Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I always wanted to get into this but it’s difficult where I live as my signal is very undependable. Does anyone else do this? I ran across this article that has tips for research.

Genealogy Basics: 8 Tips for Tracing Your Family Tree Online
As someone who was adopted, I was very keen to find out about my birth family's history.
These days there are plenty of family history resources online to make the task so much easier and smoother.
I had a rare birth surname, so it did not take me long to find plenty of matches. Within a matter of weeks, I was able to trace the family tree on my father's side of the family. They all lived in Cornwall and Devon and there are records going back to the 15th and 16th centuries. Interestingly, during my research, I did a random search on my grandmother's maiden name. I found that there was a large family of people who lived together in the same hamlet. A family history book had been produced about them which contained black and white photographs of my ancestors. This was available to purchase online - and of course I did! :)

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I always wanted to get into this but it’s difficult where I live as my signal is very undependable. Does anyone else do this? I ran across this article that has tips for research.

Genealogy Basics: 8 Tips for Tracing Your Family Tree Online
Yes, I have traced my family on line also, and found that my family was begun by two brothers who were born in France, and came over to England to fight for the King.
They were subsequently knighted for their service, had a coat of arms made, and fought in some tournaments.
But from there, the history is vague, and apparently they died without issue.
So what surname line was left after that must have been carried on by their servants, and was probably not a direct line.

Upvote 0

deanerenata32

Jul 8, 2021
greeneville
✟10,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For years my grandma would brag (without any evidence) that our family was directly descended from Queen Mary of Scots, but my little sister took a DNA test and had her proved wrong! Now she has shut up about it.

The DNA test proves we are mostly English, not Scottish. Queen Mary was Scottish, and we are only about 1% Scottish. If we are in any way related to the late Queen, the relationship is so weak that it's a joke.

Upvote 0

deanerenata32

Jul 8, 2021
greeneville
✟10,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So I am about 99% English and only 1% Scottish.

Years ago when I was 15 I went to my local library and I did do some research into my family history but being that I am not a professional I didn't get very far. I did, however, figure out that on my grandmother's side of the family one of my ancestors was a baptist preacher.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As someone who was adopted, I was very keen to find out about my birth family's history.
These days there are plenty of family history resources online to make the task so much easier and smoother.
I had a rare birth surname, so it did not take me long to find plenty of matches. Within a matter of weeks, I was able to trace the family tree on my father's side of the family. They all lived in Cornwall and Devon and there are records going back to the 15th and 16th centuries. Interestingly, during my research, I did a random search on my grandmother's maiden name. I found that there was a large family of people who lived together in the same hamlet. A family history book had been produced about them which contained black and white photographs of my ancestors. This was available to purchase online - and of course I did! :)

That was wonderful to be able to purchase that book! Fantastic to have photos and names of your ancestors.
For years my grandma would brag (without any evidence) that our family was directly descended from Queen Mary of Scots, but my little sister took a DNA test and had her proved wrong! Now she has shut up about it.

The DNA test proves we are mostly English, not Scottish. Queen Mary was Scottish, and we are only about 1% Scottish. If we are in any way related to the late Queen, the relationship is so weak that it's a joke.

Oops - poor Granny!

Gillian

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0