
Proverbs 27:15
A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day;

We probably can all think of a quarrelsome woman. You see her poor husband listening to her shrill voice. Men think "I am glad I am not married to her." There are milder versions of the quarrelsome woman, and any woman can be tempted to treat her husband this way.

In many cases, the power to start or stop quarreling in a marriage lies with the wife. The idea of a man yelling at his wife for no good reason (e.g. about to get hit by the bus) does not seem consistent to me with the love of Christ. The idea of a woman yelling at her husband, whom she is to submit to as unto the Lord, certainly runs contrary to the teaching of the Bible.

Quarrelling between husband and wife would simply vanish in a number of marriages if wives obeyed the simple principles of submitting to and respecting their husbands. If a woman respects her husband as the leader, she doesn't yell at him or speak to him in a disrespectful manner. She addresses him as the leader in the home, not as someone beneath her, not as she speaks to her children. Even if she is married to a loud man who yells at her, if she responds with a soft answer, many men will quickly calm down and be quiet. If she is married to a mild mannered man, but taking a submissive respectful attitude when she speaks, quarreling can virtually cease from the marriage. Of course, if a woman fails in this area, a Christ-like husband would forgive her. But as a leader in the home and as a brother in Christ, he should hold he accountable.

It is funny how a woman could hear preaching on slaves submitting to masters applied to the employee boss relationship, and have no problem submitting to her boss, but when it comes to submitting to her husband, some women have a problem. She wouldn't go into her boss's office and tell him off, wagging her finger in his face and saying, "If you hadn't decided to launch that new product three months ago, our bonuses would have all been a lot better." But she might do something similar to her husband. If her boss made a decision for the office that wasn't her first choice, she would accept it. But if she discusses a decision with her husband, she might not accept it when he makes a decision. She tells her husband she wants him to be a leader, but when he does, she doesn't follow.

Peter wanted women to have a meek and Meekness is a good, godly quality. It takes an internal strength to be meek and quiet when one should. So often, the human ego wants to puff itself up. And it is easy to run our mouths without thinking. The woman of God who submits to her husband knows that she needs to watch what she says. Since she submits as unto the Lord, the respect she shows her husband is done in reverence to Christ.

Obedience

Peter writes of holy women of old that they were "submissive to their own husbands" 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

This is an interesting passage. First, we need to notice that the submission of wives to husbands is reflected in obedience to the husband. The Greek word translated 'obeyed' here is also used in relation to children and their parents.

When did Sarah obey Abraham? Sarah obeyed Abraham when he told her to call her his sister, obeying even to the point of going into the housees of kings who would have her as wife. (A strange example for us Christian folks.) So apparently Sarah did obey her husband. Sarah also called Abraham 'lord' when she heard that she would give birth to Isaac. This showed the extent of her obedience to Abraham, and Peter uses it as an example.

Of course, obedience is to be obedience 'in the Lord.' There can be ethical dilemmas where obeying one commandment contradicts another. The apostles had to keep on preaching Christ when the authorities told them not to because they decided to obey God rather than men. But a submissive heart doesn't go looking for any little excuse to not obey. Obedience to governmental authorities and husband headship is to be done as unto the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erth

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't wish to put anyone on the spot, but since this is LinkH's thread, why don't we allow Link to explain how these verses work out and apply in his own marriage. I think it's worth a listen don't you? If he truly takes the verses for what they are (shouldn't we do that anyways?) and it works in his marriage, why not give it a try?

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If we elect an authority, then shouldn't we give honor to that authority and treat him with respect? If the authority is good, he will give ear to what we say. Yet he is still the leader and we are not.

Link is right, we typically have to give honor to authority in some way, whether it is policemen, presidents, bosses, and yes spiritual authority too. It's the way God works, there are leaders and there are followers. We can't ALL be leaders in this world, it doesn't work that way. God is a God of order and structure.

If you look at the Scriptures, humility is blessed. Rebellion is never blessed. We aren't told to rebel against authority, even secular authority.

There is authority for nations, authority for churches, authority in the home. Anarchy in the family just doesn't work. I do believe a portion of the excessive disarray in today's families is due to the fact that no one gives heed to the concept of authority and respect. Wives who are quarrelsome and disrespect the hubsand/father show their children a terrible example.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't wish to put anyone on the spot, but since this is LinkH's thread, why don't we allow Link to explain how these verses work out and apply in his own marriage. I think it's worth a listen don't you? If he truly takes the verses for what they are (shouldn't we do that anyways?) and it works in his marriage, why not give it a try?

He compares his relationship to his wife to that which a slave has to his/her master. I can think of several reasons to not give it a try. hth

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
And we don't serve Master YHWH? And we are not His servants? Is not Christ our head and we serve Him? And isn't our relationship to Christ what was used as an example of marriage?

What are your several reasons? Husbands aren't perfect (neither are we), but Paul says not to be afraid if we want to be like Sarah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LinkH, frankly my husband and I do not see submission in the home as one submits to one's boss or one's government. For one thing I'd hate to be married to my boss and I will not even bring up the master/slave relationship. You can not be fully honest with your boss, you can not show how much you may care for him, that is a professional relationship. We are a new couple but our relationship is one based on love and respect. The type of relationship you describe, if it was my only option, I would much rather remain single. It is quite possible to realize a wife is a person also deserving of respect and not like a child at all. However I think quite unconventionally in these things. People often get upset I don't treat people so differently because of their stations; I try to be a gracious to the cashiers at the supermarket as to my professors as to my bosses but none get the love or respect I give to my husband.

Also the bible never says it is good for woman to find a husband like it says it is for a man. In many parts we just are not given the perspective of women which may be why mentioning a quarrelsome husband was not mentioned :).

Reactions: Erth
Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He compares his relationship to his wife to that which a slave has to his/her master. I can think of several reasons to not give it a try. hth

i don't think that is really an accurate generalization. The point is that the word translated 'submission' means submission and that it should be taken seriously. I've heard arguments to the contrary. Notice also I mentioned submission to governments. Sarah calling Abraham her master (or lord depending on the translation) is right from the Bible. The analogy I came up with was an employee.

I don't treat my wife like a slave. I doubt even most first century unbelieving husbands in the Roman or Jewish cultures did either.

One reason I included this line of argument about Christians submitting to government, children to parents, slaves to masters, and Abraham to Sarah, calling him lord, and not talking to Jesus disrespectfully, is because I prayed this to the Lord about my own marriage, asking the Lord to consider what I was saying, correct me if I was wrong, and otherwise to speak that to my wife. A few days later, my wife came to me asking for forgiveness for four other things I prayed about. Two weeks later or so, she told me about the Lord speaking to her saying, 'Would you talk to me like that?' asking her if she would talk to her lord like that. (Lord in her language, which is tuan, and is used a bit milder like sen~or in Spanish.) I posted another testimony thread about this. She also encouraged me to share the testimony, something I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing otherwise. I would categorize some of her issues as mild compared to some other women, but she says her following this has brought much greater peace to her personally. It has also revitalized our relationship.

The real issue here is what is the Lord's will. Does what I am saying here line up with scripture? Does the Bible teach wives to submit to their husbands? Does God want this? Is it pleasing to the Lord? If it is, do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nilla

No longer on staff
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden
✟56,683.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mediation Hat On

modhat2.jpg

I'm not going to try and put words in the mouth of the OP here so this is my take on the OP. First of all he does not in one place say or hint that a wife should be the slave of her husband. He did give examples of other kind of submissive types of relationships but that's in no way saying that they are one and the same. At least not the way I read it. But I'm going to let the OP explain that for himself since he and only he knows exactly what he means.

Second - if you don't like to discuss this topic, then there's really no reason to post. It's ok to post and disagree - but do so in a respectful way.

Mediation Hat Off
Subscribing to this thread​

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think that in the passages you refer to the character of Christ and the church need to be examined first. Is our relationship with Christ that of slave to Master? It doesn't seem so. Why else does he call his disciples friends? Why else does he call them to imitate him, be more than they believe they are? So if we look at that first, the submission Christ calls us to is hardly just to serve at his pleasure. If we look at what Christ actually wants from the disciples, he wants them to be good and loyal friends, listen to him with respect, and be honest, focused on God and so on. I wonder if we could agree that this is the case.

Now on the other hand, Christ to the Church is hardly Simon LeGree. Washing feet and feeding multitudes, healing, teaching, leading that we might be like him...hardly whips and chains.

This is a good model of biblical love as a basis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
There is blessing in obedience! I say, why not just try following the Scriptural model for wives just as how it's written. You can't go wrong obeying God! It may really spark a change!

I think it would be awesome (though probably won't happen) if we could all take a 7-day challenge to carry out our own end of the Scriptures pertaining marriage.

Upvote 0

Tannic

Dec 29, 2007
✟1,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is blessing in obedience! I say, why not just try following the Scriptural model for wives just as how it's written. You can't go wrong obeying God! It may really spark a change!

I think it would be awesome (though probably won't happen) if we could all take a 7-day challenge to carry out our own end of the Scriptures pertaining marriage.

A 7 day challenge? Wow... that would be interesting.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe its pleasing to the Lord for my husband and I to submit to one another..Not a one way street at all.my husband isnt God and he is not my authority..But thats MY marriage..I would never tell somone else that its "working for them" that the wife beleives hes(her husband) her authority and she "submits" to him based on that NOT to do that as long as their is no abuse happening and she is happy I really personally dont care either way..

But I refuse to be "characterized" myself as a married Christian woman as comparable to an "employee' under my husbands authortiy because its point blank untrue..Im equal to him but we have our differences as in strengths and weaknesess we lean on one another..hes not my head hes not my 'leader" we walk side by side..Period..bottom line is I don't NEED a "leader" in my personal life other than God..Humans are imerfect anyway so for me I can only see disaster (IN MY LIFE) beleiving another falible human being no stronger than me (in general) needs to be my "boss"(as in me the employee)..My husband isnt under any illusion at this point he has been awarded some divine gift of 'authority" simply becasue he was born with a penis rather than a vagina(and the other male parts versus female)..which is good becasue if he tried to tell me that he knows I would get a good laugh over it..in fact I would assume he was joking..(because he would be)...

But to each his own..I only care when the dynamic leads to abuse and ill treatment of the woman..which happens a lot..Thats why Im thankful their is what I consider to be the CORRECT belief systems and teaching availble for those who understand that the submissive wife stance is antiquated and was in a time thats how society was set up and so they went with teachings based on that reality..We dont live liek that anymore..women have rights and are considered equals in more (most) areas of life..therefore the teachings to submit to God and to submit to one another..Is far easier to "grasp" because its so much closer to reality ...

Hope that makes sense..

Dallas

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And how exactly is that......isn't that more accurately said "how you interpret it"? If that's the case...(how it's interpreted)....I would expect that ALL of us *are* in obedience to God. I can only speak for myself.....but, I *know* there is no way I would want to have any attitude or behavior that isn't pleasing to Him. I wouldn't want to limit obedience to God to 7 days......my aim is to be in obedience to Him each day---there is no better or safer place to be!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I already carry out 'my own end"..Im love my husband ..And I dont personally need any 'spark" of change at this moment in time and if I do..the answer for me wont be "trying' to pretend my husband is my "boss"..If I need a "spark of change" I go get on my knees and talk to God about ME .. what it is thats hurting my heart ..or causing me regret ..I dont read scripture like its a play..and switch 'roles" and start pretending things that arent even true like for example my husbnd is my authority..Sorry if Im goign to "role play" its going to involve a stage and an audience and I'll do it for the thrill of it temporarily and to get the "applause" then go back to being who I really am after the act is over..

Dallas

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.